Talk

Gardenia

Tzuyu banged her head on the table where the paper that held the unholy letter on her mid term paper lay. In front of her Dahyun laughed as she watched her best friend suffer in agony. Tzuyu could feel the heavy gazes of her peers as they witnessed her uncoil into a void of destruction. Sometimes the world was bitterly too cruel.

 

And it was all Miss Sana's fault. Miss Sana with her beautiful eyes and warm eyes as she stared at her like no one else in the world existed. Miss Sana whose voice would cloud her mind as she stared blankly down at her homework. Miss Sana who appeared in her dreams in romantic scenarios that made Tzuyu blush as she awoke in a sweat. Miss Sana was a rose with thorns, she was beautiful but held the power to destroy her.

 

As Tzuyu's head made it's way to slam down again a hand appeared in front of her, catching her head before it made contact with the table.

 

“How long has she been doing this?” Jihyo asked worriedly, glaring at Dahyun who wore a look of fright at the older girls sudden appearance.

 

Tzuyu looked up to see that Mina and Chaeyoung were also now present. The three new arrivals took a seat as Tzuyu glared down at the culprit for the blooming bruise on her forehead.

 

“Woah!” Chaeyoungs eyes widened as she caught sight of the paper, “Tzuyu, I thought you were just exaggerating when you said that class would be the death of you.”

 

“It's okay Tzuyu,” Jihyo rubbed her back, “You'll do better next time.”

 

“Unless we suddenly get a new teacher I don't think that will be possible.” She grumbled.

 

“What's wrong with Aunt Sana?” Mina asked curiously.

 

Tzuyu flinched, Mina was new to the group and was unaware of Tzuyu's crush on her aunt. Mina had transfered from Japan not too long ago and had recently attached herself to Chaeyoung. Tzuyu didn't quite trust Mina to keep her secret from her aunt and to mention embarrassed about having a crush on her teacher so she had asked the girls to keep it from her.

 

“Nothing.” She mumbled, putting the offensive paper away. “She's just a little hard.” She lied.

 

Dahyun snickered and Tzuyu kicked her under the table.

 

“Oh. If you're having a hard time I could try tutoring you?” Mina offered. “And you could help me with my Mandarin.”

 

Tzuyu bit her lip, the both of them weren't really close and Mina was some what awkward and shy which made Tzuyu feel awkward whenever they were forced to be alone together.

 

“I think it's a great idea. It will give you a chance to get closer since you two are so awkward together.” Chaeyoung said bluntly.

 

Tzuyu glanced over at Mina hesitantly who wore her usual soft expression, “I guess it can't hurt to try but only if you're sure you don't mind.”

 

“I'm sure.” Mina nodded, “And we can study wherever you'd like.”

 

Tzuyu had a sudden vision of studying over at Mina's house and seeing Miss Sana in various states of undress. She blushed as she shook her head to clear the inappropriate thoughts. “Here!” She quickly responded. “I think the library, should be fine.” She said more calmly.

 

Dahyun who knew her well laughed.

 

Mina paid Dahyun no mind as she nodded. “Okay, meet you in the library after school?”

 

“It's a date.” Tzuyu responded.

 

“Ah whose got a date?”

 

Tzuyu froze as she recognized the voice behind her. The only heat coming from the hand that fell on her shoulder. She slowly turned her head to see the reason for her misery standing behind her with a warm inviting smile that made Tzuyu melt.

 

The girls all greeted her formally, Tzuyu begged the gods that she no one heard the way her voice shook as she spoke.

 

“Aunt Sana.” Mina grinned, “What brings you to the cafeteria?”

 

“Tzuyu, actually.” She responded, making the table freeze. Tzuyu shut her eyes as she let her head duck. “Mind if I borrow her?”

 

Tzuyu heard them mutter their response and she clenched her fist under the table as Miss Sana's hand ran down her back to tap it lightly.

 

“Meet me in the class room.” She said with a teacherly voice.

 

Tzuyu nodded and sluggishly began packing away her stuff, hearing Miss Sana's heels moving away from the table. She let out a breath of relief when she felt she was finally safe.

