Ex-boyfriend

Savoured By You

 I keep my head low as soon as I step out of the elevator. I bow 90 degree still anxious to look up at his face. 

"Come, this way," he says gruffly and walks in front of me.

I follow him. We walk through the path in the long hallway. When we reach the entrance to his office, he stops. 

"Cancel the meeting at 12 o'clock," he speaks to a well-dressed girl at the reception. She looks at him and next to me looking fluster. 

"Yes, sir," she says politely.

"You okay with coffee?" he asks me. 

"Yes, I am fine with coffee," I say shakily. I peek up at him through my eye lashes. He looks handsome as hell except from the creased brows. He looks as if he had eaten a sour lemon. 

~You are dead~ My inner-self snarls. I wish I could turn back time. 

"Two cups of coffee then," he commands to that girl strictly. She answers with a nervous nod. 

~Jeez.. he looks so controlling~ I wonder if everyone in this company feels nervous as much as her and me in front of him. He has the power to intimidate people, I think.

While I am again possessed in myself, he abruptly takes my hand and leads me to the double entrance doors of his office. ~What the...~ The two girls in the reception eye me with a suspicious look. ~Haven't they seen their boss with a woman before?~ I ask myself.

He opens the double door and ushers me in. I am gaped by how clean and modern and large his office is. His office might be double size bigger than my apartment. Floor to ceilings are all covered in white. And the glass windows. And the meeting table which can fit about 10 people. Beside the double entrance doors stands the two small garden crotons planted in the old traditional pots.

He lets go of my hand and walks towards his office desk. 

"Please come and sit here," he points to the black leather sofa in front of him. I walk with a trembling motion and sit silently.

He also comes and sits on the sofa adjacent to me. He doesn't speak any words. I can feel him staring at me. His one hand drumming on the arm of the sofa and his intent gaze makes me weary. I stare down at my sweaty fingers. The atmosphere between us, in this office is so dreadful. Seconds pass. The anxiety filling in my head that I want to explode. 

"I am sorry," my voice only audible for him.

"Sorry for what?"

"For everything. About last night. About the troubles I caused you. And....," I trail of, "for punching you."

He doesn't say a word. But he just stares at me with Go-On look.

"I didn't mean to punch you. It is just... umm... I was too drunk. I have never been this drunk before. And... and that tough guy threatening still left in my mind that I thought you as him and punched you hard. I am sorry."

I stare at him with mournful eyes waiting for his answer. But he stays mute. ~That is not a good thing.~ My inner-self warns me. Yeah... true enough. He looks so intimidating. Completely different look from the first time I met him. I am 100% sure I am going to get fire.

"Are you going to fire me?" I blurt out.

He frowns and rubs his chin with his index finger. He rests back and twins his fingers.  

"Who says I am going to fire you?" he says after a second.

"Isn't that the reason why you call me up here?" I say. My face turning mong. 

He smirks. At that time, the doors open and the girl at the reception I saw earlier comes in with a tray with two cups in it. She puts the cup down on the glass table in front of us. And she steps back, bows and she is gone. 

"Why did you run away from me this morning?" he asks sipping his coffee.

This morning?  "I was afraid and too shy to face you. And I was frightened that you might fire me when you saw me."

"I see. Drink," he says sternly.

What is his problem? Is he like that towards all his co-workers? And he expects me to drink coffee when my stomach is craving for lunch? ~You said you are okay with coffee.~ My inner-self tells me. Yeah.. I should have tell I would like some heavy food. I chuckle at my own thought.

"Something amusing you?" 

"No, it is nothing," I straighten trying to act normal again. "So I am not going to be fired?"

"That has never been in my mind. I would be more than happy to see you working in my company," he says.

"Because I want to keep my eyes on you," he leans forward and whispers in a tone that I find attractive. What does it mean? But instead, I am temporarily mesmerized by his beauty. He looks so flawless. He may look like an angry bird boss sometime, but I can see sadness in his eyes too. Wait, why am I trying to read his face? 

"You are so confusing," I say straightly. He dazes and seems like it is the first time he have heard the words. 

Then the opening of the double doors disturbs us. The other girl from the reception comes in with queasy steps towards us.

