YERIM

Perhaps It's Love?

 

Spring is here again.

And Kim Yerim is single…  Again.

She looked at the sight of sakura blizzard outside of her classroom windows. It was awful, but yet it was beautiful.

Just like falling in love.

 It was awful to fall for the wrong person but having those feelings was indeed beautiful.

Yerim had enough of heartbreaks. She fell in love, but she never feels what is love. Her first boyfriend was the third year senpai (now he had graduated) Oh Sehun but they broke up after a month of dating. The reason why? It was ambiguous to her. It turned out one after school day Sehun asked for a break up as he said she was still too innocent for dating. The next day she saw he was walking to school with another girl and Yerim knew that girl too well. She was Choi Sulli, the volleyball captain and her senpai and his classmate. She should have known he was seeing her behind her back from the beginning. He just wanted to play with me.

Her second boyfriend was probably enough for a good boyfriend material. Shin Wonhoo from the neighboring school asked her to go out with him and they did last for a year but break up when Yerim refused to have with him. Like, every single time when they were out for a date he will ask, “Let’s go to love hotel after this” or “I want you all to myself tonight.” To think it in a rational way, having doesn’t mean you love each other dearly. And it also doesn’t mean they will get married anyway. And plus, they still young so what’s the rush?

Her logic made him surrender, perhaps? Shin Wonhoo later dated his private tutor. He likes older woman way more than young girls anyway.

Now Kim Yerim is in the third year. And she wanted to fall in love again.

“Waa Yuna and Gilpo are dating!” the class cheered cheerfully after the said couple walked inside the class together. Yerim spare a glance at them; they were smiling eye to eye, probably thinking they are really in love with each other.

“Congratulations!” More cheering is coming. Why are they congratulating a dating couple like they just got married?

“I don’t understand.” She unconsciously is saying that out loud. Not that loud. More like a whisper and there’s a chance that only one person could hear her.

It was Jeon Jungkook – her neighbor in class - he heard her for sure.

But he had earphones plug in inside his eardrum. He probably didn’t hear anything.                                

Yerim sigh in relief after an expectation of a respond from Jungkook. But she received none. That is not really surprising. Because Jeon Jungkook had never stuck his nose out for others business. He is just like that, a person with a delinquent aura when he was not really a delinquent himself. Probably because of his dark hair or dark eyes. Or maybe because of the medical patch on his cheek or maybe because the way he stares at someone that could kill from distance.

Everyone is scared of him.

But not Kim Yerim.

Why?

Because she seats next to him? Because she understands him more than anyone in class? Because she witnesses everything he did when the teacher was teaching at the front?

Perhaps it is a yes but it is quite different from her answer.

Kim Yerim like Jeon Jungkook.

And it took her forever to realize that he was an interesting person after three years of high school.

 


“Yerim-ah, it’s been a while since you had a boyfriend. Did you manage to get one this year?”

She almost choked on the strawberry milk her currently sipping on. She doesn’t understand why Jinsil can bat her eyelashes like she didn’t ask her some ing weird question. You’re lucky because you’re my best friend. Yerim tried enough not to imagine herself choking the petite mini female version of Park Jimin, Jinsil’s twin. It would be bad if she imagined choking her own friend.

Calmly, she shakes her head and continues to drink her strawberry milk. The boyfriend topic should be the end of it but what Jinsil says after that made her almost choking again.

“You know, I’m going to Australia after graduation.”

“What? Why?”

Jinsil shrugged, “Family business. My mother got transferred again.” She exhaled a long sigh, “And the divorce was done.”

Yerim fell silent for a moment, “Does that mean Jimin and you…”

Jinsil nodded. Yerim didn’t ask further.

“Jinsil-ah.”

“Don’t make that kind of face to me, .” She muttered under her breath. Yerim can clearly saw tears on her eye even she tried to wipe them off. “Ah, why am I so stupid…”

Yerim took her hand and wrapped it around her’s, “Call me anything you want. I’m still your best friend, .” She smirked and Jinsil chuckled at her words. They both glanced at Jimin, who was talking to Jungkook. Yerim wondered why Jungkook who was quiet and scary can smile like that when he was with Jimin.

She always wonders how Jimin makes that scary guy smile.

“So Jimin is staying and you’re leaving?” Yerim proceeds with the earlier topic after taking their eyes off from both guys next to them. “Why can’t you both just stay here?”

Jinsil sigh, “My mom didn’t allow me to do so.” Her eyes were blank, “You know, I love him so much. More than sibling should love each other.”

Yerim gulp on her saliva. It’s the live-action version of forbidden love story. But to be realistic, it was only one side of the party who was in love with the sibling.

 “You just have some brother complex.” She tried to convince her best friend that she didn’t look at her own twin brother like a lover. “You’ll get over with it.”

“I wish I can,” Jinsil chuckling sadly, “And I wish he never knew it.”

Like a tree fall on her head, her heart stops beating. Yerim’s eye goes round “HE KNEW?” she half whispering half shouting “HOW?”

“He read my diary without my permission.” Jinsil sighed. “It’s been awkward since then.”

“God…” she muttered under her breath. Her eyes glance at Jimin again. “I guess he tried to act normal like nothing happen.”

Jinsil turned her head to the window, “He is.” She rested her chin on her hand while watching the sakura petals fall to the ground.

Park Jinsil. Park Jimin. Two siblings, twin siblings, one problem.

Well, if Yerim tried to help, what will she did anyway?

 


The Korean Literature always made everyone dozed off. But not Kim Yerim. Actually, she never fell asleep in class throughout her three years in school. As expected of the honor student of Seungri High School.

And there is one person who always dozing off through all his third years but manages to get the honor student title too.

He was Jeon Jungkook.

How and when did he even studying, Yerim was curious as hell.

He probably going to Harvard asleep and graduated with honors too.

“Maybe he attends cram school at night.” Yerim tried to convince herself in front the girl’s toilet mirror like chanting a beauty spell. “Maybe he has a private tutor like Wonhoo” another presumption “Maybe he was born genius.” After many presumptions, Yerim gave up on guessing.

How the hell did he manage to get a perfect school for English? Yerim’s average score has always around 80 to 90 but how the hell he got a 100?!

Either way, he still can’t beat me in Literature!

She doesn’t even understand why she likes that guy at the first place. But that’s how love is. It’s blind. And you can’t see anything but the person you like.

She walked out from the girl’s toilet only to stumble upon the real person she had been curious of. Jeon Jungkook was sitting on the stairs while his eyes fixed on the comic book on his hand and he realized Yerim was staring at him that made him took his eyes off from the reading material.

“What are you doing?”

Jungkook blinks at her question and shade himself with his palm from the sun ray, “Photosynthesis.”.

What the is wrong with this guy? Probably not the real question in her head but instead why the did I like this guy?

“Move.” Yerim tried to sound harsh for once. But Jungkook didn’t flinch a little.

Jungkook moved like what she wanted but his hand stops her by grabbing her shoulder.

“What now?”

“You’re Kim Yerim?”

?. “Yes, do you have a problemYou seat next to me you dimwitYou’re only asking my name now?

He was silent for a while before removing his hand from her shoulder. And to Yerim shock, he took her hand and slides a ring on her finger. It was her missing ring from a week ago.

“It’s your ring.” He said, “I found it on the shoe locker. I have been keeping it for a while because I don’t know who Kim Yerim is until I notice your name tag. I’m sorry.” He bowed his head, “I didn’t realize we have been seating next to each other.”

Yerim was dumbfounded when the scary delinquent guy Jeon Jungkook was bowing in apology to her. She touched the ring on her finger and little inside her heart was in glee when the ring brought Jungkook to her even for a short while. Idiot, you make me fall for you even more.

“Thank you… And it’s okay. I have been looking it and gave up on searching. I thought I have seen the last of it.”

“Was the ring very important?” his question took her back to reality and she nodded.

“My late mother gave me this ring.” She touched it again, “It’s the only memory left behind after her death.”

The atmosphere suddenly becomes so silent and sad when Yerim realized she was talking about her late mother. She tried to change the topic but Jungkook was quicker than she thought. He pulls her into an embrace, collided her face on his broad chest and patting her red hair gently.

“It’s okay to cry.”

Those words. She hates him so much for making her miserable like this. She clutched on his blazer and tears starting to flow down and her sobbing began to get louder. Jungkook buried Yerim’s face on his chest so her sobbing wouldn’t be heard.

Yerim was embarrassed because she cried and looks ugly in front of the person she likes but she was thankful at the same time because it was the person she likes who lend his chest for her to cry.

But why Jungkook suddenly pulls her into a hug, it is still a big question to her.