CHAPTER 1

BY MY SIDE

“It’s over…”

“We’re done.”

“Let’s end this.”

“I can’t take it anymore.”

“Just leave me alone, Jongin.”

“Let’s just..STOP”

STOP!!

[Beep beep beep beep]

Another nightmare, the same nightmare.

I looked at my clocked and it’s already 4am. I rushed to my bathroom and quickly cleanse myself, rush into my usual clothes and checked my watched again. 4:30AM. Okay good. I then get my phone and texted

“Good morning, don’t forget to eat breakfast. Keep safe. – Jongin”

I then slid my phone into my pocket and went outside to jog. This is actually my usual routine every morning. Waking up early in the morning just to exercise… actually, there’s more to this.

I checked my watch, 5AM sharp. Okay good.

“Good morning, cucumber.” She greeted the neighborhood dog and smiled. Beautiful.

There she is… the girl that I love most. Walking to the bus stop.

I followed her behind, quietly and carefully, to not get caught. I am watching her back, even her back is pretty. The walk is pretty much 10 minutes from her apartment.

I was still behind her, hiding from her, she boarded the bus and I followed suit, she sat at her usual spot and me behind her. She still doesn’t have a clue.

She’s on her way to work, which is a 2 hour drive away. 30 minutes has passed and she is now asleep… again. Why does she always sleeps at public transportation? Doesn’t she know it’s dangerous and erts might attack her? I sighed and just watched her swing her head back and forth like a bobble head dog. Any second her head would fall at the metal beside her and would cause her an injury so before that happens.

“gotcha…” I murmured as I sat beside her and rested her head on my shoulder.

She’s still asleep. And I don’t mind.

The driver called out “Arriving at Yeouido!” she quickly got up and blink a few times and rushed off to get off. This was her destination.

“Thank you, ahjusshi!” she thanked the old driver before fully boarding the vehicle.

After a few minutes, I followed suit.

“Thanks, ahjusshi.” I greeted too.

“I am always happy to help, son. But I am still wondering why you hide from her every day.” He asks and I just faintly smiled

“It’s complicated.” I answered and bowed again

I then saw her back again bowing to her students one by one as they pass by.

“Teacher Minjoo! You look so pretty today!” one student said and she smiled

Yep. She is really pretty. Not just today, but every day.

I sat on the nearby bench beside her school, waited for the school bells to ring until I get back to my house.

I checked my watch. 8AM. Okay, let’s get going now, Jongin.

I then jogged my way back to a nearby coffee shop before going home.

This was my daily routine. My morning routine actually.

You might be wondering “why is he hiding from his girlfriend? Is he crazy or something?” It’s complicated.

 I ordered my usual black Americano and French toast and rode a cab back home. Showered and went back to my pajamas to sleep again.

Before calling me a lazy fat-, I do have a job, I’m not just going to the office.

[Ring ring ring]

“hello?” I answered my phone

“Sir? Your fa- I mean, Mr. Im is looking for you, he says-“

“Tell him I’m dead.” I said and quickly hung up, put my phone away and watched some TV.

If you’re wondering what my job is, I’m the soon to be next CEO of a top telecommunications company in South Korea. How? All thanks to my step-father. Yep. Step-father.

5 years ago after graduating from High School, my biological father got into an accident. He was actually a pilot and his plane crashed in an island in Mediterranean. We only knew about it a week later his body was found. My parents were divorced since I was in grade school but both of them took care of me well even if they are separated. That’s why when we heard about the news, we were devastated. My mother was re-married to Im Seho, a businessman who he met at a party. My mother was an heir of a top hotel in Seoul. They were married but I never felt him care for me like a father, so I never looked at him as a family member but just a stranger.

A sad story of a boy, huh? I always wonder why mom loved this guy, when it was so evident that he only likes her because of her money and power.

[Ring ring ring]

“JINRI! I TOLD YOU TO-“

“It’s not right to scream at your secretary, Jongin.” It was him.

“What do you want?”

“Show some respect to your superior.” He commanded

“I am sorry, Mr. Im. What can I assist you for?” I sarcastically responded and he sighed

“Go to work, son.” He said

I chuckled bitterly, "I thought you were my superior, now you're my father? Funny." I said and he stayed quiet

“I am not your son and you will never be my father. I will go to work when I want to.” I hung up and threw my phone to the nearby table.

This is all his fault. All his fault.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a while.

Just then I heard my phone vibrated. A text message? From Minjoo perharps?

I quickly got up and picked up my phone only to receive an SMS of my friend.

“Dude, party tonight? Chanyeol’s treat. – Sehun”

“I can’t. – Jongin”

“Again? Why not? – Sehun”

“I need to fetch Minjoo – Jongin”

“Dude, you seriously need to get over your ex. Fine, suit yourself. Next time, bro, okay? – Sehun”

I then threw my phone away again and sighed at his statement

Yep, you read it right. She’s my ex now. Why you ask? It’s all my step-dad’s fault.

 

If mom was here… life wouldn’t be this complicated.