"Sir, Manager. Choi Jin Hyuk from IT department asks permission to meet you. He says he wants to discuss you about the new product."

I look blankly at her. ~Did she just say Choi Jin Hyuk? Jin Hyuk? The one I knew?~ No, he can't be. No... Relax~ My inner-self encourages me.

When I look back at the breath-taking beautiful man, he looks like an angry- bird boss again. I peek at my watch and it says 12:20. Oh no! I only have half hour for lunch time and my lunch time is occupied by the questions and answers.

"I think I have to go, sir. My lunch time is almost over," I stand immediately. His jaw tenses and his brows creases. 

"I will see you out."

When we are out from his office, I glance at the reception and I am stunned from seeing a man I had known. ~It is really him!~ My inner-self faints. Him, my ex-boyfriend, Jin Hyuk. He also seems shock to see me whom he left four years ago. He stands there rooted to the ground as I am. 

I don't know how long we stared at each other but when I gain my sense back, I straighten and bow to CEO.Dong Wook. Then I make my way hastily to the elevator not looking back. 


 

I feel relief when the elevator doors close and it descends. I put my hand on my left chest calming my beating hearts.

We have known each other since we were young. We enjoyed each other company. We were good friends. But when we grew older, our feelings changed and we were in love. We were deeply in love, like love-sick people. We even promised to build our life together. But... when he decided to live in Seoul while I couldn't, he told me to wait for him. And I did as he told. Not long after his departure, he called me to end our relationship. My heart was broken. I cried. And gradually my love turned into hate. He left me because he found someone. Starting from that time, I avoided every thing concern him. I always wish not to meet up with him again. But now, my wish is not fullfilled.

I close my eyes as pain from the past appears again radiating from my heart. I can't stand these things. Now we will probably meet up often because we are working under the same root. I don't want to face him. I know I will see the wounded memories again.

When the elevator reach my department's floor, I run directly to the restroom and lock myself in one room. Tears flow unwelcome from my eyes. I weep quietly not because I miss him. But because of the appearance of  the anguished feelings that were forgetfully stored in one part of my brain. 

I whip my tears.~I have to be strong. I have to prove myself that I am not the same gormless person he knew.~

I go to my desk and let out a long sighn gathering my scattered present selfs and putting the past pains aside. I even forget to eat! But I resume my work ignoring the fact that I have to eat. 


 

It is already half past five when I finish my work. I stretch out feeling at ease. The earlier annoying past pains forgotten. I grab my purse and my coat, wave goodbye to Jo In Sung and leave the company. 

I am now heading to the bus stop among the crowd of busy employees.

I recall back the memory of my first day of work. Handsome manager, the man who helped me and who got a punch from me turned out to be A CEO, the questions and answers, and Ex-boyfriend! A great deal of unexpected things happenened today.

"Jihyo ah!" 

I hear a voice that used to call my name and it sends shivers to me.

I swallow hard and look around. 

"Hey, Jin Hyuk."

"I am searching for you. And when I saw you leaving the company, I run to catch you. How nice is it to meet you here!" he says breathlessly.

"Yeah, didn't think we would meet up like this," I say cooly. Actually I am not really please to see you! I glare him internally.

"How long have you been in Seoul?"

"Umm... about a month."

"Do you work here?" he asks. His eyes glittering. He is wearing a suit and a black coat over it. He looks as his usual stylish self.

"Yeah. It is my first day at work."

"You look lovely and prettier," he says eyeing me from from tip to toe. I am wearing my blue jeans and a grey sweater. How the hell he think I look lovely in this outfit!

"You too," I say as I can't think of anything else to say.

"Lets go for a dinner together. Like reunion?" 

What? Hell... Reunion?~ No... I don't want to have dinner with you!~ My inner-self glowers at him. How am I going to avoid this? But then... a black SUV stops at the sidewalk and lee dong wook gets out off it. He walks towards us startling me and Jin Hyuk. 

"Jihyo-ssi, may I ask you out for dinner tonight?"

He is asking me to dinner too? I glance at Jin Hyuk who is passively staring at dong wook. 

I am now between the two men: one who was once my exboyfriend and one whom I feel attracted to whenever I see him. It is so confusing.

What am I going to do!!!!!!!