{ 34 } S N O W

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirty Four

Gwandong 

I was still aboard Korea I, my schedule pushed back by a few after the sudden uproar in the hotel conference room. I was advised by Hansol ssi to take it easy and rest for a bit before we proceed with the day and I figured I was not in the place to argue. 

“Do you still have trouble breathing?” he asked as he held my hand and took my pulse. 

I shook my head gently. “It didn’t trigger by my asthma, Hansol ssi, I was just overwhelmed.”

“Which could trigger symptoms of asthma,” he added, brows creased in worry and concentration. “Don’t worry, your highness, my father will be on top of your condition. If anything, he could be with you within half an hour.”

“That’s very reassuring but I’m okay now,” I answered with a smile, “seriously, the media never gives me a break. No matter how careful we are they always find a way to toy with us, it’s really getting on my nerves.”

A sudden knock in the door of my cabin interrupted our conversation. I allowed the person entry and it seemed to be Soojin unnie. 

“It’s Youngho Doryeonim, your highness,” said she while holding the telephone, a secure line established between me and oppa. 

I let out an audible sigh. “Thank you, Hansol ssi,” I nodded at him, signaling his dismissal, “thanks, unnie,” then I received the phone. I was left alone inside my cabin for my own privacy. 

“Oppa,” I answered, holding the telephone close to my ear. 

“Are you okay?” he asked, worry evident in his voice. 

“I’m fine, but more importantly, how are you?” I asked, more concerned about his situation. 

“Hansol called and told me you had a short episode after a media frenzy in your press conference,” said he, completely ignoring what I just said. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

He didn’t really have to tell oppa, but what is done may never be undone. “I’m fine, oppa, really. I just got caught up with the mob and Kang ahjussi had to practically squeeze me out from that scene, which by the way, happens almost every time. This is nothing new to me.”

He exhaled audibly. “I swear to god, some people just don’t know when they’re not allowed to cross the line,” said he. 

I smiled. “This is the life that I had to endure, oppa, the media is both a curse and blessing that I must deal with. Are you still being bothered by them?”

“Well, they’re constantly still on my trail, I don’t really know what they’ll get though. My life isn’t really that newsworthy,” answered he. 

“Every bit of information that they could get is already newsworthy enough the moment you started seeing me, oppa,” I chuckled softly. “I hope you don’t regret your decisions?”

“Never in a million years,” he chuckled as well. “I’m still worried for you though. There are a lot of royals who perished in the hands of the press, one way or another. Princess Di, for instance, is a very notable example.”

“I know, that’s why we’re going to be more cautious from now on. You should too … in fact, I’ll talk to Agent Oh. If need be we’ll tighten your security. If they can’t get anything from us, then you’re the next target.”

“Don’t worry about me,” said he, “soon enough they’ll lose interest in my boring existence.”

“Your life is the least bit boring. Still, I think it’s best if you refrain from driving, at least for now,” I held my arm as I began to pace around the room, “when it comes to car chases, the press is known to have unparalleled ferocity.”

“Then they better try catching me in my R8,” said he, and I could already tell he had that gorgeous smirk on his face. 

“Oppa,” I pouted. 

“I’m just teasing you, princess. You sound so stressed.”

I sighed aloud once again. “I’m fine.” I tried to sound as convincing as I could. 

“But I’m not though,” he answered, which suddenly made me concerned.

“I’m so sorry, oppa, I’ll tell Agent Oh to—”

“Not that way,” said he, and it was as if his deep voice turned down a pitch lower, “I meant I’m not okay because I miss you.”

I smiled sheepishly, my cheeks slowly getting flushed. “Really?” I decided to a bit.

“Really,” answered he, willingly surrendering in my game, “I miss hearing your laughter, seeing you smile, causing your cheeks to redden, tangled up in embarrassment,” he was chuckling, “I miss your warmth, your kisses, and that cute way you unknowingly gaze at anything that peaks your attention. I miss you so much.”

I couldn’t even contain my smile as my heart kick started its furious throbbing in my chest. I could only giggle like a love-sick fool, as I fell into my bed and rolled against my sheets. 

“There goes a smile,” said he delightedly.

“You’re just too cheesy, oppa,” I said, entrapping my lower lip in between my teeth.  

“Only for you, beautiful,” he said, and I knew I was done for. 

“Oh my gosh, will you stop your greasy antics, it’s making my toes curl.”

“Oh, I could do more than that, princess, and you know it,” he said deeply. He was enjoying this as much as I shameless do. 

