Passing By

Crosswalk

CHAPTER 1: Passing By

 

Today is just another bad day for me. I got scolded by the minimarket supervisor because of my “rude” behavior to the customer who was actually doing something rude to me at the first place. Maybe I’m shoving his hand off of mine is more inappropriate than him trying to caress my hand when I’m giving a change money. To worsen my mood, I got a phone call from my mom when I just lay my back on a bed.

“Mom, how many times do I have to tell you to just leave him?” I responded to mom telling me that my dad have just abused her, again.

“But he’s your dad. How can I leave him alone?” Mom was giving a rhetorical answer that I have known.

I made a sigh. And after that, there was silent for a while until mom asking the question that I have expected. “Can you lend us some money?”

“Last week I have lend you some mom, why do you need it again?”

“It was gone, Kyung.. You know your dad..” Mom’s answer instantly boiled my blood.

“Yes, I know my dad! And you know him too! So why’d you and I keep taking care of him?! He never taking care of us, mom!”

Mom was crying to hear my ramble. I knew it, because she always did. She always solve anything with tears. Yeah, because I don’t have a heart to hear her cry.

“Stop crying, mom.. I’m sorry.. I know you’ve been trying so hard to endure all of this..” I made a deep sigh before saying, “I transferred some to your bank account tomorrow..”

“Mom is sorry, Kyung.. We always burden you.. I’m sorry..”

Mom’s sob is my weakness, like while hearing her sob, many scenes of dad abusing mom was flashing in my mind making me want to end her misery. So I said, “It’s okay mom.. I love you..”

“I love you my daughter..”

 

I hung up the phone and closed my eyes. Trying to erase everything bad that happened. I really want to have a calm and peaceful life, but why it was so hard to get. I thought running away will end my misery, but the fact, it was always haunting me.

 

-00-

 

I opened my eyes and continued to live my life. At the day I worked at minimarket, at night I worked at Cafe. I used to be their waitress, but my Boss saw my talent and asked me to be their singer. I love singing. Singing takes away half of weight on my shoulder. And while singing on stage I feel like I’m a queen that is adored by many people. I feel like I am worth their attention. People clasping their hands and showing me their smile is like a medicine to my chronic sad life.

I went inside the Cafe from the back door and greeted some of the staffs while walking to my dressing room at the end of the corridor. I directly changed into a black mini dress and applied my makeup. Cat eyes and red lips as my signature makes me confident. Then I walked out the dressing room to the mini stage in the corner of the cafe.

I greeted my fellow band mates and they told me the song that I have to sing. I nodded and sat in a tools while reaching my microphone. As soon as they started to play the music, I sang the song.

 

#np: Davichi – Spring.

Spring.

Love is leaving.

 

It’s a sad song. I didn’t know why they choose this song as the opening of the performance, but somehow it remind me about my bad day. No. Not my bad day, my bad.... life.

 

Yes.

There was nowhere to lean on.

 

Scenes of the series of unfortunate events that happened in my life were flashing in my mind. Started from how broken my family, how my love made me feel like a trash, and my unachieved dream.

 

I have nothing left. Not even a trace of you

Just like snow melting, I’m not here either.

My world is breaking apart, even though I try to endure it.

 

I closed my eyes, trying to hold my tears as I too much feeling the song.

And I opened it again to end the song with a word, I love you...

As I opened my eyes, I was surprised to see a figure in front of me. An unexpected figure that I have never imagined will come again in my life.

He was smiling at me. So warm. His smile is always making me warm.

I was mesmerized by his appearance for a second, until I remembered that I have to greet the audience.

 

“Spring by Davichi to start tonight’s performance and also to start this new season. Yes, spring. A lovely season that should be filled with romance and happiness.” I said it as my eyes still couldn’t go away from him.

“I hope no one feel lonely in this spring and can be together with the loved ones.. So, for the next song I will sing a cheerful song. A song from K.will. Love Blossom.”

This time I stood up and sang the song cheerfully. I saw him mouthing fighting as he lifted his hand to cheer me up.

He didn’t change at all. Still the kind Lee Jaehwan that I know.

 

-00-

 

After singing few songs, we had a break for couple of minutes. That time I used to approach Jaehwan. He was sitting together with a few guys. One of the guys I have already known, Mr. Kim Sunggyu, this Cafe loyal customer. He even had a duet with me a few weeks ago.

Even before I reached their table, Jaehwan has already welcoming me with calling my name.

“Kyuuuung...”

I smiled to see him waving his hands happily like a little kid to me. My mood instantly raised up, “Jaehwan aaah...”

“Come sit here..” He let me sit next to him in a round table filled with another three guys.

“Anyeonghaseyo..” I bowed to them before sitting.

“Anyeong Miss. Kyungri..” Sunggyu greeted back comfortably. “I didn’t know that you’re Jaehwan’s friend.”

“Ah, yee. I’m his high school mate..”

“Well, do you remember him?” Jaehwan directly pointed on a guy who have a flower boy’s looks.

But I didn’t remember who he is, so I hesitated to answer.

“I’m Lee Hongbin, a year below you at high school..” He answered casually.

“Ah! So you’re my junior? I’m sorry I don’t really familiar with faces..”

“It’s okay..” A dimple shown as he smiled to me.

“So, since you have known Sunggyu hyung and Hongbin. I only have to introduce you this guy.” He pointed on a guy next to him. “He is Jung Taekwoon. My sunbae.”

“Ah yee, I’m Park Kyungri..” I bowed to him and he replied with a light nod.

“Woah, I didn’t know that I will meet you here, Kyung.. If I have known that you work here, I will come here every day!” He said it in high spirit.

“Yeah, now that you have known. You should come here every day, Hwan ah!” I followed his joke.

That made them laugh.

“But seriously, I didn’t even know that you’re also moving in Seoul..” Jaehwan added.

“Yeah, so many people move here, so I just follow along.” I answered lightly despite the fact that I moved to Seoul to run away from home.

Jaehwan laughed and then said, “Thanks to Gyu Hyung for taking us here, so I can meet my long-lost friend..”

I smiled to hear him saying long-lost friend.

“Yeah, actually I take them here deliberately to see you, Miss. Kyungri..” Sunggyu said.

I was surprised. “Me?”

“Yeah, I’m kinda wanting to match you with Hongbin.. He have just broke up.” Sunggyu said it in a teasing tone.

That was making Hongbin mad. “Yaa, Hyung!”

I could only laugh softly to see them joking around.

But then Sunggyu said, “Because he looks so pathetic, he’s the only single man here..”

He’s the only single man? So, Jaehwan already has a girlfriend?  My mind threw that question without I could filter. What are you thinking Kyung? Of course a nice guy like Jaehwan has already someone next to him. How dare you to even think of that he’s still single.

I tried to cheer myself up with smiling as I moved my glance from Jaehwan to Hongbin.

Hongbin tried to change the conversation. “You should take Hani noona here too, Hyung..” Then he looked at me. “You know Hani noona, right?”

Hani? Of course. Only listened to her name could bring me back to old memory.

“Yeah, I know her. Is she come back from Paris?” I tried to sound normal.

“Yup, for a quite moment, right Hyung?” Hongbin answered casually as he asked for a support from Jaehwan.

Jaehwan only replied with a nod smile.

“I see..” I tried to act normal. But then a member of my band waved his hand to sign me to come back to the stage. “Aah, I’m afraid that I have to go back to work now..”

“Oh, it’s okay Kyung.. I’m sorry that I disturb you..” Jaehwan kindly replied.

“No.. you should come back here Hwan ah.. Take Hani too..” Even though I didn’t mean the last sentence, but I smiled to make it look sincere.

“Yeah.. Just go.. I want to listen to you singing again..” He gave me his wide smile before I left them to the stage.

 

-00-

 

As a few moments passed, I saw Jaehwan signaling me that they have to go. I nodded lightly and smiled. Then he waved his hands again like a little kid making me chuckle.

 

A bittersweet feeling creeping out on me. I was happy because I saw Jaehwan today, someone who I have known for a long time ago, someone who used to take a place in my heart, my first crush. But I was also sad that he’s only passing by.

He never meant to stay with you, Kyung.. I told to myself.

But thank you Hwan ah.. Even only passing by, you have already giving a light in the darkness of my life.

I hope we can meet again, soon..

 

[the picture of Kyungri looking Jaehwan waving his hands at her]

#bgm: Davichi - Spring

 

A/N: Feel free to give comments, see you in the next chapter ^^

 

-Short Extra-

 

“Kyungri ssi.. A guest leave you this note.” Said one of the waiter as I went to the dressing room after finishing the performance.

“Thank you” I told to the waiter and opened the note.

Kyung, this is my number. Call me soon, okay? *wink* –Cutie Hwan-

As soon as I finished reading, my lips made a curve.

Guess, he's not only passing by

 

[A picture of Kyungri smiling]