Escape

The Secret Map

 


 

Hana walked with her good mood as her right hand held a plastic bag with some fruits that she bought. Humming to a random song, she made a turn to the left, entering the yard of her small house.

 

Hana stopped in her track as her eyes caught things were spattered all over the ground. Everything was in mess.

 

She gasped to think about someone in the house after leaving the person, alone. Hana pushed the door with all of her strength and her eyes locked on a figure sitting on a chair, breathing heavily.

 

"Ma'am?" Hana scooted to a mid-aged lady who stayed calm although Hana was panicking as hell when everything in the house was in mess. Like she was robbed when Hana was gone.

 

"Hana," the lady called and smiled. Hana checked on her body if she got injured, but there was no sign of wound or blood.

 

"What happened?"

 

 

The mid-aged lady breathed in and out heavily. Hana furrowed her eyebrows, wondering why would she stay calm like that. Something might happen.

 

"Tell me," Hana pleaded.

 

"…I think it's time for you to leave," the lady answered. Hana became confused. "W-What?"

 

The lady leaned in to the young girl and held both of her shoulders, tightly. Staring deep into her eyes and it was the first time Hana had even seen those eyes stared down at her in that way.

 

"They came here for you," the lady continued.

 

"Who? Why?" Hana couldn’t understand with what she was going to say. Who was chasing after her? Why would they do that? Did she commit a crime?

 

"They know that you're alive. You need to go back to your place. It's not safe for you to be here."

 

"But, at least tell me why they're chasing after me…"

 

"I can't. Unless you’re going to figure it out about yourself. The reason why you’re here with me."

 

Hana brushed her hands away from her shoulders. "Is this another kind of joke?"

 

"Kim Hana, listen to me." The lady shook her body to make the young girl come to her sense. It was between life and death and she couldn’t keep the young girl with her anymore. Not when the others found out about her.

 

Hana eyed her when the lady took something from her back. Something like a rolled thick paper in golden brown colored and tied with a black thread.

 

 

Carefully, the lady handed the thing to her. Hana hesitated to take it at first but when she saw how she nodded her head, assuring herㅡHana's hand found its way to hold the thick paper.

 

"It's The Secret Map." The mid-aged woman told her, "This thing will lead you to the right place and it will help you to figure out your real identity."

 

Hana stared down at the map. Something that is unusual about it.

 

"Please, Hana. Leave for the sake of your life. This is the end of my responsibilities on you. Don't let this Secret map fall on the other hand. Remember, you should find the truth before your 18th birthday. Or else…."

 

"Or else?"

 

"You will die in their hands." The lady spilled although she didn’t want to. After all, it was the time for her to tell everything and let Hana to find her real place, on her own.

 

"B-But, ma'am-"

 

Hana's words were cut off when the woman embraced her in her arms. She had been loving the girl since she was one month old and the thought to make her safe from them, tears started to well up in her eyes. "Take care, my dear."

 

 


 

 

Hana walked down the alley alone in the dark. The cold breeze brushed her skin and her black hair kept slapping on her pale skin with the wind that came from her side.

 

The Secret Map was held tightly in her hand. The words that were left from the woman remained in her mind and she stopped at a corner, letting out her deep sigh.

 

Hana untied the thread around the map before unrolled it. She chortled, in disbelief with what she saw.

 

"I don't see anything on this bloody map. Why do we even call this a map? I thought a map supposed to show the whole directions. Where do I go. Right or left." Hana pursed her lips and grasped onto the map.

 

She titled her head, "But…there must be a reason why it is called a Secret map, right?" Hana looked back on the map, checking the front and the back of the thick paper. Nothing appeared.

 

Until a small spark were lighted on the map.

 

Hana gawked. "Holy . It's working!"

 

The map actually showed her the first destination that she had to go. Hana lifted up her face to look around, taking precautions if someone might hide and caught her having The Secret Map in her hands.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows, "This isn't far from where I'm standing." Hana dragged her legs and let the wind to blow her hair and brush against her skin.

 

She followed through the way the map showed. Sometimes she would look over at her back and there was no one following her. Hana sped when she almost reached at the destination.

 

Until she found a dead end of the alley. Only the help of a dim light that kept blinking and the moon light lightened her way through it. She sighed as she leaned her back on a cold wall.

 

 

The Secret Map was still in her hand. "This is insane. I even trusted this damn thing and ended up at here," Hana mumbled before freaked out over a shadow on the wall. A big shadow that she thought it was a monster as she slowly grabbed a big stick beside a trash can, holding it out.

 

"W-Who are you?" She asked in fear. The shadow became smaller until a small creature appeared in front her.

 

It was a white cat.

 

Hana breathed sighed of relief while rubbing her chest for panicking on that night. The cat meowed and went to Hana's leg. Caressing its body on her leg. Hana pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, giggling when the cat's fluffy fur rubbed against her skin.

 

Hana squatted next to the cat, "You scared me earlier."

 

Meow.

 

The cat stared at her, like it meant 'sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.'

 

Hana's hand caressed on the cat's head and moved to her body, "You're so cute." She watched as the cat on its feet.

 

"I had a terrible day today. I had to leave the house."

 

The cat looked at her like it was listening to her words and meowed again.

 

Hana pouted. "The lady that took care of me gave me a map. She said it's something that would help me and lead me to a new place," Hana talked to the cat even when she knew clearly that it was useless.

 

"But this bloody map showed me a dead end," Hana slammed The Secret Map on the ground, frustrated.

 

The white fluffy cat left Hana while mumbling about the map that she claimed to be nonsense for not giving any goods on her. The cat went to sit at the front of the dead end of the alley, covered with a few mural on it.

 

Hana eyed in confusion when the cat kept meowing at the wall. She stood up, grabbing the map on the ground and went to stand behind the cat.

 

Something weird was happening when the cat stared at the dead end wall. The Secret Map lightened up because of the small spark that blinked, like telling Hana that she was on the right path.

 

She couldn’t say a word when the cat in front her jump straight to wall and disappeared. Leaving Hana disbelief and freaked out.

 

It wasn’t a usual wall like how she thought.

 

Hana looked down at the map. Her legs were shaking for freaking out. The wind blew stronger as if it was pushing her to the wall and disappeared.

 

She bit her bottom lip. Her legs seemed to be nailed on the ground when she didn’t have enough confidence to run herself to the wall.

 

Go.

 

Her mind told her. She hesitated.

 

Getting her strength, Hana pushed herself off from the place where she stood and ran straight to the wall.

 

She disappeared. And the wind was gone, along with the young girl.

 

 


 

This is the second time I'm trying with supernatural/fantasy story OTL

Why do I feel bad? T_T

/cries