One

Unexpected meeting

- Come on Levi! Fighting! - we shout from the side, watching our little brother playing table tennis. In South Korea. For real. His dream to be a world champion is almost achieved. A lot of people is gathered here to watch the big matches of the best players around the world.

Vivi, me and Mino are here to support him.
My sister, Vivi lives in Korea, so there's no problem with the accommodation. She is currently the manager of WINNER[1], therefore, she knows a lot of celebrities.

- Go go go! Only two more shots like this, and you got this! Just concentrate! - Vivi shouts like an enthusiastic fan. - Niki, you should say something nice too! - she looks at me.

- He can't concentrate because you can't stop shouting! Just be quiet! - I tell her trying to calm her a bit.

- But if there's nobody to cheer for him, he might lose! Levi, fighting!

Seriously, this girl can't be tamed.

- Hey Vivi, what's up? Long time no see! - a voice comes from our back.

- Oh my God! I can't believe we meet here. How come...? - was only I could hear from what my sister said. I couldn't believe what I see. Onew[2]. For real. Okay, it's one thing that we are in South Korea. I have been dreaming of this since... who knows... But to see Onew in front of me, like 1-2 meters away is something my heart can't really cope with. Vivi told me before that they met on Inkigayo[3] but I didn't know they were that close...

 

- I'm here with my friend, Kangwoo, and his nephew, Minkyu. The little one wants to be a world champion. - Onew told us, while we great each other with a bow.

- Is that so? I can't wait to see it! Aigoo[4], you're so cute, how old are you? - I ask him.

Minkyu is a little bit shy, but replies 8 with a smile on his face.

- So you are a big boy, right? Tell me, do you like chocolate?

- YES! - Minkyu screams with joy.

- Here, have some before your match. Fighting!

- Thanks Noona[5]!

- You're welcome!

I hear Vivi asking if Onew was really in London a week before. Only then I realize that he is still here. Onew looked at Vivi:

- Yeah, I was there for a photo shoot.

- Aish[6], I want to go too. Mino, let's go shopping there, I can't wait to see the new collection of Chanel!

- Sure! But promise me you will treat me this time.

- Understood. - Vivi winks at him.
I don't really know what to do since Minkyu has gone to play. I can communicate with kids easily, but I just can't do it with my generation. I try to act natural without much success I guess. Then I decide to sit down. And Onew too...

- Oh, I'm so sorry, are you okay? - he asks me after he almost sat in my lap. It's so funny I must laugh. He laughs too. We sit down after I told him I'm okay.

- So, you're Niki-sshi[7]. It's a very nice name. - he looks at me with a killer smile.

- Thank you, Onew-sshi. So... do you like table tennis? Can you play well?

- I'm definitely not a professional player. But Minho[8] can play quite well. And you?

- Same as you, but it would take years to teach me how to play well.

We watch the kids while they play and listen to what Vivi and Mino is talking about. Then Onew's phone starts to ring.

- Yeobuseyo[9]? Hyungnim[10]?

 

[1] a South Korean kpop group under YG Entertainment, Mino is one of the members

[2] member and leader of SHINee, a South Korean group under SM Entertainment

[3] a South Korean music programme on TV

[4] Korean exclamation, similar to Oh My God!

[5] younger boys call older girls like this, it means older sister

[6] Korean exclamation, it's similar to a huge sigh

[7] -sshi is a formal way of speaking

[8] a member of SHINee

[9] Korean way of greeting the other one through the phone

[10] hyung: younger boys call older boys like this, it means older brother;

-nim: formally speaking to the other one and showing respect