 

“This has to be a first.” Dahyun mused, “Tzuyu has never gotten in trouble before.”

 

Tzuyu silently glared at her as she slung her backpack over her shoulders.

 

“Tzuyu fighting!” Chaeyoung raised a fist at her as she stood and began to leave.

 

Her footsteps were heavy as she walked, her hands holding the straps of her bag tightly as she grew closer to the classroom. Her stomach filled with butterflies as she realized it would be the first time she'd be alone with Miss Sana and she froze outside the door. Handling her emotions (and hormones) when she was in a room filled with other students was a lot easier than to be in a room alone with her, where her attention would lay solely on her. Tzuyu contemplated leaving school and begging her mom to transfer her to another school. But then Tzuyu realized that explaining to her mother would be a whole other battle, one that she didn't have the courage to fight in.

 

Taking a deep breath she tapped lightly on the door before walking in.

 

Miss Sana sat at her desk, her glasses sitting on the edge of her nose as she wrote. Tzuyu was for the hundredth time flustered by the image.

 

“Ah, Tzuyu, come in. Sit.” She said pointing over at the desk in front of her desk. “I just need to finish this...” She said, her eyes still focused on the papers in front of her. “And all done.” She said putting down the paper as Tzuyu took the seat. She smiled comfortingly over at Tzuyu as she removed her specs and stood to sit on the edge of her desk.

 

“Is this about my grades?” Tzuyu asked, already knowing the answer.

 

Miss Sana nodded, “I'm a little disappointed.”

 

Tzuyu ducked her head, it hurt to hear the words come out of and she cursed herself for letting them fall so low. “I'm sorry.”

 

“I'm just a little concerned. I've spoken with your other teachers and you're doing outstanding in other subjects. From what I've heard from your past teachers, you're somewhat of a language genius. It makes me think that maybe it is me that seems to be the problem.” She said softly, “I guess I'm just trying to figure out the best way to help you. I'd hate for your record to be tarnished for my incompetence.”

 

Tzuyu sighed, “It's not you Miss Sana… And I'm truly sorry for worrying you. I promise to work harder.”

 

Miss Sana walked forward and crouched in front of her desk, Tzuyu froze as she grabbed her hands softly, “You're a hard worker Tzuyu, I do not doubt that for a second.” She pursed her lips, “I'm sorry if this is a bit intrusive but is it possibly one of the boys in the class that has you distracted? Mark seems like a popular boy around here and I heard you mention a date earlier...”

 

“No no no.” Tzuyu quickly shook her head, blushing, “I'm sort of not into boys.” She admitted.

 

“Oh then a girl?” Miss Sana's eyes had a sudden spark as she raised an eyebrow.

 

Tzuyu blushed and ducked head.

 

“Ah so you have crush, well it's nothing to be ashamed of. There's nothing I can do to stop or help that except warn you to not let it affect you so much your grades drop. School should come first.” She said sternly.

 

Tzuyu nodded, relieved that she had no clue that the person who had her so distracted was right in front of her.

 

“If you'd like I could arrange for a tutor to help you get back on track.”

 

“Actually,” Tzuyu mumbled, “Mina will be helping me out.”

 

Miss Sana's eyes brightened, “I'm glad. I guess I didn't have to worry so much. You wouldn't be first in your class if you didn't work so hard.” She chuckled, “I guess our talk was for nothing, you had everything figured out already. Good.” She patted the desk and stood.

 

The bell rang suddenly, making them both jump.

 

“Just in time. Sorry for keeping you from lunch Tzuyu.”

 

Tzuyu melted under her warm expression and stood to head to her next class. “It's okay. Thank you for being concerned for me.” Tzuyu mumbled, bowing to Miss Sana. “I promise to work harder.”

 

“I know you will Tzuyu, see you tomorrow.” She patted her shoulder and nodded.

 

Tzuyu nodded back and quickly rushed out.

 

When she arrived to her next class she let out a sigh of relief as she slumped down on the seat.

 

She'd have to work twice as hard so that she would never disappoint Miss Sana again.