Useless crush

Aiming for the moon

-flahsback-

“Unnie, there is a lot of fish in the sea. Out of all the beautiful sea creatures, why would you choose the mermaid?”

Seulgi sighed, her right hand placed under her chin, propping herself on top of the cold surface of the canteen table. Her eyes closed shut, fingers on her left hand drumming gently against the top of the said table. The odd statement causes Moonbyul to raise her eyebrows in questions.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” She took a glance towards the younger girl before converting her attention to the semi-empty plate in front of her.

“You…” Seulgi continued slowly but loud enough for the other girl to hear clearly, her eyes opened to stare at the older girl. “You have a crush on Jung Wheein,” and that got Moonbyul’s full and immediate attention.

She harshly turned her head left and right to check if there is any lousy person that happens to hear the obviously wrong ‘accusation’. Her right hand automatically slap and cover the younger girl’s mouth, not hard enough to hurt the girl but fast enough to warn her, preventing her from spilling any other unnecessary rumours.

“What? Wha-what are you talking about? Would you shut up and I-” Moonbyul suddenly let out a tiny squeal followed by what seems like a disgusted gasp upon feeling the wet tongue grazing against the skin of her palm, pulling her hand away almost immediately.

Seulgi nonchalantly shrugged and put her chin down on top of the table with both of her hands cushioning the impact of the hard-surfaced object, eyes glanced sideways and deeply towards Moonbyul’s direction, who happens to sit on the left side of the bench. Moonbyul was about to defend herself and maybe her pride before Seulgi, once again, cut her off.

“Unnie, why her?” Long gone was the tease tone Moonbyul used to hear from the younger girl, but instead was replaced with worry. Moonbyul gently wiped her palm against Seulgi’s uniform skirt, eyes staring blankly to her front, minds running in different miles and Seulgi’s stare lingered for a little while, wondering what was going on inside the girl’s head.

“Why would you compare…her to a mermaid?” Moonbyul finally replied after a good 2 minutes of silence. Seulgi closed her eyes and sighed loudly, “really? Out of all the things I just said, that’s what you paid attention the most?”

“Just curious.” Moonbyul stated, quite timidly.

“Because mermaids are pretty, that’s how they attract people but that doesn’t mean that they are necessarily nice.” Seulgi replied simply before adding, “at the end, mermaids eat their victims.”

“Wait, mermaids eat their victims?”

“What? Unnie I-”

“Hold on, does that mean Princess Ariel ate Prince Eric?”

“Unnie plea-”

“So my childhood is a lie?? I cannot believe this!”

“Unnie!”

Moonbyul stopped her ranting upon recognizing the desperation tone given by the younger girl. Both of Moonbyul's hands clutching her hair on each side of her head, an exaggerated response that she would even laugh if the situation was not that serious. The other girl now gaped openly at the older girl, annoyed and amused at the same time.

“Calm down. Aren’t you too old for Disney?”

“Hey, I’m not and how rude! I’m your senior.”

“Then act like one.” Seulgi snapped shut instantaneously, finally realizing the horrible mistake she just made.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Moonbyul let out a subtle smile which did not reach her eyes and her head tilted sideways. To anyone, the gesture may seem like an innocent one, but to others who know her for so long, the gesture usually means that Moonbyul is challenging her, challenging her to continue if she dares. Everyone knows how gentle Moonbyul can be, how generous her friendship is. But everyone also knows not to cross her. Moonbyul is like a ticking bomb, she doesn’t like to show it to everyone if she’s upset but she’ll explode if her patience is ran out of space. No one wants to see the girl mad.

The younger girl gulped loudly. “I-I mean…” Seulgi stuttered, knowing no way in hell she could get away with any excuses. Fortunately, Moonbyul decided to drop the topic, refusing to scare the tall girl any further. Moonbyul shrugged gently before picking up her fork again.

“Look I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say it like that. It’s just, you can’t fall for Wheein.” Seulgi finally got the courage to say it, gently laying her left palm against Moonbyul’s right arm.

“What kind of senior having a crush on a junior anyway?” Seulgi laughed nervously, hoping to not hear the exact response from the older girl.

“I just don’t want you to get hurt unnie.”

“I’m not and I won’t.”

“Unnie, promise?

“I promise.”

-End of flashback-

 

A gentle knock can be heard from the large wooden door across her study table, a sound that caused Moonbyul to invert her attention away from the thick papers and documents in front of her. Before she can say anything, the sound was followed by a second knock.

“Come in.”

The door creaked slowly, finally revealing the tall man behind the gentle knocks. He bowed instantly upon making eye contact with the much younger girl.

“Miss Moon, a small reminder. You have a meeting with Madame Moon in about 15 minutes from now.” Still bowing, his voice rough but low enough to indicate his respect towards his companion in the room.

The girl sighed loudly, glancing towards her left side of the table where the small clock can be seen. Thirty minutes past ten in the morning.

“She’s early.” The man slowly raised his head, both of his hands clutching each other to his front.

“Yes she is, Miss Moon. Madame Moon said her breakfast meeting has been cancelled and she would like to have a meal with you instead.”

“That’s new.” The man remained silent while the girl in suit closes her documents in hands, preparing to leave the office.

“Thank you Jackson.” She finally said before standing up, her hands unconsciously went to the front of her suit, straightening the already smooth and perfect clothing material. The man bowed once again before closing the door gently, leaving the girl to leave on her own will and time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Good morning Madame.” She bowed upon seeing the older woman sitting, waiting for her arrival at the Sierra restaurant.

“You’re here, come sit down.” The said woman replied, hands pointing out towards the chair in front of her; a rare invitation that the others might have to die to get one.

“Hello! My name is Alexandra and I would be your waitress for the day. Would you like to order?” A chirpy looking girl approached the clearly too large of a table to just accustomed two bodies of customers. The greeting was too fake for Madame Moon’s type, so she didn’t bother to even acknowledge the presence of the girl. Hey eyes bore themselves to the other girl in the private room, her so called grand-daughter. Moonbyul sensing the attention given both by Madame Moon and the waitress; gave out a tiny smile before taking the menu laying in front of her.

“You must be new.” Moonbyul stated; eyes glued to the fancy wordings of the rose-scented booklet.

“Pardon miss?” Moonbyul glanced at her and then to Madame Moon.

“Would you like to order first, Madame?” The older woman, clearly amused with the initiated conversation, nodded her head.

“I would like to have the Almond French Toast, Baked Cinnamon French Toast and Baked Pecan French Toast together with two glasses of orange juice.” Madame Moon ordered without referring to the provided menu.

“I-I beg your… please excuse me, I’m very new and I-” the girl stuttered in confusion, shock upon hearing the unexpected orders from the older woman. Madame Moon clearly on her verge of her own patience in turn glared at the waitress. Moonbyul who was silent during the whole interaction between the two women finally decided to intrude in.

“Get your pad and a pen perhaps? We would like to-” she started but was cut off by Madame’s stern voice.

“Get me another waitress.” Both the girl and Moonbyul turned their heads to her, giving her the most ultimate attention at the moment.

When no one responded to her demand, Madame Moon raised her voice and repeated her command.

“I said,” she said lowly, a clear warn for the girl, “get me another waitress!”

Moonbyul closed her menu before putting it down slowly. Her face showed no emotions, eyes fixed themselves on the older woman posture; it was as if she is used to these kind of response given from the Madame. The girl now shook in fear, comprehending the situation in hands, bowed her head almost immediately in attempt to apologize for her poor service. When the girl left the room; Moonbyul once again forced out a tiny smile.

“Must you be, angry towards the girl Madame?”

“No, but you must be mad to even asked me about it.” Madame Moon crossed her arm, chin lifted upwards.

“I apologize.” Her smile still in placed; a smile with lack of sincerity but more towards politeness and in a professional manner. Moonbyul gave out the order once a familiar looking man entered the room.

“Thank you, is that all Madame and Miss Moon?”

“No but just so you know, you wasted at least five minutes of my precious time Adam.” Madame Moon impatiently said.

“I am sorry Madame. We will try to be better next time.” With that, the man bowed to both the ladies before leaving, giving a much needed privacy for the Moon household.

“You have a meeting tonight?” Madame started.

“Was that a question?”

“No.” Moonbyul nodded upon hearing the response. Her relationship with her ‘grandmother’ was merely a business relationship. Any unnecessary conversation won’t be tolerated; thus, most of their talks were only a few words short.

“Meeting with whom, I might ask?”

“The Jung family.” Moonbyul froze. What? No.

“CEO Jung Jonghyun and his wife?” Madame Moon stared at the younger girl before giving out a reply.

“And their daughter.” Moonbyul gulped slowly, and tried her hardest not to show vulnerability in front of the woman. No, she cannot find out about this.

“You two went to the same high school together.”

“The Jung Private High School.” Madame Moon nodded.

“Yes.” Moonbyul reached out to the cold water filled glass, attempting to ease down the bulk feeling at the back of the throat.

“On what occasion, Madame?”

“Your wedding arrangement.”