Chapter 08

In our dreams

That night Jin had decided to come around for dinner, which Hyori was incredibly grateful for. For the entire day her thoughts had continually went back to her encounter with Yoongi that morning. With Jin there, she would be less likely to be embarrassed. Yoongi had text her during the day asking if he could bring Namjoon back for dinner as well. Part of her wanted to laugh at him asking permission to bring his friend into his own home, but part of her was glad that he respected her enough to ask her.

 

She had met Jin at the supermarket after her classes, the older man offering to help her cook. They went back to Yoongi’s apartment and started preparing the ingredients. “So how was your first day back?” Jin asked as he skilfully chopped up some vegetables. “Not bad. I feel like I’ve missed so much though. Luckily my friends took notes for me, I just need to make copies and catch up.” She said with a smile as she started preparing the meat.

 

They fell into a comfortable silence, the only sound was the music from Jin’s phone which was hooked up to a small speaker. “So…” he said, sounding a little uncertain. “How has it been living with Yoongi?” Hyori almost dropped her knife at the sudden question. She put the knife down, busying herself with other, less dangerous tasks as her face tinted pink as memories of her encounter with Yoongi flashed through her mind. “I-It’s been fine. Yoongi is a nice guy.”

 

Jin hummed in response, his nimble fingers making short work of the vegetables. “I’ve never seen him so worried before.” He admitted quietly. Hyori kept her back to him, not wanting him to see her expression. “I guess that’s kinda normal when you find someone bleeding in your doorway.” She said lightly, hoping that Jin would change the subject. She heard the sound of Jin putting down his knife. He sighed quietly. “He feels very protective of you. I obviously don’t know everything about you that he does, but I do know that you two are connected.”

 

Hyori bit her lip. She felt uneasy, how much did Yoongi know about her? How much did Jin know? She busied herself with pulling out the spices and other things they needed to continue cooking. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Yoongi has any weird feelings for you or anything!” Jin said quickly, noticing her silence. “It’s just that, I wanted to tell you that Yoongi is a good guy. Yeah, he's often grumpy as hell but he genuinely does care about you.”

 

Hyori nodded. “I know.” She said, suddenly feeling extremely guilty for agreeing to Yoongi’s request that she stayed with him. She was beginning to feel like she was taking advantage of his kindness. She sighed, her shoulders dropping. “I should probably leave, shouldn’t I?” she said quietly. Jin appeared by her side, his expression frantic. “No, no, no! That’s not what I meant at all!” he said as he waved his hands in front of his body. She turned to face him, her expression showing her confusion. Jin ruffled his hair in frustration. “I’m not doing a good job of explaining myself here.” He said as he thought about how to phrase what he wanted to say.

 

“I just wanted to tell you that I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable here. Yoongi is a decent guy. He obviously knows what your connection to him means, and I know that he cares a lot about you. But I don’t want you to feel any pressure about that, ok? Aish, I’m probably just giving you more pressure by saying all this, aren’t I?” he said. She chuckled at him, “Kinda, yeah.” She admitted with a smile. Jin gave her an apologetic smile. “Sorry. This is kinda new territory. I’ve never seen Yoongi care about a girl before.” He said as he turned back to his vegetables.

 

Hyori cleared , “So, has Yoongi ever dated before?” she asked, hoping she sounded nonchalant as she turned back the spices, hoping she was managing to keep her expression neutral. Jin shook his head. “Not really. Nothing serious anyway. He has always been too obsessed with his work to date.” Hyori couldn’t stop a small grin from making its way onto her face at that piece of information. She wasn’t one hundred percent sure why, but knowing that Yoongi had never seriously dated before made her feel happy.

 

They continued cooking, their conversation once again turning light hearted. When they were almost finished cooking, Yoongi returned home with Namjoon behind him. They both headed to the kitchen where they were met with wonderful smells and warm welcomes from both Jin and Hyori. Yoongi introduced Hyori and Namjoon to each other, Namjoon commenting on the fact that she seemed to be a good cook and that she was causing Yoongi to put on weight, which earned him a glare and a few choice words from his business partner.

 

Jin and Hyori served dinner, which was inhaled by all four of them. “I can’t believe how good a cook you are!” Namjoon remarked after they had finished eating. “Yoongi, do you have another spare room that I can move into?” he said, half-jokingly. Hyori giggled at his behaviour. “I’m not that good. Jin did most of the work.” She said modestly. Jin shook his head as he stood up and started clearing away their plates, “Don’t be so modest! If you had helped without having any skills of your own it would have been a disaster, right Namjoon?” he said, giving the man a pointed look.

 

Namjoon had the decency to look embarrassed while Yoongi chuckled. He leaned in closer to Hyori, “If you think I’m bad at cooking you should see Namjoon cooking. He turns dinner into a massacre.” He said making Hyori laugh. “You still owe me for burning a hole in my good pot.” Jin said grumpily as he took their plates through to the kitchen. “How did you manage to burn a hole in a pot?” Hyori asked curiously. Namjoon ran his hand down his face, “I may be good at several things, but cooking is just not one of them.” He admitted.

 

The three others laughed at him, Namjoon joining in at the memory as they helped clear away their plates. “Right, I better get going. I have an early shift in the hospital.” Jin said as he gathered his things. “I’ll come down with you.” Namjoon said as he collected his things as well. Hyori felt panic start to settle in. Memories of that morning running through her head. Yoongi and Hyori said their farewells to the two men at the door before being left in an awkward silence by the door. They both turned to go back into the living room at the same time, bumping into each other in the tight space. They muttered apologies as they tried to move around each other.

 

Hyori's foot caught on a shoe that had been left out and she started to fall. Yoongi’s hand shot out and grabbed her arm, pulling her upwards. She crashed against his chest as he stumbled backwards, his back hitting the wall. She looked up at him, her hands fisted in his partially ed dress shirt, his arms securely around her waist as he held her flush against him. They stayed that way, just staring into each other’s eyes until Hyori pulled herself out of Yoongi’s embrace. She smoothed her hair back. “S-Sorry.” She stuttered.

 

Yoongi pushed himself off of the wall, the two of them so close they were practically touching. “Are you ok?” he asked, his voice quiet and gentle. She nodded, unable to take her eyes off of him. “Yeah, I’m fine.” She said, her voice barely a whisper. Yoongi’s hand twitched forward slightly as he resisted the urge to reach out and push back the strand of hair that was still covering her face. He fisted his hands, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. He opened his mouth to speak but she mumbled something about going to bed and scampered away.

 

He looked at her retreating back until she went into her room and closed the door. He let out a frustrated sigh as he looked down at his hands. He could still feel the warmth from her body where it had been pressed against his. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, willing himself to remain calm. He let the breath out slowly, his eyes opening and looking at her door once again, his expression full of longing.