Camp Fire

Adore u, Pretty u

The day had came. The day where Mari and Yeorum as well as students of Gangnam Academy will spend two days to stay in the school.

Mari put her belongings to the floor. She let out a heavy sigh. She looked up to see her parents were smiling to her, then she turned to Vernon who was watching her with his hands in his pockets.

“Do I really have to go?” Mari pouted.

Her mother chuckled, “Of course you do, Mari.”

“But, this is not really a camp fire.” Mari sighed.

“There’s no point complaining.” Vernon said.

“Hansol is right, You’ll be okay. Just two days.” Her father added as he wrapped his arm around Mari’s shoulder.

Mari narrowed her eyes to her father, “Dad, you look happy.”

“What are you talking about? I will miss you, My princess.” Her father grinned.

“Ahjussi is happy because he’s got me to play chess with.” Vernon gave her a smirk.

Mari snorted, “Traitor.”

“I will go with you to your school.” Vernon said, “Come on,”

Mari nodded. Vernon took her bag and walked out of her house. Mari waved to her parents and hurried after Vernon.

They walked to the Bus Stop. After the bus arrived, they got into the bus and were sitting next to each other.

“Be honest with me,” Vernon suddenly said. Mari turned to him in wonder, “You’re half excited, aren’t you?”

As he said, Mari started to smile.

“Of course, I am!” She giggled, “Imagine that I could get close to him just makes me happy.”

“You’re there to study not to have fun, you know that right?” Vernon said.

Mari smiled and turned to him, “Tell me, tell me, Hansol! How is he in your eyes?”

“Hmm…” Vernon looked up, suddenly Seungcheol’s figure was there. “In my eyes? He’s a great hyung. He’s nice.”

“Then?!” Mari eagerly asked.

“He’s smart. Both in lessons and sports. He…” Vernon slowly turned to Mari. He could see lights contained in her eyes. She looked like someone who adore her idol so much. “He’s the right person to be admired.”

“You’re absolutely right!” Mari clapped, “When I saw him make a speech, I don’t know but I felt he was so cool. He even helped me.”

Vernon softened, “Yeah, but he’s too good for you.”

“Not again!” Mari quickly shot him a look.

“Just kidding.” Vernon smiled. He turned around and the Bus stopped. He stood up of his seat and rubbed Mari’s head before he got off first. Mari was stunned silence at first as she got confused. When she heard Vernon called her name, Mari quickly ran after him.

“I can do it,” Mari said as she tried to take her bag.

But Vernon took it away. He put his other hand in his pocket, “I will walk you into your school. I can’t see you for two days.”

Mari blinked, “Hansol…” almost moved.

“You will miss your morning devil.” Vernon added with a smirk.

Mari glared at him and pretended to hit him. Vernon started to laugh.

“You’re so mean.” She pouted, “You will miss me when I’m gone, Hansol.”

“Of course, I will.” Vernon replied.

Mari shot him a look, “I will not fall into the same hole!”

“I’m serious.” Vernon said as he stopped walking, “I’ll be lonely.”

Mari stopped walking and stared at Vernon. He gave this serious look to her. Vernon slowly smiled, “You know, We’ve been together since childhood. Since we were still in our mommies’ tummy, we were neighbors. We never parted. While on vacation too, we will go together. Don’t you think so?”

“Yeah, you’re right. But why are you suddenly telling me this?” Mari blinked at him.

Shrugging, Vernon started to walk again and Mari followed him, “I think maybe it’s time I get bored with you.”

“Vernon Chwe!” Mari snapped, felt upset.

“Geez, Mari. Hear me out, will ya?” Vernon turned to her. “I mean, we’re always together. You’re right. It’s time to look something new. That’s why I’m here, looking something new.”

Mari paused. She turned to Vernon who was looking around and smiling whenever there was someone greeted him. Wheter he knew them or not. Then she narrowed her eyes when some girls of her school walked passed him were giggling.

Her brows furrowed. She slightly ran to him and pulled his arm, making him turned to her, “When did I say that?!”

“You didn’t say that. But you said you found your true love.” Vernon raised an eyebrow.

“T-That’s different!” She merely said.

“What is the difference?”

“I-I mean you can’t do that here!”

“Why can’t I?”

“You just can’t!”

“Tell me why you can and I can’t.”

“You don’t need to find your true love! It’s just a myth!” Mari blurted.

Vernon stared at her in silence. There was an awkward silence briefly until he stared to laugh, “You’re impossible. So, Seungcheol hyung is a myth too, then?”

“Th-that’s not what I mean!” Mari shook her head in panic, “You don’t understand what I mean!”

Vernon laughed, “Then explain to me.”

Mari flushed. Her face was red but she couldn’t hide it.

“I’m just kidding, you stupid.” Vernon smirked. Vernon turned to her school then gave Mari her bag. “Don’t do anything silly.”

Mari took her bag and pouted, “I hate you.”

“I know, I love you too.” Vernon said. Mari looked away. Vernon softened and secretly smiled, “You bring your jacket?”

“Hmm,” Mari nodded.

“If you need something just call me, okay?”

Mari hissed, “You’re so excessive! It’s just for two days and I’m still in Seoul.”

“Don’t do anything silly. Don’t try to sneak out of school at night.” Vernon warned.

“I know! I know! Just go!” Mari softly pushed Vernon to leave her school.

“You’re sulking, aren’t you?”

“Vernon!” Mari frustrated. She gasped when she realized that Seungcheol and his friends were there watching them.

“Oh, hyung.” Vernon greeted his friends.

Mari hissed. She suddenly ran into her school.

“You know, Vernon.” Joshua laughed, “You sounded like her father.”

“I couldn’t resist, hyung.” Vernon smiled.

“Mari is so cute. Isn’t she, Seungcheol? We were watching both of you quarelling and I couldn’t stop smiling.” Jeonghan said.

“She’s like a little sister.” Joshua added.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Seungcheol chuckled, “How nice of you to taking her to her first camp fire.”

“Camp fire,” Vernon snorted and then laughed, “She’s not really excited.”

“Me too,” Joshua agreed.

“Me three.” Jeonghan added as he waved back to some female juniors who were waving at him.

“See you, Vernon.” Joshua patted his shoulder and walked passed him as well as Jeonghan.

Seungcheol smiled and was about follow his friends.

“Hyung,” Vernon suddenly called.

Seungcheol turned around to see him, “What?”

“Ng… Nevermind. Can you look after her… for me?”

Seungcheol blinked to him, “Mari? Sure. She’s a lovely junior after all.”

“That’s… That’s not what I mean hyung. I mean… Nevermind hyung. I’m sorry, Thank you.” Vernon smiled and left.

Seungcheol just stared at him and then walked into the school.

 

***

 

Mari was in her class. The first lesson hasn’t started yet. She stared at the empty desk. She didn’t even listen to Yeorum who was talking.

Yeorum realized that she being ignored. She sighed and knocked on the desk, “Hello? You there, Kim Mari?”

Mari snapped out of her thoughts and looked up to her bestfriend. “Y-yeah?”

“What’s wrong with you?” Yeorum asked, “I thought you’re excited.”

“I am…” Mari sighed, “But… Nevermind. This is only Vernon, who always pisses me off.”

Yeorum nodded in understanding, “I’ve been thinking about plans for tonight.”

“What would you do? Vernon told me not to do silly things.” Mari said.

“Oh, come on Mari. We’ll just sneak out to meet Sunbaes. And I’m sure they will sneak out tonight.” Yeorum nodded firmly.

Mari shook her head, “Vernon told me not to sneak out.”

Yeorum stared at Mari in disbelief, “Mari? Who are you and what are you doing to Mari?”

“Huh?” Mari bewildered.

“Since when did you become very obedient to him?”

Mari startled. She took out her palms and waved it to Yeorum, telling her that was not what she meant. “It’s not like that. Li-listen, Yeorum. We’re here to study.”

“I swear you’re weird today. Is there something wrong?” Yeorum raised an eyebrow to her.

“I don’t know!” Mari squealed as she covered her head with her hands on the table. Yeorum kept staring at her in confusion. Not long after that, Mari lifted up her head and turned to Yeorum, “But I did want to see Seungcheol sunbae…”

“So we agreed.” Yeorum grinned, “You don’t need to worry, just follow me and you’ll meet your prince.” She promised.

Mari smiled widely to Yeorum. She couldn’t wait for tonight. Even though Vernon’s words were always flying in her mind. She didn’t care at all.

 

***

 

They began to study. From morning until evening. Sure there was break times too. After a few hours of studying, the night came. The students were in their class, preparing to sleep in sleeping bag. Boys and girls were separated.

Mari was really tired. She felt her whole body was already stiff. She loosened her body and turned to Yeorum who was busy with her phone.

“Aren’t you tired, Yeorum?” Mari asked but Yeorum didn’t answer her. Mari paused and quietly brought her body closer to Yeorum and peeked to her phone. She widened her eyes in surprise, “Joshua sunbae?!”

Yeorum startled and pulled her phone away from Mari. She hid it behind her body and grinned, “No, you’re wrong.”

“I swear it was Joshua Hong!” Mari whispered, “What’s this all mean?!”

“Mari, this is one of my plan.”

“What plan?! How can you have his contact?!” Mari didn’t stop asking.

Yeorum turned around and quickly covered Mari’s mouth with her palm, “Joshua sunbae told me he would sneak out tonight.”

Mari pulled Yeorum’s palm away, “They’re really going to sneak? Impossible! Seungcheol sunbae was a President Student Council!”

“We’ll go after all of them sleep.” Yeorum stated.

“Are you serious, Lee Yeorum? What if we get caught? I thought you were joking.”

“I told you, didn’t I? Just follow me and you’ll meet your prince.” Yeorum whispered. She lay down and told Mari to do the same. Mari stared at her for a few moment and then did the same as she whispered to her, “You’re imposibble.”

When Yeorum was already convinced that everyone was sleeping. She started to make a move. Mari who didn’t have a choice could just let go and followed her. They managed to get out of the class room without making a fuss.

“Where are we going?” Mari carefully asked.

Yeorum grabbed Mari’s hand and led the way. Mari sighed, she really had no choice and just let her bestfriend dragged her everywhere. At least, she could meet Seungcheol.

Yeorum brightened when she spotted Joshua and Jeonghan, While Mari only have Seungcheol in her eyes.

Seungcheol widened his eyes when he saw Mari and Yeorum, “Why are you here?”

“You shouldn’t be out here.” Jeonghan eyed them.

“Yeorum…” Joshua slapped his hand over his face. He turned to both of his friends with guilty look, “I’m sorry guys. She asked me and I told her that I would sneak out with you guys. But I don’t know that she really will come here.”

Yeorum grinned, “I love to break the rules.”

Seungcheol shook his head, “Don’t follow us. Go back to your class.” He said as he eyed Mari, “You should stop her.”

Mari looked down with a sigh, “I’m sorry, Sunbae. We’ll go back now.”

“No!” Yeorum snapped, “We’ve been here.”

“Yeorum!” Mari snapped back at her, “Come on!”

“I said no.” Yeorum turned away as she crossed her arms.

Mari knew how stubborn Yeorum. She let out a heavy sigh and looked up to Seungcheol.

“Mari… You can get into trouble.” Seungcheol softly said.

“What about you? You were President Student Council and what are you doing now? You’re getting ready to sneak out.” Mari replied and Seungcheol balked.

“Yeah, she’s right. You’re giving bad examples to your juniors.” Yeorum added while Jeonghan and Joshua laughed.

“WHO’S THAT?”

The five of them froze.

“WHO’S THAT?! ARE YOU A STUDENT?!”

Mari and Yeorum gasped. Seungcheol grabbed Mari’s hand and started to run while Yeorum went with Jeonghan and Joshua.

Seungcheol took Mari to hide in an unlocked room in the school. Mari was right behind him while Seungcheol occasionally peeked to the window.

Mari couldn’t help but felt happy when she looked that her hand was in Seungcheol’s hand. Her smile on her face grew bigger.

“Sunbae…” Mari whispered. “I’m sorry.”

Seungcheol turned to Mari and stiffened when both of the realized how close their faces were to each other. Seungcheol slowly lifted his gaze to Mari and they stared into each other eyes.

A flashlight broke the gazing contest. Seungcheol bowed his head down as well as Mari.

“This is not your fault.” Seungcheol suddenly replied as he whispered. “We’ll be okay.”

Mari nodded with a smile on her face, “If you say so.”

Seungcheol softened and patted Mari’s head. He looked up and there was no Flashlight anymore outside the room. Seungcheol approached the door and opened the door. He turned to Mari when he couldn’t open the door.

“Su-sunbae?”

“Don’t worry, Mari.”

Seungcheol kept trying to open the door but how many time he did it, he couldn’t open it.

“!” Seungcheol kicked the door. “The door is broken. We locked in here.”

Mari gave Seungcheon a horror look.

I don’t know if I should be happy or not…


Well:)