“Okay stop,” I said, “I need to get on with work.”

“Alright, I need to get back to the hospital anyway,” said he, finally back to his normal self. 

“Okay,” I only answered, waiting for him to say more and quite probably still teasing him. 

“Just okay?” he asked, willingly giving in. 

“What do you want me to say?” I continued to giggle. 

“I don’t know, princess, I don’t know,” he too was chuckling. 

“Arasso,” I cave in as well, “I love you.” I softly whispered. 

“I love you more,” said he, which caused my insides to flutter. 

“I have to go now,” I couldn’t seem to drag this conversation any longer, no matter how much I wanted to. 

“Take care always,” answered he, “dress warmly and don’t get sick.”

“Yes, oppa, I’ll be a good girl.”

“Bye.”

“Goodbye.”

The line ended, and my little cabin fell into silence. I rolled over facing up, clutching the phone to my chest as I closed my eyes and imagined oppa’s arms and warmth were around me. I can do this. 

The temple visit went about peacefully. All the monks were very delighted that I chose to make a stop at their shrine and pay some respects. The entire ceremony was solemn, and I took my time saying my silent prayers. I prayed for the safety and health of my parents, for a brighter and better future for the monarchy, and for my country and people to continue to prosper.  

Afterward I was given some alone time with the monks who offered their own personal prayers for me. I walked out of that temple feeling so much better and lighter. No matter the challenges that I will face, I know everything’s going to be okay. 

Right outside the shrine, many spectators were waiting. As per schedule, I met and shook hands with a lot of them, receiving even more flowers and well wishes. I took off my white satin gloves as I walked down the lane wearing a white, open cutwork satin dress, with off-the-shoulder wide collar and flared skirt. The laser cuttings on the fabric made to look like flowers. My hair was put on a bun this time which held a simple diamond tiara. 

Halfway down the lane, I met a little girl who was clinging to her father’s neck as she tried to extend a flower to me. I tried to reach for it, while at the same time patting her little head. She squealed with delight and I even elicited a soft laugh seeing her reaction. Well, I could endure any kind of criticisms from rude reporters so long as I get to witness these precious moments. All these people are rooting for me, which gives me no excuse to fail. 

Around 3 PM the program at Gwandong ended on a good note. There wasn’t any time to lose and we were on the move again, to Nami Island where I would meet the press once more. This time around though, they will not be allowed to ask any questions, just take a few photos and then they should be ferried out of the island. 

Nami Island 

While inside the yacht, my stylist team dressed me up once again into the third outfit of the day, which was an ivory tulle dress, with pastel and metallic thread-work embroidery, and pale grey and ice blue silk organza on the layered bustier top. They had a pale lavender furry coat prepared just in case I get cold in the evening. It fastens with a metallic embellishment that bared the coat of arms of the Royal Family. 

The boat ride didn’t take too long, and we reached Nami Island in no time where the reporters are already waiting for us. Kang ahjussi escorted me down the yacht and into the venue of the photo op which was among the ethereal-like trees of the island woods. 

“Right, your highness,” said Ms. Kang Jihee, the royal photographer on tour, “please be comfortable of the shoot, it shall be done in complete silence as the members of the press owe you this much for ruining the conference a while ago.”

“Yes, your highness,” added Mr. Baek, the media spokesperson, “Just walk comfortably around the trees and rest assured no one will bother you.”

“We will be standing close by, just in case something happens,” added Kang ahjussi. 

“Okay, thank you very much,” I answered with a smile and let go of ahjussi’s arm. 

As per instructed I just walked around the trees while cameras followed me like a persistent shadow. In the peaceful environment, each shutter reverberated all over the vast expanse. I looked at the photographers taking pictures and most of them were very young men. 

I flashed them a kind smile, which almost turned into a giggle as all of them turned beet red at the same time. I faced forward once more and continued strolling. At some point, Lord Snow was brought in and we both starred in the photoshoot together. He was very photogenic of course, loving the attention that he was receiving. 

As the sun went down, the atmosphere slowly went chilly. I was given the furry coat for some warmth and the photo op continued to progress. 

I found a bench surrounded by flowers and figured I better rest before I develop blisters.

“Can we sit down right here?” I asked Secretary Kim not from afar and she quietly nodded her head. I picked up Lord Snow who was charmingly trailing by my side and we both sat at the bench. The photographers took the chance immediately and snapped even more photos. 

I turned my gaze towards their direction once more and it’s as if their fingers froze for all shutters ceased to sound. They turned beet red once again and I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter