{ 02 } L I G H T

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Two   For centuries marriage has been a form of foreign policy, with kings and queens marrying foreign royals in order to strengthen foreign relations and alliances. Politics is the most common motive for the union of matrimony and rarely it happens that it stems out of love. If it did, even when love comes after the marriage, that couple is deemed really lucky. For Korea it is the same. My grandfather for example arranged my father’s marriage, yet his was not out of love as it turned out for both he and my mother fell madly in love with each other. Fate’s odds weren’t against them after all.   With that thought and belief in mind, I presumed, was my father able to come up with the decision regarding my own marriage. Initially, I know he is against the rumors that circulated about the prime minister’s son and I. Supposedly, the role of the prime minister is to prevent a sole tyrant from governing, and even though his position is not inheritable, a connection such as that of a marriage from both of our families will mean solidification of interests and bond, hence a tendency for a conspiracy.   That’s the main reason why the media loves to devour dating news of Jaehyun and I no matter how fake they are. Of course they want to feed the public with something that they could concern themselves with, something that they could exercise their freedom of speech. And the royal family already knows its lesson from the wrath of an angry mob, therefore when the first news came out my mother was in outrage. Nonetheless she assured full support if ever the rumors are true. It’s now my time to heave a sigh of relief because by all means, it is not and I have no future plans of making it so.   Therefore they resorted to a typical political move, and that is to arrange a marriage for me with a candidate free of any political ties. Good reasons could be endless for them doing so, it could rest assure the public that there is no political conspiracy going on, that the monarchy will continue in good hands, that the crown princess knows her duties and is responsible enough, etc. All these laid out in my thoughts prevent me from saying just one word effectively invalidating the decision, for the greater good of my people I prevent my mouth and my heart from saying no.   Right after my dad was home from his state visits, I was called to a meeting in order to discuss the details of the marriage interview. Even though my heart is dying to break free I keep myself from doing anything. Unless given a throne and crown I do not posses any political power in the government, for now, even as crown princess, I am still a mere pawn. For now at least, I let these people push me around the board.   My father, the king, is actually not a very scary man. Even with his enormous title he is very kind and humble, calm and collected, cheerful and ever so charming, I’d say the polar opposite of my mother. I’m guessing that’s the main reason why they complete each other, and like I said, so madly in love. Truth be told, I am closer to my father than to my mother. Proof of that was when I got my first period, I ordered Secretary Kim to seek the king, a man who clearly does not experience menstruation, instead of the queen. There’s just something in me that has the initial understanding that my father is the one who understands me the most. Maybe that’s because of our one underlying factor, that we are both entitled to the throne, him before I, hence we share a lot of sentiments and understanding.   I ran to him when I finally get to meet him after a couple of weeks that he was out and immediately wrapped him in a tight embrace. How I miss him so much and how glad I am that finally, I have someone in this confining palace that can truly understand me.   “How are you, appa mama?” I asked him as he returned my bone-crushing embrace.   “Never better now that I finally get to see my princess.” He answered. “I am aware that your mother has broke the news to you, I hope you are not furious.”   “I know it’s for the best, appa mama.” I answered as we broke the embrace. “But I want to be honest with you, whoever this man you chose will never rule me. I do not plan to cower before any person, not even in marriage.”   “Scary.” Said my father, trying his very best to imitate a scared gesture, which to me is just cute. “Well, I know that of course and that has got to be one of the things I have to consider in choosing the right person for this. But before anything else let’s take a seat, after all this is a formal meeting and I presume you would want to negotiate some things to me as well.”   We did as so before I proceeded speaking, “You know me too well, appa mama.”   “Don’t ever doubt.” He answered with a smile. “All things aside my dear, I assure you that I’ve got you no matter what happens. If you worry too much, just remember, I am always right here. If you feel like everything is too much for you then just say it. We are not rushing into things. I believe you understand why we’re doing this right?”   “Ye, appa mama.” I answered. “The rumors caused a political stir and now the public is also concerned. Please do not worry too much, I know I have my part to blame and I am ready to take on the responsibility.”   “Even so,” said he. “If you feel scared, that things are just going too fast then say it. We can postpone a big of an event just like that of a marriage. My little princess is still young and I believe you deserve to enjoy your youth.”   “Thank you, appa mama.” I answered, almost teary. “Oh I’m glad you’re back.”   He laughed. “Don’t say that whenever your mother is around or she’ll be extremely jealous.”   I almost rolled my eyes but resorted to laughing instead, “Yes, sir!” I cheerfully answered.   “Now, unto matters of the state.” Said he before gesturing towards his secretary, Mr. Jung and asked for a few papers. He hands it to my father before we resume our discussion ones more. “Again, Yeona,” he started saying. “This is a matter of decision for you, and solely you. No one dictates you into this marriage and I am simply here to guide you.”  
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter