The old friends?

Aiming for the moon

---

“Give me that shirt.”

“Get it yourself.”

“Well, at least help me pack these clothes?”

“Go pack yourself.”

“Hyejiny!”

The red headed finally able to take her attention away from the large TV screen in front of her and turned around to face her smaller best friend on her right as both of them are sitting down on the older girl’s bedroom carpet floor.

“What?”

“I thought you came here to help me pack?” Wheein tucked out her tongue to let the girl see how annoyed she feels right now, not only does the younger girl not at all lending a bit of her hands for the past 30 minutes she was here, but also the girl wasn’t even listening to her complaining the whole time she was packing her things.

“I did not say that, I swear.” Hwasa pointed her finger closed to the girl’s face, now across her as they sat facing each other, until it slightly touches Wheein’s forehead causing the dark haired girl to pout in return.

“Just help me please.” Wheein pleaded and Hwasa rolled her eyes.

“Fine. Why do you need so much clothes anyway? We won’t be staying for that long and I’ve packed my things less than 5 minutes.” The taller one sighed. “Just bring whatever things you’ve brought for the past thousands of trips.”

Hwasa mockingly smirked, feeling rather confused on why the older girl is having quite a struggle to what seems like a monthly routine for the two of them.

“I know, I’m just… I don’t know which one looks better than the others?”

“Why? All of them look good to me.”

“Not all of them.”

“You’re nervous.”

“What?”

Hwasa’s eyebrows rose in suspicions.

“No, I’m not.” Wheein immediately denied, turning her face slowly away from the younger girl’s view as she once again, look over her puddle of clothes and ponder which one will she bring along to Paris.

“Why are you nervous?”

“I don’t know!”

“Honey boo boo…”

“Ugh fine.” Wheein gave up upon hearing weird nickname, knowing that lying to the younger rebel would be impossible in her case. She can see right through her and to be honest, a little help would be nice right now.

“I invited her.” Wheein mumbled, not clear enough for the other to hear.

“What?”

“I invited her.” Much clearer this time.

“Who?”

“Byul.”

“Who?”

“My fiancée!”

Hwasa giggled loudly, enjoying every moment that she could get seeing the older girl’s extreme red face.

“Smooth one, little unicorn. And what a pretty name she has.”

“It’s not funny Hyejiny! I never felt this nervous about a trip before.” Wheein sighed, her eyes staring down as she feels her confidence and maybe, a bit of her soul, leaving her body slowly.

‘I shouldn’t have opened up my big mouth.’ She mentally slapped herself.

Hwasa, on the other hand, was glowering intently at the girl beating herself up; the girl was a little more nervous than she initially thought.

Wheein is no doubt, a very confident girl with a good self-esteem and very strange sense of humour, but she doesn’t really know what she’s capable of.

The girl is unpredictable, that part Hwasa is familiar with. Some other time she can become cold and distant, and other times, she can be like this… a cute nervous wreck. One thing Wheein is good at is, pretending to be fine on the outside even if she is hyperventilating on the inside.

But of course, as the girl matures over the years, this type of problem has becomingly more non-existent so it completely taken Hwasa back with a surprise seeing how worry her tiny best friend really is.

She must be very nervous indeed.

Hwasa gently touches Wheein’s top right shoulder, wanting to be on the receiving ends of the girl’s on and off concentrations.

“Hey, it’s okay. You’re going to look fine. Plus, I approve your sense of fashion right? You should be okay.” Hwasa reassured tenderly and giving a small smile alongside.

“Yeah. Yeah, you’re right. I’m thinking too much.”

“It’s reasonable… to feel nervous. She is your future wife.”

Wheein smiled in return.

“This is super new to me, you know?” the younger girl continued, “I can still remember how not long ago, I need to carry your small body to the restaurant to meet her. And now, you’re the one who is inviting her across the ocean? Cannot bear to be apart, yes?” Hwasa smirked and winked suggestively.

“Shut up.” Wheein rolled her eyes. “She’s different than I thought, okay?”

“How so?”

“I don’t know,” Wheein let out another sigh, but this time with joy just thinking about the older woman. “She’s different than the others. She’s kind, beautiful, understanding, gentle… did I mention beautiful? And oh her eyes are so stunning too!” Her eyes sparkled with hope and dreams, amazed with how perfect her fiancée really is, now that she’s thinking and talking about her.

Her hands clasped around each other and her eyes staring at the blank distance in front of her with her tiny dreamy smile spreading across her face.

Again, it seriously weirded out the other girl in the room and she pulled out a disgusted face in response.

“You’re creeping me out.”

“Shut up.” The older girl snapped as her smile turned to a scowl before returning her attention back to the giant bag in front of them.

Hwasa chuckled lowly.

“Hyejiny, you were a head student once,” Wheein suggested, folding her favourite faded jeans at the same time. “Maybe you know her? She was in fact our senior in high school.”

“Oh really? Why don’t you say so?” Hwasa encouraged, “What’s her name? Maybe it rings a bell.”

“Moon Byul Yi, I believe.”

“Oh.”

Hwasa became quiet as instantly shut closed and her eyes unblinking as she continues to gape at the girl sitting across her.

“What? Do you know her?” Wheein wondered, puzzled on why would the girl reacted in such ways. But before the older one can decipher further, Hwasa softly shook her head in reply.

“Nope, I thought I did for a second there but no, I forgot. Sorry babe.” Hwasa shrugged.

“That’s okay; mother said she is quite private with her life.”

“She is a Moon after all, what do you expect? Like, have you seen Madame Moon?”

Wheein nodded in acknowledgement and agreement.

“Where are my sneakers? Have you seen it?” Wheein twisted her body left and right, looking for a pair of her favourite feel holders around her, without knowing, dropping whatever conversations they previously had.

“In the closet, I think.”

“Oh okay, be right back.” Wheein groaned in pain as she stood up from the hard floor, easing her aching muscles at the same time.

As the girl walked further down into another door across the room and out of the earshot from the still sitting girl, Hwasa frowned and whispered to herself.

“Moon Byul Yi?”

She hummed quietly and then, as an idea came up to her mind, she clicked her tongues.

Her frown developed into a tiny knowing smirk, realizing something that her best friend has clearly failed to.

Once again, she whispered to herself as her eyes widened slightly in mischiefs, and slight excitements.

“Choi Moonbyul.”

Well, that name I know.

 

-Flashback-

“Jessica, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

“Oh come on Wheein! Are you seriously backing out now?”

“I’m just, not sure about this.” Wheein whimpered, clearly getting uncomfortable with the idea as the seconds went by. But the other girl, frustrated upon seeing her hesitations, glared at her in return.

“Why are you scared?”

“I’m not!” The younger girl denied.

“Look,” Jessica started softly, trying to encourage the girl to just follow the flawless plan. “She’s a scholar, at your school. Your father pays everything for her, she owes you!” Jessica pushed.

“Jess! We’re being gratuitously mean!”

“No, we are not!” Jessica shouted unconsciously, and immediately shut closed after sensing her mistake. She lowered her voice once again, “Everyone knows the Choi girl has a crush on you. For all we know, you’re doing a favour for her.”

“How can asking the girl out for prom night is doing the girl any favour?” Wheein is getting mad now, seeing how ridiculous the idea really is as she crouched next to the older girl, obviously hiding at the bottom corner of the school’s back stairs, away from prying eyes.

“Well, she gets to get asked by her crush.” Jessica smirked as she crossed her arms in pride, probably full with herself for coming up with the idea at the first place.

“Oh, I forgot one thing,” Wheein mockingly rolled her eyes, “And then dumping her before the prom itself? Are you insane?” She angrily whispered.

“Look, all you have to do is just ask her, Wheein-ah. Me and Jiho will handle the whole dumping thing, okay?” Jessica reassured softly, trapping the girl with her innocent image.

“I’m not sure…”

“Jiho said, if you do this... he’ll make sure that you’ll be the prom queen and he’ll be the prom king for the night.”

“I don’t care about that.”

“And he’ll be your date.”

“Re-really? Jiho sunbae will?”

Jessica knows Wheein likes the older guy. Wheein has been crushing on the same guy for the past 2 years and Jessica knows.

Wheein gulped loudly. Tricking the older girl to get a date with the older guy?

Wheein knows she has been an unpleasant person towards the girl for the past months; ignoring her stares, making comments about her clothes and appearance in general. She has been quite a bully and she’s definitely not proud of herself for doing so.

Of course, she couldn’t just blame Jessica for the all the things she has done to the older girl; even though Jessica was commonly the one pursued her to do all these horrible things, Wheein wasn’t particularly has the courage to say no to her.

Hyejin has been furious with her for the past weeks; highly disapproving with Wheein’s rude manners nowadays and the younger girl absolutely gives no effort in hiding her hatred towards Jessica.

Let’s just say, Hyejin and Jessica cannot be in the same room without Hyejin giving out her middle finger to the older one in the middle of the conversations.

Wheein is jealous with Hyejin’s strength to be her own person.

Wheein wished that she could be like the blonde girl; but she couldn’t. She was bullied too when she was young, even if everyone knows she was a Young Lady Jung.

And that makes her mad. She was ugly, overweight… and no one cares what her title and rank are. They called her names, horrible and hurtful names.

But as she underwent puberty, she noticed that people starting to treat her differently. People will crumble to her feet, begging to be friends with her. And overtime, she got high on these addicting feelings; the feelings of being loved and wanted all the time.

And she couldn’t do it if she started to get friendly with those ‘losers’, as constantly reminded by Jessica.

Going with Jiho sunbae will definitely be the highlight of every girl students in this high school and there it was; an opportunity that is opened solely for Wheein.

It was simple.

Hurt the girl and you get the guy. And the fame. And the respect. And all the loves.

What would you choose?

“Have I ever lied to you Wheein?”

Wheein pondered. The one she fears the most is feeling the regret and guilt afterwards.

But a girl needs to do what a girl needed to be done, to survive.

“I’ll do it.”

Jessica smirked in satisfaction.

“But you need to do me favour.” Wheein said.

“Whatever you want.”

“Hyejin can never know about this.”

-End of flashback-

 

---

“You’re going to Paris?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Young Lady Jung has invited me to attend CEO Kim’s debut show along with her.”

“I see.”

Seulgi rolled her eyes in boredom, trapped between the two women in front of her, probably having the most emotionless conversations she ever heard for the rest of her life.

Seeing the taller girl speaking in such a ridiculous obeyed manner and in a disturbingly monotone voice, it cracked the younger girl a little bit before reminding herself of the presence of the much older woman in the room.

Seulgi opted to remain silent and suffer through the interactions between the Moon family or the so-called grandmother and grand-daughter in front of her.

“That’s nice of her asking.”

“Indeed.”

“So,” Seulgi interjected, growing tired of being the frozen bystander. “You’re going unnie?” Of course she already knew the answer.

“Yes.”

The younger girl sighed upon receiving the one word answer. She knows that the girl is trying to be as serious as she could so that Madame wouldn’t ask too much questions.

But at the same time, it is unusual for Seulgi whose family thinks that ‘talking’ is the ultimate weapon; of course that being said Seulgi’s family is full with lawyers and judges unlike Moonbyul’s. But still, it is tiring for the younger girl to pretend that she is interested in staying in the office now.

“That would be a perfect opportunity for you then.” Madame Moon affirmed. “You need to give her this.”

The older woman carefully took out a tiny red diamond shape box from her purse and gently laid it down on the surface of the table across her, purposely visible to the younger companions sitting in front of her.

“What is this?” The older one politely asked.

“These…” Madame stretched, opening the lid of the said box revealing an identical pair of white coloured diamond rings, placed next to each other elegantly. “…are you engagement rings.”

“What? You guys haven’t had one yet?” Seulgi gasped, forcefully taking Moonbyul’s left hand towards her sight and clicked her tongue repeatedly upon seeing the vacant and ring-less finger of the girl.

“So rude unnie. You haven’t proposed yet?”

Moonbyul frowned deeply in return and faced the older woman instead of flicking away the playful scowl that has been graced itself to the other tall girl’s face.

“Wait, I’m proposing?”

“Yes.” Madame replied.

“Why?”

“Unnie, you’re engaged. You’re supposed to have one of these.” Seulgi interrupted and rolled her eyes, pushing Moonbyul’s hand jokingly.

“People have been talking. The news of you getting married have been spreading like wildfire, it would be scandalous if they saw you and Young Lady Jung without any engagement rings.” Madame explained.

“But, why am I the one who is proposing?”

“Because you’re older.” Madame glared. “Don’t you want to?”

The clear warning of her voice was enough to shake Moonbyul’s senses up fast to her brain and she gently nodded along.

“Of course, I will.”

“Good.”

The older woman stood up, at which the younger ladies automatically followed by and bowed to the woman as Madame Moon made her way to the large wooden door.

“I’ll be going first then.”

“Have a nice day, Madame.”

“You too, Young Lady Kang.”

A gentle click can be heard as the door closed shut and Seulgi immediately raised her posture before taking a seat again.

“Brrr…” She teasingly shivered, “How cold and boring can your grandmother be, unnie?”

Moonbyul chuckled lowly.

“Give her some credit; she is a nice woman if you just give her a chance to know her better.” Remembering how actually kind the older woman really is; it is indeed something than can only be kept in a memory.

The woman does seem like a cold one indeed, but in some other days… her family comes first. Of course Seulgi wouldn’t know that, being said Madame Moon is a very secretive person in every decisions she made and every feelings that she portrayed.

Moonbyul does appear to give the impression of slowly keep following the same motives with the older woman, but only because it just seems to be working.

People don’t burry their noses anywhere unnecessary near them because they know they’ll get nothing in return.

And indubitably, not forgetting how the older woman actually pushed the priority of her company and make way for Moonbyul’s happiness first and that seriously warms the young girl’s heart.

“Okay, I know you’re a bit coo coo…” Seulgi rotated her finger directly next to her head in a small circular motion, proving how ill the girl actually is in her head. “But I didn’t know your judgemental sense has been clouded as well, unnie!” The tall one jokingly finished, harshly slapping her right hand flat against her chest in a shocking manner.

Moonbyul just laughed out loud in response and shrugged, knowing that the girl wouldn’t even believe her if she explains anyway.

“I mean,” Seulgi whispered loudly, “she is forcing you to get married. What kindness does she have?”

Moonbyul’s smiled dropped.

Right, she hasn’t told the girl yet about how she was given the chance to reject the marriage at the first place.

But if she did tell the girl, no doubt Seulgi will ask why she didn’t actually reject the whole proposition. And Moonbyul is not really in a mood to explain why… why she has decided to marry Wheein even if she is no longer being forced to; because truth to be told, Moonbyul doesn’t really know why.

Moonbyul sighed lightly and Seulgi filled with worry.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Unnie, seriously I can help yo-”

“Drop it Seulgi.” Moonbyul cut of her off, guilty for not being completely honest with her one and only best friend.

“It’s fine.” She smiled weakly and Seulgi couldn’t help but to drop the topic anyways.

Pushing the girl wouldn’t be a wise move at the end.

Moonbyul took up the tiny box in front of her and inspect the identical rings carefully. Now she has a bigger problem in hand.

How the hell is she going to propose?

“My parents are not going to CEO Kim’s show in Paris.”

“Oh, are they a fan?”

“My mother is a regular customer lately, I shall say.”

“Madame Kang does have a fundamental taste in fashion.”

“Being a judge does have its peak.” Seulgi chuckled. “So instead, I’m going.”

“What?”

“I’m going in place of my parents.”

“You’re going to Paris?” Moonbyul, clearly shocked upon hearing the sudden news from the younger girl’s mouth.

“Yes, they were about to cancel the invitations. But I decided to attend on behalf of Kang’s family instead.”

Moonbyul mockingly scoffed. “And when exactly did you decide this?”

“A few minutes ago.”

“I figured.”

“Well you’re going!” Seulgi defended.

“Because Madame is not able to attend so I will come on her behalf.” Moonbyul debated and she stubbornly crossed her arms.

“Well…” Seulgi altered her gaze anywhere but Moonbyul’s confused eyes. “Last time I was a bit… unreasonable about Young Lady Jung.”

Moonbyul raised both of her eyebrows. “Okay…”

“I would like to meet her in person, you know? She seems like a nice girl now, from what I heard from you. It would be cruel of me to judge her like that.” Seulgi quietly and reluctantly admitted causing the older girl to let out a tiny smile in return.

“Okay,”

“Good.”

“I’m so excited that you’re going! We never really had any spontaneous trip like this Seulgi-ah.” Moonbyul softly tapped the girl’s right knee.

“Yeap!” Seulgi enthusiastically replied.

“Wait for a second, yeah? I need to ask Jackson again a few questions about my tickets and accommodations.” Moonbyul stood up but her eyes staring closely at the younger girl. “Are you going to be okay for a couple of minutes on your own?”

“Yeah, sure. For goodness sake, I’ve been hanging out in your office before, unnie.”

“Alright, be right back.”

As the handsome girl left the room, Seulgi took out her phone from her left pocket of her dark blue jacket; as the screen lightened up upon her finger pressing against the flat and thin gadget in her hand.

With another click, her screen shows a picture of a very familiar girl with a dark hair.

“Jung Wheein.”

She whispered to herself as she read the wordings at the top of the picture. Her finger continued to tap the screen once again and slide her finger to the left, this time revealing another picture of a different dark haired woman.

“Kim Yong Sun.”

Seulgi mumbled.

And as her finger once again slide to the left, uncovering yet another picture of a different person.

This time, the girl is with a red hair in colour and with a much shorter length compared to the previous two.

Seulgi gave out a tiny smirk upon seeing the smiling girl on her screen as she once more, whispered the girl’s name out loud.

“Ahn Hye Jin.” The young girl shook her head gently in disbelief.

“You’re in so much trouble than you thought Moonbyul unnie.” She said to no one in particular, but the warning was clearly directed to the older blonde girl in mind.

‘You’re lucky you have a friend who cares deeply about you.’

-------------------------

 

p/s: Ooooooooooooooh~ don't worry, the Paris and fluffy WheeByul are coming. But, don't you think it is time for Seulgi and Hwasa to meet in person? XD I apologize if there's any spelling or grammar mistakes :) Do comments what you guys think so far and thank you for your support! :D <3