{ 33 } I R O N Y

The Crown Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirty Three

Seoul 

“Your highness,” bowed Agent Oh before her Crown Princess, “A very pleasant morning. I’m here to give you my report about the current situation.”

I placed the newspaper that I was holding on the tea table right in front. It’s headline, none other than the identity of the man I held very dear into my heart. 

“Yes, please do brief me,” I answered.

“I just came from the SNU Medical School and we have safely escorted Seo Doryeonim into his building. For now, I left two agents with him for security and to maintain a direct line of communication just in case something comes up,” said she, “rest assured we will be able to respond immediately. He is very safe, your highness, we have the best looking out for him.

“We’ve also coordinated with the SNU faculty and staff and they are very much willing to cooperate. They’ve agreed that it would be best to keep the reporters out of the campus, thus, we assure her royal highness that doryeonim will not be disturbed in his studies.”

“Thank you, Agent Oh,” I answered. 

“The Blue House already found the paparazzi who took the photo and wrote the online article,” said Kang ahjussi, “he’s already being detained, and a lawsuit is already on his way for trespassing Imperial Palace grounds, taking unsolicited photos in Imperial Palace grounds, and shamelessly submitting it online. Regarding the loophole in the palace security, His Majesty was already informed, and the Royal Guard already solved the issue. Once again, we deeply apologize for this disgraceful incident, your highness.”

“We deeply apologize, your highness,” said my entire team in a chorus.

I shook my head. “You don’t have to, we all didn’t see this one coming even though we should have taken precaution,” answered I, “Agent Oh, please discuss Youngho oppa’s security protocols in detail with him. There may be things he would like to be arranged according to his preference. This must be a very bizarre and uncomfortable experience for him, and as much as I could I’d like for him to feel at ease, no matter how crazy this mayhem may be.”

“As you wish, your highness,” answered the said staff with a deep bow. 

“For now, I’d like to be kept on top of the situation,” I said further, “as you may have realized, Youngho oppa is not just an ordinary citizen the moment he agreed to be by my side. So, I advise all of you to take utmost precaution as you may already be serving a future member of the Royal Family.”

“Yes, your highness,” they all answered in chorus. 

“Thank you very much,” I answered. 

“Bigung mama,” said Soojin unnie, “the car is already waiting outside.”

“Right,” I answered with a deep breath before I stood up and made my way towards the front porch of the Chrysanthemum palace. 

It starts today, the defining moment that would cement my destiny forever. The first stop on my royal tour was none other than the capital city itself, Seoul. Every detail, down to every second of this historic public appearance was scrutinized and choreographed to perfection. If anything, it would be mine to lose. 

There was one crucial aspect of the tour that was debated over by the entirety of my tour staff for days on end; the dress that I would wear. Essentially it all boiled down to two options; whether I would wear a traditional Korean clothing, or would I start off the tour wearing modern clothes. In the end, the fashion director decided to consult my opinion, and I decided that it would be better for me to embody tradition for the beginning of this tour. 

The car took me from the Chrysanthemum Palace to the Gyeongbokgung main throne hall, the Geungjeongjeon. Gathered in this historic place were all the palace officials, my father’s political advisers and scholars, the Prime Minister and the entirety of Parliament, as well as the Seoul City Mayor and other local public officials. Of course, there also present was the entire Royal Family, even Taeyong was present. Wives and families of important government officials were also present upon special invitation, and alas, the media for what would serve the purpose of a royal tour if not for press buzz and attention. 

As the car slowly swerved to a slow halt, my entire staff and team piled up before the red carpet prepared for my arrival. I remained in the car, awaiting the right time for me to grace the ceremony with my appearance. 

“In two minutes time, your royal highness,” said Kang ahjussi through a small peak in the car’s window. 

“Thank you,” I answered quite nervous and tensed from inside the vehicle. 

From not too far away I heard the sounding of the gong indicating the arrival of my father, leading the procession of the royal family. 

“His Majesty, the King!” announced the royal guard, loud and clear for everyone to hear, including the spectators outside the palace. 

Upon royal protocol, everyone has to convey a great bow before the king and a few moments of total silence would be observed before he takes his seat on the throne. When he finally got settled atop the great steps along with the rest of the royal family, my father was tasked to render my official introduction to our people. 

In his perfect traditional Korean words, he said, “In this calm morning of the forty-fourth year of my reign, where we greet the first full moon of the month, we also greet someone who symbolizes our great nation. She embodies the ancient history and tradition of our peninsula, back from the periods of the Three Kingdoms, Baekje, Goguryeo, and Silla, to the glorious days of the Joseon Empire, and today in the modern-day Kingdom of Korea. 

“She also embodies modernity and globalization, having been born in the millennial age dominated by the advancement of science and technology, progressive social movements, and the emergence of a new world order. She is likened to our Korea of today, where tradition and technology blend in harmony. 

“I proudly present to the entire nation and to my people, the heir to the throne of Korea, your Crown Princess, Yi Yeona.” 

That was my cue to exit the car and began my procession from the gates of the royal throne hall up to the top of the royal steps where I would render a speech in commemoration of the start of the tour and my official pronouncement as heir to the throne. 

As expected, my entrance wasn’t short of the impact we were expecting, if not, it was even more spectacled. In the olden days, the Crown Prince or the Seja Jeoha would wear the traditional Blue and Silver Dragon Silk Robe, an important symbol of his status as the heir apparent to the throne. Yet, I am not a Wangseja for I am the Crown Princess destined to rule, the first of my line, therefore my royal dress robes shall be different and the first of its kind as well. 

I was wearing the same royal blue silk robe for my blouse robes, with the silver coat of arms embroidered in the front and back of my blouse and on each of my shoulders. This particular emblem was only worn by the ruling men of our dynasty before, but now, for the first time in history, a woman was wearing it. The collars, sleeves, and long hem of the blouse was also adorned by silver embroideries, detailed even to the most minute characters. It depicted the royal dragon, a symbol of the monarch, swimming in a sea of Korean roses, our traditional flower. All these symbolized my royal heritage and blood, my status as the future bearer of the Crown, and my forthcoming role as the head of state. 

My skirt and petticoat were a crisp color white, adorned by the same silver embroidering as my blouse robes. The depiction of the royal dragon ran two tiers at the bottom of the dress robe as if it was flying in the heavens, scattering a rain of roses in its trail. All these symbolized the mandate of the heavens, a reflection of our tradition, usually pertaining to the divine authority of the monarch.

I also wore three norigae or ornaments for my dress robes, fastened on the ribbon securing my blouse. All three took the design inspired by the royal dragon with the colors blue, silver, and gold. My hair was neatly braided from each side of my head, joined into one single long braid running up to the small of my back and fastened by another royal blue silk ribbon, bearing the silver royal coat of arms. Behind each larger braid were smaller ones that connect atop my head fastened by an ornament depicting a large metallic silver Korean rose, with three small silver tassels extending to my forehead. On each side of my head were smaller versions of the same hair ornament, fastened to the larger braids. 

I treaded the carpeted floor ever so gracefully with my head held high and up ahead, looking towards my family who was all rooting for me. I passed the officials as they offered me a great bow, saying over and over, “Wangsejabin Mama!” I looked like a living emblem of tradition amidst the sea of people all wearing modern tuxedos and dresses. I was the only one in traditional Korean clothing, the youngest person in the immediate vicinity, yet embodying an age long tradition while at the same time the acceptance of modernization. 

As I slowly rise from the steps, I looked at my father who had nothing but pride in his eyes. I glanced at my mother who smiled ever so encouragingly, giving me strength and courage. And to my cousin, Taeyong, who only gave me a respectful bow. They were all there to support me and I had no plans of disappointing them. 

I took my stance on the right-hand side of my father’s throne and I was handed a blue royal scroll where my speech was written. I took a deep breath as the cold morning wind brushed through my skin, then I opened the piece of parchment before I read aloud. 

“The Korea we know today is a harmonious blend of tradition and modernization. It is a sanctuary where things from the past peacefully coexist with things of the present. Our national flag, which bears the emblem of balance, perfectly signifies this symphonic experience. Thus, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to conclude that this perfect harmony is in Korea’s true identity. 

“My father made mention of a new world order. In our present day and age, where a new kind of government is popular among the nations of the world, where this ancient institution—the monarchy—is deemed outdated, and where the Crown doesn’t bear any weight into the modern man’s life, our nation stands as a unique cacophony. For the image of Korea that we would like to paint is one where both elements of democracy and the monarchy are the two strong pillars that uphold our government. 

 “I, as heir to the Korean Throne, stand before you, my people, as the living embodiment of that picture. The breathing irony that is our nation today here stood as the future figurehead of the country. I may be young, but as people from my generation today, I am willing to learn. I may not be the customary monarch that everyone expects, but I, among anybody else, best live and breathe the ancient traditions we hold so dear.

“Thus, through this royal tour, I would like to continuously convey the picture of present-day Korea. That we are not a nation held back by our customs but instead driven by it, to a rebirth that would solidify the picture of a unique and most beautiful amalgamation of our identity. I, as the face of the monarchy, would be the vessel of such a rebirth, a living bridge of the people of the present to the past and into the future.

“I wish everyone would help me in reaching this goal, and I attest to all of you that for all my life, whether it may be long or short, will be dedicated to the service of the people. Thank you very much.”

Applause was then in order. I had delivered probably the best speech that I would ever have in my life. To my delight, I couldn’t help but smile so bright before I bowed in front of the people and then to my family who was also equally glad of my accomplishment.

The gong was once again sounded as the procession of the royal family down the great steps began, with me trailing behind my father who had visibly lighter steps as he beamed with pride. Afterward we made the historic appearance in front of the gates of the Gyeongbokgung and waved to the people and spectators outside who were all anticipating us. We spent a few minutes waving before them, smiling our very best, and then the program officially ended. 

A few hours later …

“Your Royal Highness,” said Soojin unnie as we finished boarding the cabins of the Pan-Korean Royal Railway System. This was built right after World War II, when my ancestor, King Yi Un, wanted a fast and efficient mode of transportation that the royal family could utilize to reach different places in the country, especially in times of emergency. During that time, flying wasn’t as efficient as today, hence developing such a system was imperative. It was also the initiative that built the well and efficient railway and subway systems of the country that still exists until this day. When my father was the Crown Prince and had his own tour of the country, he also boarded the same historic train. The cabins w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter