Chapter 05

In our dreams

Yoongi crouched down next to the bleeding girl. “Hyori! Hyori!” he shook her, trying to wake her up. She only whimpered in pain, her eyes remaining closed. He swore loudly before standing up and entering the passcode into his apartment. He swung the door open and turned to pick her up. He struggled to get her limp frame to cooperate with him. “This is not as easy as the movies make it look.” He grumbled as he eventually managed to pick her up and take her into his apartment. He laid her on the couch before running to close the door.

 

He ran to the bathroom and grabbed some towels. He rushed back to her side. Her breathing was laboured as she curled up on her side. “Hyori, can you hear me?” he said frantically as he shook her again. She replied with another whimper. He swore loudly before pulling out his phone and calling his friend Jin, who happened to be a doctor. When Jin answered his call Yoongi barked, “Emergency. Please come now.” Before hanging up, not giving the older man a chance to speak. He threw the phone onto the coffee table and turned back to her.

 

“What the hell do I do?” he looked her over, her bloody arm looking like the worst injury. He wrapped a towel around her arm, hoping it would stop the bleeding. A knock sounded at his door twenty minutes later. He rushed to the door and let in his dishevelled looking friend. “What’s so important that you couldn’t even find time to explain?” Jin grumbled. Yoongi led him to the living room. As soon as Jin’s eyes landed on Hyori, everything went out of his head, except for helping her. Yoongi and Namjoon called it his “Doctor Mode”.

 

He rushed to her side, opening his medical bag. “How long ago was she injured?” he asked as he started checking over her body. “About two hours ago.” Yoongi said as he hovered behind Jin, ready to help him if he needed it. “Do you know what happened to her?” Jin asked as he removed the towel from her arm, the blood not fazing him at all. “Her father attacked her.” Jin turned to face him. “And how exactly did she end up on your couch?”

 

“She’s my soulmate.” Yoongi said quietly. Jin only nodded before turning back to her. “Help me get her hoodie off. I need to check her arm.” Yoongi nodded and moved to help him remove the blood stained clothing. Yoongi winced at the cuts that ran from her wrist to her elbow. Jin inspected the wound carefully. “It’s a defensive wound. It looks like it’s from a broken bottle.” He murmured to himself. “It looks like she put her arm up to protect herself, the cuts start from around the wrist area and travel up to the elbow on the outside of the arm.”

 

Yoongi could only stand by and watch, his anger growing with each new wound Jin discovered. In addition to her cut up arm, split lip and swollen eye, she also had a lot of bruising around her stomach. Jin told him it looked like she had been kicked repeatedly. He clenched and unclenched his fists by his side, repressing the urge to punch something… or someone.

 

Once Jin finally cleaned and bandaged all of her wounds, Yoongi’s anger had soothed slightly. Jin sat back on his heels with a sigh. “It’s going to take a while for her to get back on her feet. She took quite a beating.” He said, his eyes full of pity for the young girl. “Thank you.” Yoongi said meekly as he sat on the arm of the couch by her head, absentmindedly brushing her hair away from her face. “It’s fine.” Jin said, brushing off the younger man’s thanks. Jin watched Yoongi’s actions. He had never seen such a tender look on his face before. “You really care about her, don’t you?” he asked quietly.

 

Yoongi looked up at him, a fierce look in his eyes. “I want to protect her.” He said firmly. Jin nodded and laid a hand on his shoulder. “I know you will.” They exchanged smiles before Jin yawned loudly. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I am in desperate need of some sleep. Some of us were on night shift last night.” Yoongi gave the older man a guilty look. “Sorry, man. I just didn’t know what else to do.” Jin grinned at him, “You owe me food.” He said with a chuckle as he packed up his belongings. “Take care of her. I’ll come back tonight to check up on her, ok?” Yoongi nodded and escorted the older man to the door.

 

Once Jin was gone, Yoongi suddenly felt a little nervous. He had an unconscious young girl on his couch. He ran his hand through his hair, remembering about his run in the morning. “I seriously need to shower.” He mumbled to himself. He gave Hyori one last glance before heading into his bedroom. He called Namjoon and briefed him on the situation to let him know that he wouldn’t be going into the office. Namjoon told him not to worry about anything and to keep him updated on Hyori's condition.

 

He had the quickest shower he had ever had, scared that she would wake up and leave. He stuck his head out of the door, just to make sure she was ok. He quickly wore a pair of comfortable sweatpants and a hoodie before heading out to the living room. He sat on the couch opposite her, at a loss about what to do. His eyes roamed over her body, moving from injury to injury. He felt the anger wash over him again. She ran out of her house with nothing. No phone. No money. She must have been desperate to get away. He leaned forward on the couch, his elbows resting on his knees.

 

How could anyone want to hurt her?  He thought as he gently ran his fingers down the side of her face. He pulled back abruptly when her eyelids began to flutter. She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. “Where am I?” she said weakly as she tried to sit up, her battered body protesting from the movement. “Don’t try to move.” Yoongi said, his hands outstretched towards her, ready to catch her if she fell. She turned to him, startled by his smooth voice. “Oh my god.” She said as she once again tried to sit up, this time Yoongi helped her so that she wouldn’t hurt herself anymore. Once she was upright, he moved back to his own couch. “Do you want anything to drink or eat?” he asked, unsure what to say. She shook her head, too embarrassed to ask for anything. She hung her head, not able to meet his gaze. “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have just turned up here like this.” She said as she played with her fingers.

 

“It’s just…” she let out a deep sigh. “I didn’t know where else to go.” He studied her for a moment. “How did you know where I live?” he asked curiously. She gave him a guilty look as she tapped the side of her head. “I saw the memory of the day you bought this place. For some reason the address stuck in my head.” He nodded. “Why didn’t you go to a hospital?” he asked. As soon as he did, a sad look crossed her face as she once again dipped her head, her hair covering her face. “Because it’s not safe.” He gave her a confused look.

 

She sighed once again. “The last time I was hurt badly. I went to the hospital and he turned up.” Yoongi didn’t need to ask who the ‘he’ was. “I tried to tell the doctors that he was the one that hurt me but he played the part of the perfect parent and made it seem like I was some rebellious teenager who had gotten in with the wrong crowd and gotten myself beaten up. They actually believed him.” She said with a weak chuckle. Yoongi’s hands once again turned to fists as she spoke.

 

“I’m sorry.” Yoongi said softly. She looked up at him with a sad look on her face as she absentmindedly picked at the bandages wrapped around her arm. “Thank you for helping me, but I should probably go. I’ve given you enough trouble as it is.” She said as she went to stand. Yoongi shot up and placed his hand on her shoulder, keeping her on the couch, afraid that if she moved too much she would aggravate her wounds. She flinched away from his touch, which didn’t go unnoticed by Yoongi. He pulled away from her, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. “Where would you go?” he asked. She shrugged her shoulders as she sat back onto the couch. “I’ll figure something out.” She said making Yoongi frown at her. “You have no phone, no money, no bank card, nothing.”

 

He let out a soft sigh as he looked down at her. His heart ached as he took in her pathetic appearance. “Stay here.” He said simply. Her head snapped up so that she could look at him. “What?” she asked, dumbfounded by his offer. He crouched down so that he was level with her, but made sure he was far enough away that he didn’t make her feel uncomfortable. “Stay here.” He repeated. “I have a spare room, which has a lock on it. Your father has no idea where I live so he can’t reach you here. You’ll be safe.” Her eyes filled with tears. Kindness and safety were things she was unaccustomed to in her life. “But why? You barely even know me. Why would you be so kind to me?” she asked, expecting some kind of catch to his generosity.

 

He gave her a small, warm smile. “Because you need my help. Do you have any idea how worried I was when our dream ended like that? How worried I was when I saw you lying at my doorway like that? Do you really think I could let you go back and let you get hurt again? Even though this is the first time we’ve ever technically met, I’ve known you for a long, long time.” he said, tapping his head in a similar manner to her action from before. “I won’t force you to stay against your will, but you are welcome to stay here. For as long as you want.”

 

Hyori let out a small laugh as tears began to fall down her face. “Thank you so much.” She said as he ignored the pain in her body and threw her arms around his neck in a bone crushing hug. “Thank you.” She whispered as Yoongi’s hands hesitantly rose and wrapped around her.