YERIM

Perhaps It's Love?

The first thing Kim Yerim wanted to see today was the handsome Chemistry tutor who lives next to her but it turned out the first thing she saw today was the swollen face of Park Jinsil. She still hasn’t fathom what happen yesterday with Jinsil’s twin, Park Jimin, when she called her over last night. She was sleeping and half-awake when Jinsil called her in the middle of the night, sobbing and telling her how much Park Jimin meant to her but at the same time, she felt so wrong.

And it continues today.

“He said to forget him.” She hiccups along their way, “‘We will never be together’ he said. How can Jimin be so cruel like that?” She hiccups again from her sobbing. Yerim gives her the tissue from her blazer’s pocket and gave it to Jinsil.

She took it without hesitation and blows her nose.

“You’ve been talking about this since last night.” Yerim sigh as she massages her temple. “It can’t help. Your kind of love is , Jinsil.”

Jinsil sobbed, “But he’s my first love.” She nuzzled her nose against the tissue to wipe the remaining water running on her nose, “I love him so much.”

Yerim fall silent as Jinsil continue to blow her nose with the tissue she give. It has been bothering her for a while – no, it’s not for a while, but ever since she knew the Park twins. She wanted to question Jinsil from the beginning but she keeps it to herself. Maybe it’s just some of her doubts. She’ll leave them alone alright.

Why aren't the Park twins look alike? Haven’t you heard of non-identical twins Kim Yerim? That thing existed you know.

That kind of question, she wanted to ask her or him but it’s just too stupid. Every single person has learned about the evolution of identical and non-identical twins, right? They probably have born from different eggs. That’s all. Nothing more.

But it is really bothering her and it was weird. She had never been this curious before.

“If only we’re not related by blood.” Jinsil continues to sob “I will definitely marry him!”

What to do, Park Jinsil? He is your twin brother. Your own related, blood twin brother. She really wanted to say that out loud but what good things ever come if she said that? She’ll probably ruin their friendship in advance.

And Kim Yerim has worked out for this kind of friendship. She doesn’t want to lose her one and only best friend.

Just when Yerim was lost in thought, she stumbled upon the person she didn’t expect to see in the early morning.

“Oh, Jeon Jungkook!” she exclaimed, “You’re early.”

Jungkook strides lazily to his seat while yawning as he plops down on his settee, head on the table immediately soon as he arrived. He didn’t bother to say ‘Good Morning’ like Park Jimin would to everyone.

Just knowing he is present for today’s attendance was enough.

Jinsil blinked her eyes upon seeing the strange looking scene between Yerim and Jungkook and she decided to ask her directly while batting her eyelashes.

“Did you two dating?”

Kim Yerim swears she should choke her best friend to death exactly that time. But that’s not going to go anywhere other than going to jail and wearing jail jumpsuit is not her style and eating jail food is worse than eating hospital food so she just keeps that in her mind.

She was about to answer the curious girl but Jeon Jungkook was faster.

“We aren’t.”

He was awake, yes. He heard them and he went back to buried his face on the desk.

“What was that?” Jinsil rolled her eyes. “I’m asking Yerim, not you.”

“Well Jinsil, it involves both of me and Jungkook.” Yerim answered on her own behalf calmly “It’s normal for him to answer too.”

Jinsil puffed her cheeks, somewhat unsatisfied on the current topic they were discussing. But her face changes when the unexpected twin brother come towards her – oh, no. Not her, but to Jungkook. He goes to Jungkook and taps his head with bunch of papers on his hands. He sighs at the latter that didn’t budge a little from the place he was sleeping and he had to drag the guy by his collar.

Both the girls were looking while Jimin dragged the sleeping beast on the floor. Where they are going, both of them didn’t have a clue.

“I’m amazed that Jungkook can sleep while being dragged around,” Jinsil spoke after a moment of silence.

Yerim nods her head in agreement. That was just fascinating.

Then she heard Jinsil sigh, the words come afterward was shocking her to the extent she wanted to push that girl out from the third-floor window.

“Why didn’t he drag me around like that when we were at home?”

Yerim stares at her best friend like she had done something wrong in her life to deserve this kind of punishment upon her. It’s just like God was testing her friendship and patience at the same time this year.

What did I do to deserve this…

“You’re surprisingly a masochist, aren’t you?”

Jinsil blinked but before she could say or ask more, the homeroom teacher has made her way inside the classroom for the homeroom class for that day. Jinsil had no choice but to keep it to her and turned around to face the teacher.

