Everyone - The Lie

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Last Summer

It was a day in late June, one of those weird summer days where it wasn't totally sunny, where a chilly bite hung in the air and fog clung to the air in Mile Park. They all sat in the children's playground, a sorry sight in their black, mourning clothes and looks of sheer anguish juxtaposing their young faces.

Wendy, stood by her boyfriend, Kris, as he sat on the edge of the bench, his head in his hands while she tried in vain to comfort him in his despair. Amber, donning a black blazer and jeans, sat on the top of the climbing frame, staring out at the park around them, only occasionally looking over her distraught best friend with sheer guilt. Irene stood at the foot of the climbing frame, her face ice-white and brow furrowed as she exchanged looks of anguish with Amber, before she'd look over at her step-brother, Kyungsoo, who sat on his own on the swings at the very edge of the park. Chanyeol and Krystal sat in a cubby-hole of another climbing fame, heads bowed together and hands gripping tight onto one another, occasionally mumbling words of comfort to one another in their despair. Luhan stood next to Sehun, who was sat on one end of a see-saw, neither of them saying a word to the other but sharing anxious looks every now and then. In the middle of all of this, Baekhyun was pacing nervously.   

"We need to figure this out," he finally spoke up, tugging on the loop of his tie and undoing the top button of his shirt, "The police said they'd only give us until the funeral was over until we all have to be interviewed."

"Yeah because we're all children who are in shock," Wendy said, "Do we have to do this now? We just buried our friend."

"And tomorrow we'll be taken down to the station to get interviewed!" Baekhyun exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air out of frustration, "We need to figure out what happened, before we all get in trouble for this."

"What if some of us don't actually remember what happened?" Irene complained, unable to even look at Baekhyun, "Why is that not a good enough story for them?"

"Because a group of ten teenagers who didn't see how their own friend died is pretty suspicious," Baekhyun pointed out, not even looking at Irene as he said this.

"Why can't we just tell them the truth?" Irene asked, her voice fraught with sadness and eyes threatening to spill over with tears at any moment, "Why can't we just tell them that we broke into some country house and bought a load of drugs and alcohol and that-"

"Because we'd all go down for it!" Amber exclaimed, "We'd all get into trouble for breaking into the house, for buying the drugs- we'd all get caught..."

An uncomfortable silence hung over the group at this realisation. If they told the truth, all of them would pay the price. The rest of their lives would be over.

"Baekhyun's right," Luhan spoke up, "It's only thanks to Krystal's Dad that we didn't have to get questioned sooner. But that only means they'll have had more time to make their case. We need to get our stories straight."

"Well what actually happened?" Chanyeol asked, "Wasn't it Kyungsoo who found him?"

The group looked over, one-by-one, at the quiet Kyungsoo who'd been sat at the edge, not saying a word, and simply staring at the ground. Irene shared a look of apprehension with her friends, before walking to her brother. 

"Kyungsoo...?" she put a hand on his shoulder, which seemed to him snap out of whatever daze he'd been in as he looked up at his sister in confusion.

"W- what?"

"Can you tell us? Tell us what you saw?" Irene asked delicately, her hand gently squeezing brother's shoulder as she stood by to support him.

"I- I just remember coming down from the balcony. There- there was blood on the floor. Broken glass. I- I followed it. And- and there was. Face down in the pool-" his voice broke at the last word, tears falling uncontrollably from his eyes as his sister immediately pulled him into her arms and muttered soothing words to him.

"Jesus Christ..." Sehun sighed as he put his head in his hands.

"So we were all too ed up to see what even happened to our friend?" Baekhyun scoffed in disbelief, "This can't be happening..."

The rest of the group all took a moment to process this horrific fact.

Yet among the silence, it was Kris who spoke next, "Aren't we forgetting the fact that Lay has suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth? That seems pretty guilty to me!"

"Drug dealer turns up at a party where a high-schooler dies - seems pretty suspicious to me?" Irene asked, sending a glare in Krystal's direction. The two girls clearly weren't speaking after their fight that night. 

"I agree," Kris said standing up, a look of pure anger on his face that contrasted his puffy, red eyes, "In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why he took off. Because he knew something happened."

The group all looked at each other for a moment, even Kyungsoo looked up to exchange a nervous look with his sister and Amber, until they all turned to look at Krystal. 

Chanyeol, however, was enraged by this, "You guys seriously can't be blaming Krystal for this! We don't even know if Lay did anything! We don't know what happened!"

"And why is that exactly?" Sehun asked from his place on the see-saw, for once speaking up amongst his friends, but ever the voice of logic, "I smoked one joint that night, and some beers. Yet all of a sudden I'm out and can't remember my own friend dying?"

"I didn't take anything," Wendy pointed out, "Yet I woke up with no recollection of anything. What's to say we took something without actually knowing about it?"

"What, you think we could've been spiked?" Amber asked in sheer disbelief. Yet as her question hung in the air, it didn't seem all that ridiculous; after all, none of them could even remember what happened when they'd woken up the next day. They woke up with horrific headaches and comedowns, knowingly only that something horrible had happened before their parents revealed the truth. 

Baekhyun sighed loudly as he hopped onto the other end of the see-saw, making Sehun ungracefully fly off and onto the ground at the other end. Sehun grumbled as he landed on his front in the dirt, yet no one seemed inclinated to help him up.

"I guess that would explain this." Reaching into the inside of his blazer jacket, Baekhyun pulled out a small, menaci

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter