Chapter 8

One Great Escapade

“It won’t open.” Jaehwan whispered to Sanghyuk. The two of them had sneaked into Hakyeon and Taekwoon’s room in order to release the two that night. They had decided to finally free the two from the sufferings so that Taekwoon might spare them. But then, luck seemed to hated the boys because it was not on their sides. They tried to use all the keys that they found in the storage room but the handcuff would not open, not even a little. “What do we do?” Jaehwan asked Sanghyuk.

“Let’s get out of here.” Sanghyuk replied hastily. The last thing he would like to deal with was a fuming Taekwoon who just woke up. Taekwoon and Hakyeon were sleeping beside each other so Sanghyuk could already guess that Taekwoon was not very pleased. In a swift motion, Sanghyuk grabbed Jaehwan’s arm and pulled the older guy to the other room where Wonshik and Hongbin were waiting for them.

“Hongbin hyung! Wonshik hyung!” Sanghyuk called out when he pushed the door of the room open. Wonshik, who was sleeping as usual, was awoken and Hongbin, who was playing by himself, looked at Sanghyuk. “We cannot release them.” Sanghyuk explained, closing and locking the door for his safety.

“It’s like this,” Jaehwan started when he saw how confused both Wonshik and Hongbin looked. “We tried to use the smallest key first. I was trembling but I managed to make it fit in. I tried to twist the key but it wouldn’t budge. I tried and tried but it wouldn’t open so Sanghyuk told me to try another key. I took the silver one with a Chinese letter on it but it was too big to fit it. But I did not give up at all—”

“—Can’t you go directly to the point?” Hongbin asked, cutting off the babbling Jaehwan.

“Anyway, I really did my best in trying to open the lock.” Jaehwan did not even flinch and just continued. He obviously did not like stopping when he had already started his storytelling. “So Sanghyuk told me to try the other keys next. I wasn’t very pleased but I tried to use the one with a cute pink design. Sanghyuk doubted the key but I had faith so I tried to use it—”

“—Are we supposed to listen until he’s done explaining?” Hongbin whispered to Sanghyuk as Jaehwan kept on babbling about how he tried to release Taekwoon and Hakyeon with the keys.

“I guess so. But hyung, we tried more than twenty keys and if he’s going to explain how he used it one by one, it will take a really long time to explain.” Sanghyuk whined quietly, not wanting to interrupt Jaehwan. After all, Jaehwan looked like a kindergarten, explaining how he played with his friends to his parents. Sanghyuk would feel bad if he were to interrupt such a happy kid.

“So, we tried the sixth key. It looks pretty old so I thought that it was the one.” Jaehwan was not yet done babbling. “But when I tried it, the handcuff won’t open again. It was pretty frustrating for my part—” He was the one who stopped by himself upon noticing that Wonshik was already dozing off while sitting down in the middle of his storytelling. “Wonshik! Don’t sleep on me!” Jaehwan said in a voice of an old lady.

Wonshik sat up straight then cleared his throat. He realized that Jaehwan’s babbling was just like those boring interviews that he had to undergo before. “In conclusion, you cannot remove the handcuffs from Taekwoon hyung and Hakyeon hyung’s wrists.” Wonshik interrupted before Jaehwan could start babbling again. Sanghyuk and Hongbin sent Wonshik a grateful look, not wanting to listen to Jaehwan’s nonsensical story any longer.

“Oh, how did you know?” Jaehwan asked Wonshik, grinning cheekily.

“Anyway, what should we do now?” Sanghyuk asked the three older boys. “I’m running out of plans and I am positive that Taekwoon hyung would look for us tomorrow. He’s surely fuming and he would get even angrier if he finds out that we don’t have a key.”

“Are you sure that you already tried all the keys in the storage room?” Wonshik asked. He was also scared for their safety despite having an evil genius as an ally. Even the evil genius was running out of plans and that could only mean that they would be dying in Taekwoon’s hands.

Jaehwan nodded his head in reply. “Yes, we are sure. I even sniffed around the storage room to check if there are still keys in there but there’s nothing more.” He seriously explained to Wonshik. “Hey, do you want me to tell you how I sniff around the storage room?” He asked and without waiting for a reply, he opened his mouth to babble again. Luckily, Hongbin was quick enough to cover Jaehwan’s mouth.

“No, thanks. I think we had enough storytelling today.” Hongbin muttered.

“But what do we do now, Hongbin hyung?” Sanghyuk worriedly asked. He had always been an evil kid and he was a genius. Usually, he would be able to escape without worrying and without even having a hard time. But currently, the situation was not a normal one. Sanghyuk could not run away. Plus, he was up against a monster coach—a pokerfaced monster!