“So I have been discussing with the other homerooms teacher of the senior classes,” Ms.Kim as stern as always, she looks into every eye inside the classroom that didn’t dare to avoid her gaze. “We’re going to choose the student committee members for the school trip to Tongyeong prefecture after the summer holiday based on their grades.”

The sound of relief could be heard from the whole class. But Kim Yerim still doesn’t show any emotion or any sign of relief.

“Class 3-1, 3-2 and 3-4, have chosen their representatives.” Ms.Kim continues as she wrote something on the blackboard “And I’m going to do the same here.” She stops writing on the blackboard but something made her distracted for a second.

“Where are Park Jimin and Jeon Jungkook?” she squinted her eyes, thought she was already wearing her glasses “I cannot start with the absence of students in my class.”

The class was whispering to each other again. And Kim Yerim has grown sick of this.

“Yah, I saw the President dragged the delinquent at the hallway this morning.”

“What the hell is going on between them?”

“Does Jungkook have anything to do with the twins? Jimin looks pretty mad earlier.”

“Teacher!”

Everyone turned their heads around to the voice source. Yerim was surprised herself, seeing the girl in front of her standing while raising her hand. Ms.Kim put her chalk down on the table, asking “What is it?” as the students staring at Park Jinsil with different kinds of stare.

“I will find my brother. Please excuse me.” She bowed to the teacher before she could give her permission.

Yerim didn’t bother to ask her, she followed her right after.


 

“Yah, Park Jinsil!” Yerim yell but Jinsil’s steps keep advancing forward.

She followed her to wherever she goes to god-only-know place she will lead them to. The hallway was too empty and when she realized, they already in the front of gray steel door. Yerim was about to ask her but Jinsil pushed the door with one leg and oh, she found them. Both Jimin and Jungkook.

Fully clothe.

No smokes.

Just their typical appearance of student playing cards of God of Legend while still in uniform.

“What the are you two doing?” Jinsil’s voice almost high pitched. Perhaps she was worried all the time and didn’t expect this to greet her first after worrying for nothing. Yerim knows how it felt because she was the same.

“Discussing,” Jimin answered, throwing the card on the ground while he was at it.

Jinsil clicked her tongue. “What kind of discussion required card plays?” She probably regretting why she is in love with this guy.

“Shut up. He just wanted to skip class.” Jungkook interrupted. That made Jinsil enrage even more.

“Then, I was worrying for nothing?” Her voice was shaking “Everyone is waiting for the committee members choosing. The teacher won’t start the class if you were not there, Mr. President.”

Yerim can clearly see the tears coming out from Jinsil’s eyes when she turned around and walking pass by her. Jinsil probably didn’t realize (or she did) Yerim was there watching her. But Yerim chose not to chase her. She needs her own time alone. A girl cannot be seen when she is crying.

Jimin stares up at the sky with a big sigh and he throws the card on the concrete floor. Jungkook does the same and stood up from the floor. They both stared at each other for a long time before landing their gazes on Yerim who stood there for a long time after Jinsil was gone.

“You’re not going to chase her?” Jimin asks, squinting his small eyes from the sunlight.

Yerim shakes her head.

“Even though you two were best friends.” He mumbled, loud enough for Yerim to hear it.

“It doesn’t mean I should disrespect her own privacy.”

“What?”

“She’s probably fixing her makeup inside the girl’s toilet. I won’t bother chasing her up to there.” She leaned against the door frame while still staring at the boys. “But why are you two playing cards at this time around? You should be the decent example for the students, Mr.President.”

Jimin groaned, “Cut it off. I’m tired of the burden under that title, don’t you understand?”

“Then why are you intending to join the Student Council?” Kim Yerim asks, she crouched on the floor so she can meet her level with Park Jimin’s eyes. “I’m asking you as the Vice President, Park Jimin.”

Jimin didn’t answer her. Jungkook was staring at them with no amusement whatsoever the conversation was leading to. Yerim also has lost her interest with the riddle play so she decided to drop the mic.

“I guess I should leave the answer to you?” Yerim chuckled and as she about to prepare for leaving, she turned around. “Ah, one more thing. Please treat your twin sister like you usually do. She’s having a very bad day because of you.”

With that, Yerim left the rooftop and it felt like some burden on her chest has been lifted off from her. Was she too harsh? Was she being mean to the other Park twin? What does Jungkook going to think of her after this? She doesn’t know the consequences but yet, she’s not afraid to face it.

“Now, I need to drag that crying child out from the bathroom.” She sighs at the thoughts.