Chapter 13: Responsibility

Forbidden Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejeong shrugged her shoulders lightly, trying to lift Seolhyun’s weight off her. They had been stuck in that position for roughly 5 minutes since Seolhyun’s outburst, but the ride was nearing its end, and she really didn’t want the world to see the position they were in, and the misunderstandings it would create.

Seolhyun groaned, and lifted her head up. Her eyes were still red, with some tear drops still lingering in her eyes. The majority of it, however, pooled in a damp spot on the part of Hyejeong’s shirt covering her torso. Noticing Seolhyun staring at it somewhat apologetically, Hyejeong ruffled Seolhyun’s hair and told her it was fine. “We’re gonna get off soon. Try to make yourself as presentable as possible, otherwise people might think that a 20 year old like you is still afraid of heights,” Hyejeong commented.

Seolhyun pouted cutely, rubbing her eyes with both hands to reduce the dampness. “Are my eyes red?” Seolhyun asked, shifting her weight from side to side. Hyejeong’s nod halted the shifting, and resulted in Seolhyun drooping her head. “People are really going to think that I’m scared off a Ferris Wheel now,” she mumbled in a tiny voice.

Hyejeong just grinned again. Just then, the door to their cabin opened. Helping Seolhyun up (her legs were still like jelly, weak from the crying), Hyejeong assisted Seolhyun off the cabin. “You sure you are fit for the roller coaster?” asked Hyejeong with a laugh, seeing Seolhyun almost collapse once Hyejeong removed her support for a second.

Seolhyun looked at Hyejeong, and nodded weakly. “I got this…covered,” she said softly, her feet lurching a step forward.

“Then walk by yourself,” Hyejeong replied, suiting her action to the word gently pushing the shorter away. Seolhyun stumbled a few steps like a drunkard, before finally summoning some strength from somewhere to keep her legs firmly on the ground. She felt as if she was walking on quicksand; being thrown from one part of the ground to another. “We wouldn’t want people to think we’re dating. It’s kind of a taboo here,” Hyejeong continued, ensuring that Seolhyun could actually walk by herself before proceeding on. The queue at the roller coaster looked horribly long, and Hyejeong wasn’t really sure if they could get on the ride before their self-imposed end-time arrived.

Right, thought Seolhyun to herself. We aren’t dating. Because it’s a taboo. How could I have let that slip my mind.

She took a few tentative, larger steps, before dashing forward to catch up with the tallest. She got it covered, all right.

-----

“You promised not to barf!” warned Hyejeong, shouting over the nervous hollers of the others on their ride. They had completed the ascent, and the sharp climbs and falls were just about to come.

“I’m skilled in this!” shouted back Seolhyun, defiantly, having absolutely no confidence in her skills at all. Oh well. She was sitting right at the edge, anyway, so she would just have to find the energy to turn her head and vomit at the right place, over the carriage and on the head of some poor customer.

Seconds later, and Seolhyun found herself alternating between screaming liker her life depended on it, nervously choking back some vomit she felt rising up , and clutching for dear life onto the sleeve of Hyejeong’s shirt. “So much for having it covered, eh?” commented Hyejeong, amused at Seolhyun’s timidity.

Seolhyun opened to defend herself, felt some more vomit creep up , and decided to shut up.

-----

“So, Ms-I-Have-It-Covered,” Hyejeong began snarkily after both of them descended the roller coaster, “how was the ride? Easy right?”

Seolhyun’s legs wobbled as she ventured to take a step forward, her arms desperately clutched to Hyejeong’s shirt. “Help…help me to the toilet. Qu…quick, if you…want to save your…shirt,” Seolhyun stuttered, her face contorting and creasing, displaying her efforts to avoid wreck

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter