CHAPTER 7

BY MY SIDE

(Jongin’s POV)

“Explain! Now!”

“Jongin, calm down! What happen?” Yixing was shock when I busted in the café Sungjoo works on and just shouted at her

“Not here, Jongin. Don’t make a scene.” She said but I grab her wrist and drag her out the small shop

“JONGIN!” Yixing shouted but I ignored him, I then forced her to board in my car and we drove off. We went to her apartment and as we parked in front of her home, we started talking.

“Tell me everything you know, Sungjoo. Please.” My voice was calm and steady; I heard her exhaled and look outside

“Sorry, Minjoo.” I heard her whisper; she closed her eyes and heavily said “what do you want to know?”

 

-

 

“WHAT THE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!”

“Sir, I’m sorry, I tried to stop him but-“

“Its okay, Jinri. Please cancel the meetings I have for the foreign investors. Schedule it for next week.”

“Yes, Sir.” The secretary bowed as she walked out of the room

“What a pleasant surprise, my son.”

“Cut the crap talk. I know everything.” I said with a mad tone

“Now now, Jongin. You wouldn’t want your precious Minjoo to be harmed, right? Like her parents?” with an evil grin, he stated

“W-what did you do to her?” I snapped and looked at his evil face

“Nothing. Yet. So you better be careful if you don’t want her to be harmed.”

“I’ll get you arrested for the sins you did.”

“Really? Can you do that? You have no power over me, Jongin.”

I turn around and walked away. He was right, I was helpless, and he’s too powerful.

I need to find a way to protect Minjoo.

I rushed over to her house and tried to call her, but she was not answering. I check my watch and saw that her shift is not over yet so I waited inside my car and rest my mind for a bit. I sighed as I recalled my conversation with Sungjoo.

“Her parents didn’t die with your mom that night, Jongin. They were alive and they tried to rescue her but it was too late. When they rushed her to the hospital she was already dead. Your step-father threatened to frame Minjoo’s parents and told everyone that they killed her.”

I sighed and punched the steering wheel out of frustration.

“Why did you have to hide it from me, Minjoo? Why did you have to endure it on your own?” tears stared streaming down my eyes as my breathing got difficult. I buried my head on the steering wheel and cried to my heart’s content.

“Your step-dad wanted them to leave Korea and live in another country and start a new life, her parents agreed but the night of their departure they didn’t flee away but stayed and hide. And all I know is that your step-dad killed Minjoo’s parents and left a threat to Minjoo to stay quiet and not interfere with your lives from now on.”

“Why would he kill innocent people? Why would he want them to leave?”

“That’s what I’m curious about too. And also, why would he spare Minjoo when he could easily kill her too?”

“Because being alive is crueler than being dead.”

“Minjoo wouldn’t tell me everything, so I think it’s better to talk to her instead. That’s all the information I know.”

“Jongin?” I heard a knock on my car’s door and I quickly woke up and saw a worried Minjoo outside. Quickly, I went to her and hugged her.

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry…” I whispered and she was taken aback.

“L-let’s talk inside, Jongin. Calm yourself down.”

 

-

 

“I know everything, Minjoo. About your parents and my step-dad’s threat. I want to know your story, please tell me everything.”

“Even if I tell you everything I know that wouldn’t change anything-“

“Just… tell me… please. I don’t want you to endure everything anymore.”

She sighed and sat in front of me; took a sip of coffee and smiled bitterly.

“He killed your mom.”