Hongbin pursed his lips, thinking. “I have a plan.” He finally spoke up after a few seconds of silence (it was silent because he did not remove his hand from Jaehwan’s mouth—Jaehwan was struggling to remove the handsome guy’s hand so that he could speak again). “I don’t know if it is effective but I guess it is worth a try.” Hongbin said.

Wonshik shrugged his shoulder indifferently. “As long as I can still sleep, it does not matter.”

“Then, I guess everything will be okay.” Hongbin smiled, finally removing his hand that was covering Jaehwan’s mouth. “First, we need to have a lot of energy to be able to execute my plan well. We should be good physically and we should be mentally prepaired.”

“What is exactly your plan, hyung?” Sanghyuk asked. Hongbin grinned in reply and gestured everyone to lean in closer so that everyone would be able to hear it carefully.

 

“So, your plan is to avoid them like a plague?” Wonshik asked Hongbin, panting as he and Hongbin use themselves to block the door. The two of them left the room to go to the comfort room but on their way to the comfort room, they saw Hakyeon and Taekwoon so they quickly ran back to their room as if their pants were on fire. Of course, Taekwoon ran after them so they had to ran faster. Lucky for them, Taekwoon was not very fast because of Hakyeon who tried to stop him from murdering Wonshik and Hongbin.

“It is much better than facing Taekwoon hyung.” Hongbin pointed out, panting as well.

“What happened to the two of you?” Sanghyuk asked in confusion seeing the two panting guys. “You came back so fast. I though you guys are going to pee?” He added.

“It’s a long story.” Wonshik panted, collapsing on the floor. “There was a monster wanting to murder us near the comfort room.” He explained, closing his eyes to get some sleep.

“Monster? What monster?” Sanghyuk was confused. “Hyung, can’t you answer me properly?” He asked even though he already had a clue. He just wished that his guess was wrong because if he were right, he would regret his choice of coming back to the mental hospital when he could have just escape already.

“So, Taekwoon hyung found you?” Jaehwan came out of the closet—literally—before Hongbin or Wonshik could respond to Sanghyuk’s question. “Let me guess, it did not go well.” He could even chuckle at crucial times like those. Sanghyuk wondered if Jaehwan was even aware that the four of them were already really close to death, Taekwoon being their future murderer.

Hongbin nodded his head. “Yes, it did not. And what were you doing inside of the closet again, hyung?” He asked, still not getting used to Jaehwan’s weirdness. Hongbin believed he, himself, was the only normal one in the hospital (well, maybe together with Sanghyuk).

“Oh, I was eating my last box of Special K cereal*.” Jaehwan simply replied as if it was a pretty normal thing to do and it really wasn’t.

[*Jaehwan once ate a cereal inside his closet in episode 2 (I guess) of MTV Diary.Watch it ;-)]

“But hyungs, did you ran away from them? Taekwoon hyung did not try to kill you, right?” Sanghyuk asked, deeply concerned for the safety of his hyungs.

“He did, almost did. But we ran as fast as we could.” Hongbin sighed. Just thinking about his encounter with Taekwoon caused his heart to beat faster—not in a romantic way but in a very horrific one. “I thought that it would be our last moment here on Earth.” He even clutched his chest dramatically (but Wonshik’s snores at the background ruined everything). “I’m too handsome to die.” He added.

“I don’t think that we can run away forever, hyung. We have to do something. I thought about and we cannot just run.” Sanghyuk stated firmly. For a moment, he looked like a noble young man. “So, we have to do it this way, we hold Taekwoon hyung before telling them the truth. If he started struggling to get out of our grips, let’s hit his head with a brick and that would knock him out. After that, we run away and leave him with Hakyeon hyung. They can rot together.” He explained, his noble image came crumbling down.

“I like that idea, let’s do that.” Hongbin nodded his head in agreement.

 

“So, are you just planning on staring at us?” Hakyeon asked, finally feeling uncomfortable. The six boys gathered in their cardboard—hangout—in order to talk. They had a chaotic start because Taekwoon was so ready to murder the four guys but they managed to calm him down.

Taekwoon glared at the four boys in annoyance. They had been staring at him like some lost puppies for more than an hour already and he was already irritated. “Can someone please explain?” He gritted his teeth, ready to attack anytime.

“Explain, uh, explain.” Sanghyuk forced himself to laugh and so did his other three accomplice. Even if he told Hongbin his plans so confidently, there was still that fact that Taekwoon might kill them so he wanted to be extra careful. “Jaehwan hyung,” He nudged Jaehwan who was sitting next to him. “Explain it to them.” He never thought that Jaehwan’s talkativeness would come in handy until that day. He was suddenly feeling guilty for not appreciating Jaehwan right away.

Jaehwan grinned, looking both excited and happy that the spotlight was finally on him. Plus, he loved the fact that he could start explaining what happened earlier that day once again. “It’s like this, hyungs.” Jaehwan started. “We tried to use the smallest key first. I was trembling but I managed to make it fit in. I tried to twist the key but it wouldn’t budge. I tried and tried but it wouldn’t open so Sanghyuk told me to try another key. I took the silver one with a Chinese letter on it but it was too big to fit it. But I did not give up at all and just kept on trying to use it but Sanghyuk—”

“Are we supposed to listen to him until the end?” Hakyeon did not even bother to lower his voice when he asked but Jaehwan ignored him and just continued babbling even if no one was listening to him anymore.

For once, Sanghyuk saw Hakyeon as a normal person. “Yes, hyung, you are.” Sanghyuk replied to Hakyeon’s question. He felt a bit bad for using Jaehwan against the two eldest guys but it would be better than facing death in such a young age, right? “We used more than twenty keys.”

“—I took the Pororo designed key next. Hyukkie told me that it’s impossible to be the correct key but hey, nothing is impossible, right? You don’t know if the policeman was trying to disguise his key so that no one would steal it from him. Plus, Pororo is cute so why not?” Jaehwan was still not yet done babbling even when no one was listening to him already except for the kind Hakyeon.

Taekwoon looked at what the others were doing and it irked him. Sanghyuk and Hongbin were playing ‘rock, paper, scissors’ quietly, Wonshik was—as usual—sleeping, while Hakyeon was unbelievably paying attention to Jaehwan’s words. Taekwoon had always known that birds of the same feather would flock together. He hit his own forehead in frustration.

“Why did you hit yourself?” Jaehwan asked Taekwoon in confusion, cutting himself off. “Anyway, are you guys still listening?” He looked at each and everyone, except for Wonshik who was busy snoring.

“No.” Taekwoon responded, sounding annoyed.

“But I am!” Hakyeon responded louder than Taekwoon. For some reasons, he actually found Jaehwan’s nonsensical story interesting. Indeed, he was not normal as well.

Jaehwan smiled in satisfaction then he clapped his hands once. “Okay, so I tried to make the silver key fit in but it’s too big. As an optimist, I did not run out of hope but Hyukkie beside me told me that it wouldn’t do so we have to hurry and try the other keys next. He said that the monster—” Jaehwan pointed at Taekwoon without any fear at all. “—might wake up and he might not spare our souls.”

Upon hearing what Jaehwan said, Taekwoon glared at Sanghyuk who smiled innocently. Taekwoon could only sigh. Sanghyuk was evil but no one could touch him because he looked pretty innocent when he was no way near that. If you would try attacking him, you would look like the bad one.

“Taekwoon hyung!” Jaehwan imitated the voice of an old woman. “Are you still listening? Should I start from the very beginning again?” He asked, scratching his head.

“No, please…” Hongbin whispered, terrified. His ears were already hurting and he did not want to become a very handsome yet deaf person just yet. He did not want to become a deaf artwork because that would just be weird. “Sanghyuk, let’s just tell them properly. Let’s do ourselves a favor and spare our lives. Hakyeon hyung will be the only stuck with Taekwoon hyung after all.” He said out loud, shrugging his shoulders. He did not care about Taekwoon anymore. He just wanted to spare his ears along with his life.

“What is it?” Taekwoon tried to remain pokerfaced. He already had a clue and how he wished that it was not true or it was seriously going to be the end of him. As if to make everything scarier for him, Wonshik’s loud yet deep snores served as the drum rolls in the background.

“Oh, what a nice sound effect.” Hakyeon even had the guts to comment.

“The case is…” Sanghyuk visibly gulped, not knowing how to say it. “We cannot find the keys for the handcuff. We’re so sorry Taekwoon hyung!” He bowed immediately so that Taekwoon would spare his life. Taekwoon was quiet, not knowing what he was supposed to do next, even Hakyeon was quiet.

Hakyeon gasped, remembering something. “Oh! I almost forgot, I know how to unlock a handcuff!”


Author's Note: 

Have you guys seen VIXX's new MV? Watch it if you haven't, it's awesome. The choreography is awesome too! My next update may or may not come next week depending on the comments and my schedule. School's a bit hassle right now. ^^

Special thanks to all those who commented. And to those who upvoted, marlia91, LeeJi98, Karenkitty1092, Taotic, Sweatervest_Suho, hongbeann, love_kris, Hala-bear and Zhuchu thank you so much! It means a lot to me.