Three

Numb
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I can't feel pain, Seungcheol. I'm not human." Jeonghan sighed. "I've got CIPA. And that makes me not human because I'm not like everyone else."

 

Jeonghan's words kept on repeating over and over again in Seungcheol's head. Seungcheol learned, thanks to Google, that CIPA is a rare hereditary disorder of the nervous system wherein a person who suffers from it cannot sweat, feel pain, heat and coldness. Most people with CIPA dies at a young age and Jeonghan is only one of the few who managed to overcome the dangers of childhood. Seungcheol is very much thankful for that.

 

"Yah Seungcheol! Stop spacing out, I'm talking to you." Jeonghan flicks his nose.

"Oh. What were you saying again?" Seungcheol smiles, scratching his nape.

"I asked you if you'd like to come to my brother's birthday this Saturday."

"Yeah sure. Anything for you, your highness." Seungcheol teases.

"Whatever." Jeonghan rolls his eyes. "And oi, bring your friends so I could meet them."

"Yes, your highness." He answered. Jeonghan only rolled his eyes at him then pointed at something behind Seungcheol.

"Oh, ice cream. What? You want one?" Seungcheol asked when he spotted it. Jeonghan nods and smiles. "Just stay here. I'll get us some, okay?" Seungcheol salutes and Jeonghan only laughs at him. 

 

They were sitting in a bench at the town plaza, it's quiet since its still too early in the morning and there are only a few people scattered around. Jeonghan leaned back on the bench while waiting for Seungcheol who's currently buying them ice cream. That night at the convenience store, when Jeonghan told Seungcheol about him having CIPA, he thought that Seungcheol would find him weird like how most people did. But he didn't. Instead, Seungcheol became protective over him and is always looking out for him. Seungcheol even started accompanying him everywhere he goes if he has the chance. Jeonghan found it endearing, to have someone take care of you and accept you even with your flaws. Even though they've just been friends, Jeonghan knows that their friendship has grown deeper so quickly because of how they treat each other. Jeonghan smiled to himself, thanking the heavens for letting the two of them meet.

 

Seungcheol's arrival snapped him out of his thoughts, "Here. Eat it while its still not melting." He says, handing Jeonghan a cone of strawberry ice cream.

"Geez, thank--" Jeonghan gets cut off when a little girl who was running around trips near their bench. 

Seungcheol immediately helps her up and hushes her cries, "Are you okay? Where does it hurt?" The little girl points at her knees.

"Let me see?" Jeonghan smiles, reaching out to gently rub her knees.

 

He was just about to touch her when her older brother, probably around Seungcheol's age, suddenly arrived and slapped Jeonghan's hand away.

 

"Don't touch my sister, freak." The guy said disgustedly, emphasizing the last word. He pulled his sister's hand and quickly walked away.

 

Seungcheol stared in shock at the guy's retreating back. He was taken aback by what the guy said. How could he say such things? Why would he even do that? Jeonghan was only trying to help and that's what he gets in return. That was downright rude.

 

He looked at Jeonghan and he was once again shocked at how indifferent Jeonghan looked, "A-Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Go eat your ice cream, Seungcheol. It's melting already." Jeonghan says breathing deeply.

 

Jeonghan tried to not look hurt with what happened. He was once again wearing that indifferent expression of his. But Seungcheol could see the hurt in his eyes.

 

"Jeonghan, don't be upse--"

Jeonghan suddenly stood up, "I'm going home." He simply says then leaves.

 

Seungcheol didn't even try to stop Jeonghan. He only stares at Jeonghan's slumped back. He understood that Jeonghan needed time by himself and Seungcheol respects that. His not going to force Jeonghan to stay but he still has to make sure that he gets to go home safe. Seungcheol starts following him, walking a few meters behind Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan was sulking as he walked home. He recognized that guy as his former classmate, no wonder he called him freak. He feels bad for leaving Seungcheol suddenly but he just really needs to go home. As he arrives at their neighborhood, the usual whispering and staring started. People at Jeonghan's neighborhood knew him and his disorder. Even after months of living there they still whisper and talk about him like he's not there. They stare at him with disgust, some with curiosity, and others with pity. There are even kids who shout insults at him. He walks faster and shuts the door immediately when he reaches his apartment.

 

Seungcheol saw it all; The judging stares, the whispers, Jeonghan's uneasiness, the insults. He saw it all and he feels anger boil inside him. He clenches his fists tightly and walks back. He's infuriated at how people treat Jeonghan. He knows that Jeonghan deserves to be treated much better because he did nothing wrong. And on that moment, he swore to protect Jeonghan from those judgemental people who bring him down.


——————————

 

 

Night came and Seungcheol still hasn't heard from Jeonghan since the incident earlier that day. Jeonghan didn't show up in the cafe like how he usually did during Wednesdays. He also wasn't in the convenience store. Seungcheol just got home from work so he decided to take a shower first. After showering, he went to his room and lied down. Ring. He grabbed his phone and immediately answered the call when he saw its from Jeonghan.

 

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter