{ 12.2 } G R A V I T Y

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Twelve (Pt. 2)   It was a little pass ten o’clock in the morning but the sky had enough clouds to serve as veiling from the blaring brightness of the sun. When Ten invited me for tea a little while ago, I was expecting a traditional setting probably in the garden of orchids but he surprised me, once again, when he showed up carrying two venti-sized Starbucks cups of iced matcha. Where he got them or how in the world he produced them in this island, I had no idea. I simply smiled upon the sight of him as he offered me the refreshment and I gladly accepted as I, myself, is a big fan of matcha green tea.   “You never fail to surprise me, Ten.” I told him as he led us to a relaxing stroll in the seashore. The smell of the sea breeze was refreshing and the awkward atmosphere that I was expecting was nowhere to be found. I could say I am more than grateful that he arranged for our little meet up to be as so. The two of us indeed felt more relax away from the formalities and protocols of the palace, I guess it’s one of the plenty commonalities that we posses as future monarchs but of different kingdoms.   “I guess it became a habit.” He answered, sipping through his drink. “Life could be boring without you actually living it, so I decided to make most out of it and live each moment as if it would be my last.”   “I envy your way life.” I mumbled in reply and quietly enjoyed the tasty drink.   “Even so it could merely be my façade. Of all people in this world, I know you would be the best to understand what really lies behind and beneath our titles and crown.” Said he.   “Indeed, a throne is the loneliest seat in this world.” I answered. “Or at least that’s what my grandfather said.”   “Your old man is a wise man.” Said Ten as he halted our stroll below a tree that seemed to have grown wanting to reach the ocean. It had leaned so far and low that some of its branches are already touching the sand. “Do you mind if we sit down?” asked he, offering his hand for me.   “Not at all.” I answered, accepting his and he helped me settle on top of a bending branch. He climbed up beside me and we continued enjoying our tea.   “You should put on your sunglasses.” Said he and I sensed he was stalling.   “Like this?” I followed him nonetheless. “How do I look?”   “Like a cat.” He answered, chuckling.   “So Ten, why are we here?” I decided to be the one to break the beating round the bush and deal whatever business we may need to discuss.   He looked up to the leaves of the tree and the peaking streaks of sunlight before answering, “Will you allow me to defy gravity, Yeona?”   “Pardon?” I answered, blinking, “I can’t seem to follow.”   “If I challenge the impossible, will you allow it?” he asked, still a little vaguely.   “In your way of life, I can’t see why you would be needing my permission for this.” I answered as a matter of fact. “Unless…” and then I trailed.   “Unless it concerns you, in which in this case, it does.” He said, finishing my thoughts.   “How?” I challenged.   “Every kingdom needs a mother and every king needs a queen. I have come to the right age for me to have a woman whom I can be wed to someday. My mother and my father think it’s now time for me to present a consort and I agree. My responsibilities to my country must be fulfilled before any personal desires that I have.” He started.   I could only lower my head upon hearing his confession. “But why me?” I asked softly.   “I guess I want to give you an option.” He continued. “That if ever you have doubts, if ever you are troubled or having a hard time and wanting to break free from the thorns of your crown, I am here to offer you freedom. I know that I am braving the gods for saying these words right now, but if you become my crown princess, I can promise you a life, free from the anxieties of politics and far from the questioning eye of the public. I hope you do not take this as an insult, I only mean good to you.”   I was left speechless, not insulted but moved. I’ve only met this person and yet here he is trying to give me a helping hand and offering me what could probably be the best gift ever presented to any woman in the world.   “In my kingdom, the people cannot disrespect the king and that reflects to the rest of his family. If you take the throne beside me, you will not only find comfort but also peace. But of course, I understand that if you allow me to defy all these odds, it would mean for you to abdicate the throne and …” said he, but I cut him short for I know where he would be leading.   “My cousin can take over, the Korean politicians will have the heir they so wanted and the public will have a reliable king in accordance to culture and tradition.” I finished and once again I felt my innermost insecurities resurging and resurfacing in my heart.   I felt his hand take mine, squeezing it and I saw his eyes searching for my own. “I do not expect an answer right away. I will let you think of it. So long as you feel like getting away from all the troubles you so undeserved, you can come to me. I will be here waiting.”   “But Ten,” I voiced, “I don’t think me, running away, would solve anything. I grew up learning about my duties and responsibilities and one thing that I realized, problems must be faced head on. Only then can they be truly solved. I am deeply moved by your grateful offer, but I’m afraid it is hard for me to even imagine myself defying what you so-called gravity.”   “Is it because of him?” he asked. It took me a while to realize what he actually meant.   “You knew?” I asked cautiously and I felt him retrieving his hand.   “The palace has eyes and ears everywhere, Yeona.” He simply answered and I nodded.   “There is nothing for us to hide, Ten.” I told him. “But as much as possible, we only kept to ourselves so as to maintain privacy. But putting that aside, he may be a reason but my people is a much bigger and heavier reason that I have for me not to abandon my throne. As crown prince and crown princess of our respective countries, the first thing that we learn growing up, I presumed, would be loving your subjects—selflessly, wholly and completely, without any bias and free of any prejudice. He is also a part of my people and he shares my love to everyone else, a fact that he knows and understands.”   Upon hearing my words, Ten smiled to himself. He finished the last of his drink before saying, “He must be one lucky man for having to deserve you.”   I would like to say no, that I am the lucky one, but decided not to. I guess that part I could keep to my self.   “And your people are blessed for having a crown princess, as benevolent as you are.” He added. “Still, my offer stands. I like you, Yeona, not because of your physical appearance but because of your kind heart. I still think you will become a good queen for my people.”   “Thank you, Ten. I admire you for your brave heart but I guess mine’s simply made of steel.” I answered and we chuckled. “This girl will never easily back down from anything.”   “Oh well,” he said, as he jumped down the branch, stretching up, “I guess I could still keep my little crush of you, right? Even though you already dumped me.”   “Wait, who said anything about dumping?” I had a weird feeling of déjà vu from his words. Then I remembered the incident with Jaehyun and my hairs suddenly stood up.   “Anyhow, it has been a privilege.” Said he, obviously ignoring me. “Should we head back? I’m guessing your man is worried about you.”   “Hmm … I have an idea.” I answered as I imagined a little light bulb pop on top of my head. “Are you in?”   “Sure.” He gladly accepted.   — —   “Secretary Kim!” I called as I dragged Ten, running through the hallways of the Summer Palace. She emerged from one of the patios along with the rest of my ladies maids.   “Is something wrong your highness?” she asked, worried. We halted our quick steps; my hand remained on Ten’s wrist. He stayed silent behind me.   “Where’s Youngho?” I answered with a question, softly giggling.   “Doryeonim is in his room, your highness, reading and doing a few of his requirements. Should I call for him?” said she.   “Nope.” I answered and shook my head. “But kindly look for my cousin, I’m going to be needing him in a few.”   “Of course, your highness.” She answered and bowed, whilst the rest of the ladies followed.   “Come on!” I started dragging Ten once more towards Youngho’s room. “He’s a medical student so he’s very busy.”   “Will it be okay if we disturb him?” asked he.   “He won’t mind.” I answered and giggled once again. I heard him chuckled behind me. We reached a specific door and I didn’t even bother knocking. I entered directly and I found him on his laptop once again, but this time he had a few medical books laid out as well. I also noticed tons of sticky notes on all places with writings I’m pretty sure I couldn’t comprehend.   “I brought you a present!” I announced myself, which startled him. He looked back to find me grinning, with Ten awkwardly smiling and waving beside me.   He blinked before asking, “Do you mean a patient for examination?”   I gave him a straight face. “Pabo.” Said I. “I’m here to introduce a friend. I remembered how you made a fuss about Jungkook because you didn’t know him, so here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter