Chapter 6 - Getting New Round

Solo Day

Jinyoung P.O.V.

Jinyoung plodded out of bed, heading towards the kitchen to grab some sort of food that resembles a breakfast. He made himself a quick sandwich consisting of strawberry jam, mustard and something else that smelt a little weird but tasted acceptable in Jinyoung’s opinion.

He took his sandwich, not really bothering to clean up the mess he had just made, and headed for the living room where his shabby couch called out to him. But Jinyoung stopped himself half way there. He had promised himself he would figure out some way to get this road trip happening. And he knew that if he sat down to play just one game or watch just one show, he would be there all day.

Instead of taking a seat at his beloved couch, Jinyoung opted for sitting out on the front porch to enjoy his morning meal. As he opened the front door, the cool morning breeze greeted him, gently blowing up against his face. Jinyoung closed his eyes briefly to soak up the feeling he hadn’t experienced in such a long and distant time.

“Hey!”

Jinyoung’s cat-like eyes quickly opened up wide as he heard a shout from across the road. Were they shouting at him?

Surely enough, Jinyoung watched as a man around his age, tall with perfect long brown hair and thick rimmed glasses, proceeded to jog across the road and stop at the edge of the path directly in front of Jinyoung’s lawn.

Jinyoung didn’t know what to say to the other young man who now stood expectedly on the edge of his overgrown lawn. He didn’t even know what the other wanted or why he was over here. He had never seen the clean-cut man in his life.

“Sorry for suddenly coming over here but I noticed your sports car as I drove by yesterday and I couldn’t help but notice how well kept it was!” the other sang out, not quite sure whether it was alright to walk on any further.

Jinyoung stuffed the remainder of his sandwich into his mouth, rubbing the sticky mustard off with the back of his sleeve. Someone was interested in his sports car! Jinyoung thought this could be his big chance.

As he stepped down off of his porch, he gestured for the other to come onto his property.

“Well, I-I can show you if you like” Jinyoung stuttered, not very used to being around people all that much.

Although he was a moderately confident young male, the words he used to be able to form to create speech have slipped from his mind a little.

The strange man smiled and stepped onto the front lawn, walking briskly to the garage Jinyoung was already headed to.

“So I haven’t seen you around here much, have you always lived here?” the man questioned, his eyes widening as they finally stood before the bright red car.

“Yeah, I have. I don’t usually get out much, I’m kind of a couch potato of sorts” Jinyoung explained awkwardly “My name is Jinyoung by the way”

Jinyoung stuck out his hand in an effort to greet his new acquaintance, however the other man backed away slightly with a painful smile.

“I-I’m Shinwoo” he introduced himself, his tone just as pained as his expression.

Jinyoung looked at his still extended hand, a little offended, wiping his rejected hand on his jeans.

Shinwoo cleared his throat, handing something over to Jinyoung.

Jinyoung looked up, seeing a wipe being shoved towards him. He took it and looked at it with a blank expression.

“W-What am I meant to do with this?” he asked quizzically.

“Wipe your hands” Shinwoo said in a bothered tone, as if it were plainly obvious.

Jinyoung scoffed but albeit did as he was told, wiping the dirt and mustard from his hands thoroughly. He disposed of the wipe into his pocket and looked back over at the other man, who was now extending a perfectly manicured and moisturised hand towards him.

Jinyoung smiled slightly and shook the other man known as Shinwoo’s hand.

“It’s nice to meet you” Shinwoo finally said, retracting his hand a little too quickly, pulling out another wipe to clean his hand.

“Uh…you too” Jinyoung said, scratching his head at the other’s odd behaviour.

Shinwoo disposed of the wipe before readjusting his glasses with one of his fingers.

“So, um… is there any chance I could maybe tag along on a ride with you? I mean, it’s a fairly impressive car and it would be fantastic to see how it goes” Shinwoo said, beginning to ramble.

“I don’t drive” Jinyoung said straightforwardly, cutting off the other man.

