Chapter 06

In our dreams

After she agreed to stay, Yoongi offered to make her some breakfast while she took a shower. He showed her where the towels were kept and offered her some of his clothing. “They’ll be way too big for you, but it’s better than nothing.” He said, his cheeks tinted pink and his voice a little gruffer than normal as he handed her the bundle of clothes. She thanked him and took the clothes and disappeared into the bathroom.

 

Yoongi wandered into the kitchen and started making a simple breakfast. His mind reeling from the mornings events. When she came into the kitchen some time later, Yoongi had to stifle a laugh, his clothes were hanging off of her smaller frame. “Shut up.” She mumbled, feeling a little self-conscious as she took a seat, watching him as he cut up some fruit for them to eat. “I’ll get you some more clothes today, ok? Just bear with those for a while.” He said as he put a plate in front of her.

 

“I can go back and get my things.” She said quietly. Yoongi frowned at her. “You can’t go back there. It’s not safe.” He said sternly. “It’s fine. I know when he’ll be out. I can go then.” Yoongi shook his head. “I don’t like it. At least let me come with you.” She looked up at him in horror. “No. What if something happened to you? I’d never forgive myself! No, it’s better if I go alone.” Yoongi’s frown only deepened. “Not happening. Either I go with you, or we buy you new clothes.”

 

The stared at each other over the table before she let out a sigh, “Fine. He should be gone by eleven and won’t go back until after six.” Yoongi checked the time. “Plenty of time for you to eat something. Sorry it’s not much, I’m not the best cook.” She snorted at his words. “You’re telling me? I remember your memory of the time you tried to cook pasta.” Yoongi groaned at her words. “I can’t believe you saw that memory.” He said as he hid his face in embarrassment. She outright laughed at him. “I’m so glad I saw it. I can’t believe you set fire to your curtains.” Yoongi threw a grape at her, hitting her shoulder. “Shut up and eat.” He grumbled.

 

She laughed quietly as they began eating. Once they were finished, Yoongi took away the plates and put them in the dishwasher. “Come on. It’s almost noon. The faster we go there the faster we can get back.” She nodded, her smile from before replaced by a nervous look which didn’t go unnoticed by Yoongi. “Don’t worry, I won’t let anything happen to you.” He promised as he gently laid a hand on her shoulder. She tensed up for a second before relaxing and smiling up at him, his warm hand on her shoulder and kind words soothing her nerves a little.

 

He took her to the underground garage where his car was waiting. They got into the car and she gave him her address. The closer they got, the more nervous she became. Yoongi noticed that she was biting her lip, which he found quite distracting. When they pulled up outside of her apartment he noticed that she was trembling. He gently reached over and took her hand in his and squeezed it gently. “Don’t worry. I’m right beside you.” She gave him a weak smile before taking a shaky breath. “Let’s get this over with.”

 

They approached her building and she took a key out from the mailbox. “A spare.” She said, feeling the need to talk to try and cover her nervousness. They approached her door, her hands trembling so much that it took her several tries to put the key in the lock. The clicking of the lock felt as loud as a gunshot to her. She paused for a second, expecting the door to fly open to reveal her furious father, but there was only silence from inside the apartment. She gingerly opened the door, peering inside before actually taking a step inside.

 

Her whole body was tense, her fight or flight response firmly set on flight in case her father appeared. She led Yoongi to her bedroom where she pulled out her suitcase and began haphazardly throwing things into it, her movements slow because of her injuries. Yoongi stood by the doorway, half watching her, half looking out for her father. Thankfully she managed to pack up her things without any interruptions. Before they left, she wrote a note telling her father that she wouldn’t be coming home and not to look for her.

 

It wasn’t until they were back in the safety of Yoongi’s car that the tenseness drained from her body. Yoongi helped her take her suitcase up to his apartment and took it to the spare room. “I know it’s not much, but feel free to treat this place as your own home ok?” he said awkwardly as he stood at the doorway of the room. She turned to him, a genuine smile on her face. “Thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this.” Yoongi waved off her thanks. “Make yourself at home. I’ll be out in the living room.”

 

He left her to organise her things and sat in the living room. He put on the TV but he wasn’t paying any attention to it. He continued to glance at her open bedroom door, occasionally catching glances of her as she passed by the doorway. She appeared by his side some time later, sitting the couch opposite him, wincing from her injuries. He noticed that she hadn’t changed out of his clothes which made him smile, a strange feeling settling in his stomach at seeing her in his clothes. “Are you ok?” he asked worriedly. “Yeah, I’m ok. This is for you.” She said as she held out an envelope to him. “What’s this?” he asked as he reached for the envelope. “Money. To cover my part of the rent and bills.” Yoongi’s hand froze inches away from the envelope.

 

“I don’t want your money Hyori.” He said as he pulled his hand back. She sat forward, perching on the end of the couch. “Please. I can’t just stay here for nothing.” She said, putting the envelope on the coffee table in front of them. Yoongi sighed loudly. “I don’t want or need your money. Save that money for yourself.” She frowned at him. “But I feel like I’m taking advantage of you if I just stay here without contributing.”

 

“Can you cook?” he asked suddenly, catching her off guard. She gave him a weird look. “Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?” Yoongi grinned at her. “As you are already well aware, I am a terrible cook. Instead of paying me, why don’t you cook instead? Jin keeps on telling me I’m going to die before I’m thirty if I keep on eating takeout food all the time.” she thought over his offer, her brows furrowed. “It still doesn’t seem fair…” Yoongi sighed. “Well I’m not taking your money. So it’s either you stay here without doing anything, or you take charge of the cooking. It’s your choice.” He said stubbornly. She sighed, “Fine. But don’t complain to me if you don’t like my cooking.” She mumbled.

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon chatting and eating takeout. Yoongi had insisted that her cooking duties didn’t start until after she was healed (and they had visited a supermarket). It wasn’t until there was a knock at the door that they realised that the day had slipped away from them. Yoongi answered the door to a refreshed looking Jin. He invited the older man in and formally introduced him to Hyori. She thanked him for taking care of her injuries. “It’s not a problem. How are you feeling now?” he asked as he sat beside her on the couch. “Much better, thanks.”

 

Jin nodded. “That’s good to hear. Do you mind if I have another look at your injuries? I just want to have a check up on them.” He asked politely. “Not at all.” She said as Jin began slowly unwinding the bandages around her arm. He chatted easily with her as if they were old friends and hadn’t only met that day. She found him to be really easy going and easy to talk to. Yoongi sat on the other couch, a little spike of jealousy running through him at how easily the two of them got along.

 

Once Jin had checked over all of her injuries and given her the medicine she needed to take, he offered to cook for the three of them. Yoongi waved in the direction of the kitchen. “You can try, but there’s not much to work with in there.” Jin rolled his eyes at the younger man before heading to the kitchen. A few minutes later, his loud voice sounded throughout the apartment. “Min Yoongi! How do you live like this?!” he yelled. Yoongi rolled his eyes and whispered to Hyori. “Jin loves to cook. If he hadn’t become a doctor he definitely would have become a chef. My complete lack of cooking ability personally offends him.” Hyori covered to stifle her laugh.

 

Jin stalked through to the living room, a look of disgust on his face. “Your fridge literally contains nothing of use. Nothing. How do you live?” he wailed. “Takeout.” Yoongi said with a shrug. Jin flopped down on the couch, his persona of “Doctor Jin” completely gone. “What do you guys want? I’ll order.” Yoongi said as he pulled out his phone. They quickly decided on their food and Yoongi placed the order, the restaurant not even asking for his address as he was such a regular customer.

 

The three of them ate and chatted late into the night. Hyori was thankful for his presence, it made everything a little less awkward. Having the connection with Yoongi, and knowing what it was supposed to mean had been weighing on her mind since he had offered to let her stay. Part of her had initially wondered if he expected something from her when he invited her to stay. But after spending the day with him, and hearing stories about his childhood from Jin, she came to the realization that Yoongi was a good guy and that he could be trusted. When she went to her room that night, she fell into an easy sleep, feeling safer than she had in a very long time.