{ 35 } F O R T H C O M I N G

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirty Five

Pyeongchang

“Do you still want to continue with the rest of today’s schedule, your highness?” asked Secretary Kim.

“Yes, I’m okay now,” I answered as I was being dressed by Ms. Hwang. This time around, I still had the same dress on, but we ditched the hat and instead a white furry coat, similar to the one I wore yesterday, was layered above my dress. My hair was pinned by feather-like ornaments supposed to imitate a swan and then my makeup was freshened up a bit. 

“It kind of ruins the mythical swan theme of the dress but since it helps you keep warm, this’ll do,” said she. 

“I’m so sorry, Ms. Hwang,” I chuckled lightly. 

“Your health come’s first, your highness,” said she with a graceful curtsy. 

“Alright, brief me, unnie,” I told my personal secretary and she nodded happily. 

“This lunch was personally requested by the mayor of Pyeongchang himself, and although it would be very simple I’m pretty sure her highness would have a glimpse of how normal life usually is in the country,” said she. “Although the venue of this schedule was suddenly changed to the old ancestral house of the Im’s near the frozen lakes, instead of the original designated location which was a hotel, there should be no problems with logistics. We made all the necessary changes and the security team is already in the area along with the ROK Army.”

“The Royal Guard is waiting for you, your highness,” said Kang ahjussi. 

I nodded. “Let’s go then.”

We travelled by land in order to get to the said location. On our way, I saw many people still lining up the streets and waving flags with the Royal emblem on them. This morning’s celebration was far from over for them. I waved back through the clear-tinted windows of the car. 

“It’s so cold outside though,” I said softly. 

“These people are used to the climate here in Pyeongchang, your highness,” answered Soojin unnie. 

The trip remained silent until we reached our destination. As I climbed out of my Rolls Royce, the scene that awaits me unfolded like a painting. The Im ancestral home is a large traditional house, with a patio that extends up to the frozen lake, overlooking the mountains. The lake looked like a scene right out of the movie. The ice glared bright against the rays of the sun, reflecting the heaven and horizons, hence it looked like there were two skies. 

“When the mayor said that the banquet will be simple, I think he was just being humble, Soojin unnie,” I told her, and she merely nodded with a suppressed smile. 

As I walked, my long coat dragged behind me and against the snow. One by one, my entire entourage filed behind me. We were welcomed by the old couple, Mayor Im and his wife, into their home. They had a few servants, but I saw no children around. 

We were then escorted to the terrace by the frozen lake where, indeed, a simple banquet was prepared for us. I took my seat in a traditional royal cushion complete with embroidery of my emblem of a silver four-toed dragon as the heir presumptive to the Korean Throne, while the couple sat before me in square pillows. 

“Thank you very much for granting our request, Wangsejabin mama,” the two greeted and bowed down deeply. 

“It is my honor to be invited into your lovely home,” I answered with a gentle smile. 

We began the lunch and as per protocol, two of my lady’s maids have to taste the food first before serving it to me. For a while, we were only bathe in silence. I observed the man and wife, and they seemed pretty uneasy. Though I don’t really understand why since they invited me into their home, they ought to expect that protocol should extend towards them. 

I continued to eat in silence while keeping my keen eye on the two. No, it’s not that they were uncomfortable with me around, it’s more like they feel uneasy because they have something to say and yet now that I’m here amongst my staff, they found out that they can’t actually freely converse with me. 

“Ladies,” I told the staff who were tasting the food served to me, “leave us for a while.”

They looked at each other before reluctantly answering, “Yes, your highness.” The mayor and his wife looked surprised. 

“Mama,” said Soojin unnie, “we mustn’t deviate from protocol.”

“I know, Secretary Kim,” I answered, “I won’t touch my food until they return. Please, allow us some privacy too. I think the mayor and the lady of this household has something to say, yet they feel uneasy with a lot of people listening.”

Unnie took a while before answering, “As you wish, your highness.”

My entire staff slowly vacated the patio and retreated inside the house, giving us ample amount of space to talk in privacy without any prying ears. 

“I hope you feel more comfortable now, Mayor Im, ma’am,” I gestured towards them. 

“We didn’t expect you would notice, your highness,” answered the man, “thank you very much for your kind consideration.”

“Please, go ahead, I feel like there is something you would like to tell me,” said I.

“Well … there is one thing, your highness,” continued the man, “but first of all, I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude for choosing Pyeongchang as the recipient of the royal grant which allowed us further industrialization and development in our city.” Then he bowed deeply once again. 

“I lead the women’s association here in our city, your highness, and the grant has allowed a lot of individuals, men and women, to find employment or means of living. We are truly indebted to the Crown, your highness,” said the woman who also bowed likewise. 

“It is only the duty of the Crown to help its people,” I answered and told them to rise. “But, I have a feeling that this is not the matter you would like to speak to me.”

“No, it’s not, your highness,” answered the mayor. “The grant was awarded to the city with the purest of intentions. That was how we were able to rehabilitate our roads and bridges, build more infrastructures and provide employment to our people. Yet, it also came with its own … baggage. The national government has expected for Pyeongchang to turn profits that would amount to the grant awarded to us. People from the higher ups are expecting revenue from our small city, given a lot was spent on it.”

“Are you saying that the Crown is asking the money back?” I asked, quite appalled. 

“No, your highness,” answered the wife this time. “The Royal Grant is a form of investment by the Monarchy, with the approval of Parliament. It’s not in the same nature as a bank loan or a foreign investment that needs to be repaid in due time, but it requires for the city to increase its annual GDP the moment the grant is spent.”

“And we are unable to do so at the present time,” added the mayor. “After the contractors left the city and finished building the infrastructures, many of our people were left unemployed. They built facilities that are meant to boost tourism in the city but the number of tourists that visit Pyeongchang only increased minimally since the construction had finished.”

“We did tourism campaigns for our alpine and cross-country skiing attractions, as well as snowboarding and even figure skating but none seemed to work well,” said the wife. 

“One of the reasons why people are not visiting Pyeongchang is because everything we have to offer here can be easily found in Seoul, if not, the attractions that we have are not really that popular in Korea. Our city is quite far and not very famous, no one would want to visit it. So, we feel like we were given the grant only to shoulder a burden we never expected,” said the mayor. 

“The people are becoming restless since unemployment rate is slowly rising. I’m afraid the nature of the Royal Grant is quite cruel, your highness,” she dared say, “we recently received a notice from the national government that if we don’t turn profits then they would levy heavier taxes upon our people.”

“Because the grant must be repaid through income,” I concluded, “it must be recycled for in the next budget cycle, it shall be awarded once again to a different city, corporation, initiative, or foundation. If expected income is less or a mere breakeven, then a temporary taxation comes into picture until the funds are replenished.” 

The three of us fell into silence. 

“I didn’t know the process of how the grant has landed onto Pyeongchang,” I answered honestly, “it is not in my jurisdiction to attend Parliament proceedings or even be a spectator of one.” Heck, I can’t even visit the Royal Archives to see past and existing grants. “I do not wield any political power as the Crown has yet to sit on my head. I only have my influence as the Crown Princess and that is all. I’d like to ask one question though, it is Pyeongchang’s initiative to propose these kinds of projects, am I correct?”

“Yes, your highness,” answered the mayor, “though we had to reshape the plan a couple of times in order to fit the demands and criteria of Parliament. They were very keen that we must follow all rules and we were being regulated tightly and regularly just to ensure that the funds are not being misappropriated. Our city complied with all of those but then after construction is finished, they all just left. We have the facilities and the people to man them, but we weren’t given any help in terms of promotion.”

“If so, why haven’t you requested an audience with the King? If one, the Monarchy is good in attracting press attention.”

“We have tried, your highness, but we were always declined,” answered the wife. 

“What? Who’s preventing you from seeing the King?” I asked, once again baffled. 

“The thing is, your highness, we only get to meet His Majesty during the awarding of the Royal Grant,” answered Mayor Im, “afterwards, the Office of the King has nothing to do with it since the one that handles budget disbursements and appropriations is Parliament the very moment the grant has been given. Whenever we request an audience with the King, we were always told that we should go through Parliament first, and then Parliament refuses since in nature, His Majesty is said to have no more jurisdiction over the grant.”

“A mere figurehead,” I softly whispered, dejected. “And how many months has it been since the grant has been spent?” I asked. 

“Well over a year now, your highness,” answered the wife. 

“So, the grant has already been recycled, thus the need to levy more tax to your people,” said I. And I happen to know who received it this year, the joint initiative by Jeon Industries and Kang Corporation, but there’s gotta be more to this. 

“From our side, your highness,” said the mayor, “we simply ask more time and further assistance, not even monetary, in order to make use of the infrastructure built using the Royal Grant. We really hope you can help us. Actually, just you, visiting Pyeongchang, is already more than enough help, but here I am, daring to ask for more. Please, your highness,” then he made the great bow, his face low enough to be levelled in the floor.

“Please, your highness,” asked the wife once again. 

I exhaled deeply, brows creasing in deep thought. “We need to discuss this further and in a more formal set up, I would prefer. But for now … I think I know how I can help you,” I answered to the delight of the old couple. 

A few hours later…

“Excuse me, your highness, but I don’t quite follow?” asked Secretary Kim as my entire team gathered in the cabin of the train that served as our briefing area. 

“Goodness, I have to prepare the clothes then a-and the footwear and—it’s snowing here! I don’t just have to prepare clothes, we need winter clothes!” said Ms. Hang in quite the frenzy. 

“Not to mention, you are not feeling well, your highness,” said Hansol. 

I understand all of their concerns, but I had my mind set on helping the city of Pyeongchang. 

“Ms. Kang, are we equipped and ready for what I asked?” I turned towards the resident photographer of the tour. 

“Y-yes, your highness, but would you be alright doing this? I-I mean, your health always comes first,” answered she. 

I smiled brightly, determined to fulfill my goal. “It is my duty, and besides, it’s going to be fun! On top of it, I will be able to help the people in this city.”

“Then I shall organize the security team hastily,” said Kang ahjussi. 

“Thank you,” I said with much gratitude. 

Soojin unnie could only sigh, “Alright then, we’ll make the necessary preparations, your highness.”

I smiled in delight. Team Yeona sure is the best!

 

Gangneung 

Before Parliament decides where or who to award the Monarch’s Royal Grant, a special appropriations committee had to assess first if the project proposed was attainable, de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter