chapter 02

You and I

Mingyu widened his eyes after he heard what Solbin had just said. “P-pregnant?” he stuttered in response as he frowned confusedly at Solbin. Solbin nodded weakly, still sobbing. Mingyu felt a pang in his heart then he slowly reached out his hand to touch Solbin’s stomach and caressed it softly. “But I can’t feel a bump…”

“It’s still young,” cut Solbin. “The doctor said it’s been two months.”

“Who’s its father?” asked Mingyu with his hand still on Solbin’s stomach.

“It’s Jun,” Solbin answered. “He doesn’t want to take the responsibility and that’s why I wanted to end my life.” Her shoulder started to tremble again as the tears dropped onto her cheeks again. “I don’t know what to do with my life after I know I have this,” she put her hand on Mingyu’s hand that was still on her stomach then she looked at him with her red wet eyes. “I want to die, Mingyu yah.”

“Don’t!” Mingyu shouted firmly as he shook his head. He grabbed Solbin’s hand that was on his tightly and looked at her eyes fixedly.

“Then what should I do?!” asked Solbin with frustration. “Tell me what I should do!”

Mingyu pulled Solbin into his arms then patted her back softly while the girl was a sobbing mess on his chest. It was really a hearbreaking to see Solbin like that for Mingyu. He wanted to help her. But how? He could not figure it out yet. “Hey, let’s go to your house first, hm?” suggested Mingyu. “You have to be calm before we make a plan what we will do next.”

Solbin pulled away from Mingyu. She was still sobbing when she looked at him confusedly. “We?” she repeated.

Mingyu nodded. “We,” he repeated. “I’m going to help you out of this problem.”

Solbin’s eyes widened in surprise. She never expected to hear those words from Mingyu, her new friend that she had just known for a month. “B-but… you don’t have to… this is not your fault!”

“I know,” said Mingyu calmly. “Just let me help you, okay?”

Solbin was silent for a while as she looked at Mingyu with confusion. After she found sincerity in his eyes, she nodded timidly.

“Good!” Mingyu exclaimed as he stood up. “Come on! Let’s go home!” he extended his hand to be held by Solbin.

Solbin reached for Mingyu’s hand and then she was lifted up by him. When she was about to walk, she fell instantly and groaned in pain. Fortunately, Mingyu had caught her body before she could fell on the ground. By then, Solbin just figure out that she had serious wounds on her feet because of her falling after Mingyu saved her from suicide.

“You can’t walk?” asked Mingyu worriedly.

Solbin nodded with her face scrunched up in pain. “My feets hurt,” she said.

Without saying any word, Mingyu squatted down in front of Solbin who was just looking at him in puzzle. “What are you doing?”

“Get on me!” said Mingyu as he patted his back.

“What?”

“You can’t walk, okay? So, I’m going to give you a piggy-back ride,” explained Mingyu.

“But my house is…”

“It’s not that far,” cut Mingyu, “and I bet you’re not heavy so I think I can bear with it. Come on! Don’t waste time~”

Solbin could not believe what had happened with her yet as Mingyu took her to home on his back. She was so embarrassed of course that she hid her face on his shoulder, avoiding people’s eyes who gave judging looks at them, while wrapping her arms around his neck tightly.

 

***

 

Mingyu put Solbin on the couch after they arrived at Solbin’s house that was an apartment she shared with her friend. Both of them did not talk during their way to the house and still did not as Mingyu went to the kitchen to make a warm honey tea for Solbin. When he came up to Solbin, the girl gave him a faint smile. The first smile Mingyu saw that day. “It’s should be me who serves you a tea, you know?” said Solbin weakly after she accepted the tea from Mingyu.

“Nah, it’s okay,” shhrugged Mingyu then he sat next to Solbin. He looked at her attentively as she drank the tea slowly. “How does it taste?” he asked after Solbin took the tea on the table.

“It’s good,” said Solbin. “Better than mine honestly.” She chuckled. Mingyu smiled happily to see Solbin chuckling as if she had forgot her problem.

“Feel better?”

Solbin nodded then she let out a heavy sigh. “Just a bit. Thanks anyway.”

“By the way, we have to take care of your wounds…”

“No more we,” cut Solbin. “That’s my responsibility, Kim Mingyu.”

“But I just want to help,” said Mingyu in disappointment.

“You’ve helped me a lot today.”

“Okay…” Mingyu was silent after that and so was Solbin. They did not know what to talk and were busy with their own thoughts until Mingyu cleared his throat to catch Solbin’s attention. “It’s okay if we talk about your pregnancy?” he asked carefully. “Don’t force yourself if you don’t want to…”

“It’s okay,” said Solbin weakly. “I feel much better now.”

“Alright,” said Mingyu. He paused for a while to get some good words. “You’re pregnant then Jun doesn’t want to take a responsibility which makes you want to commit suicide, right?” Solbin nodded. “So, the problem is…”

“I’m ashamed for beig pregnant without a husband,” cut Solbin weakly as she looked at her hands on her lap. “We’re living in a conservative enviroment. People will mock at me because I’m pregnant without a husband. And my parents will be mad at me if they find it out. I can’t stand it, Mingyu,” she explained. “And what I hate most is this is my fault! I’m so stupid for letting myself pregnant.”

“You might know it’d be happening though at the first time you… mmm… sleep with Jun.”

Solbin shook her head. “I really didn’t think it’d be happening,” she said as she looked at Mingyu. “We only did it once and we were drunk at that time. It felt like a dream, you know?”

“Hey, wait!” shouted Mingyu. “You said the baby’s two months already?” Solbin nodded. “But you two just broke up a month ago! He might know it’d be happening. He could feel you’d be pregnant someday so he broke up with you.”

“No way!” Solbin shouted.

“It’s possible, you know!” exclaimed Mingyu. “And stop defending him that much! He’s a jerk! I want to puch his face so bad.” He clenched his hands into fists as his face reddened with anger.

“I… I don’t know…” said Solbin with frustration. “Now what should I do?”

Mingyu was silent for a while as he looked at Solbin’s face. He had an idea and he had thought about it thoroughly but he did not know if the girl would agree it or not. He thought his idea was the one and only way to solve the problem. “You’re ashamed for being pregnant without a husband, right?”

Solbin nodded weakly in response.

Mingyu then took a deep breath and let it out slowly before he said, “So, let me marry you!”

 

***