“You, what? Why on earth would you have such a great car if you can’t drive?” he questioned.

Jinyoung shrugged, “Can you drive?” he questioned, crossing his fingers.

Shinwoo stared at him in disbelief and nodded “Of course I can”

“Maybe you could take it on a test drive then?” Jinyoung suggested, feeling a little hopeful.

Shinwoo’s eyes widened again and he nodded “Yes, yes that would be great!”

Jinyoung smiled, a little mischievously.

“Well if you want to drive the car, wouldn’t it be fun if we went down the East Coast on a road trip?” he casually suggested, well he thought he was being casual anyway but in reality he seemed kind of desperate.

Shinwoo raised an eyebrow.

“You want me to go on a road trip with you? We just met” Shinwoo pointed out.

Jinyoung laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head once again.

“Well I-I kind of don’t have anybody else to go with. I mean, I really need to do something with my life. I haven’t left my house in months. I want to experience the coast you know, I’ve never been to the beach before” Jinyoung explained, attempting to have Shinwoo agree to go with him out of pity.

Shinwoo shook his head “You don’t want to go to the beach anyway. Sand becomes stuck in your clothes! Although, sea water can do wanders for your skin…” he contemplated.

Jinyoung looked hopeful as Shinwoo considered for a moment.

Shinwoo finally nodded “It’s my last day at university before the holidays tomorrow. Anytime after then, I’m good to go. I guess we just need to plan where we will be stopping and what we are going to do”

“I never thought of planning anything” Jinyoung admitted sheepishly.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure I can do that” Shinwoo offered “Although, I’m sure you would want some input. Can I come around to your house later on this afternoon?”

“Yeah, yeah sure” Jinyoung agreed, happy his plans are finally going the way he wants them to “And you can take the car for a spin anytime you feel like it before the trip”

“Thank you” Shinwoo said “How about now? I can take you down town, maybe we could grab lunch? I can give you a good day out. It’ll be better than being cooped up in your house all day for sure” he suggested “You’re going to have to change out of those clothes though and brush your hair and wash your face…”

“I got it, I got it!” Jinyoung cut him off “I’ll go do that and I’ll meet you right back here, understand?”

 

“Ah really, this guy” Jinyoung muttered to himself as he returned to his front door and re-entered his home.

Shinwoo sure was a strange guy, constantly wiping his hands with cleaning wipes, fidgeting a lot and making it his own personal business to point out Jinyoung’s imperfections. It made Jinyoung feel less of a person than Shinwoo.

Honestly, Jinyoung wasn’t sure whether he liked Shinwoo or not. However, the guy was nice enough to become Jinyoung’s designated driver and Jinyoung was happy enough with that for now.

 

Shinwoo P.O.V.

Shinwoo rolled back onto his heels, tapping his hand against his leg as he awaited his newly found friend. He couldn’t believe it, maybe this time he has made a friend who won’t get annoyed with him and eventually leave.

To tell the truth, Shinwoo was excited he would get to go on a road trip with Jinyoung but he didn’t want to agree to go along straight away. He might have freaked the other young man out, so he played it cool and pretended to think it over. To be honest, he had already thought it over before he had got there. He had played over a million scenarios in which he could make new friends in his mind. A vacation or holiday had been one of them, not specifically a road trip but his pre-thought-out scenario had been close enough.

Shinwoo straightened up as he heard Jinyoung emerge from the door, dressed in somewhat presentable clothing and brushed hair. Shinwoo hummed in approval. He hated it when things looked out of place like how Jinyoung had looked before. It made Shinwoo want to lean over and start brushing the other man’s hair for him. Although Shinwoo would be doing Jinyoung a favour, he had a feeling that Jinyoung wouldn’t approve. People don’t tend to like it when Shinwoo does things like that.

“Are you ready?” Jinyoung asked, using his dreadful English in an attempt to be cool in front of his newly acquainted acquaintance.

Shinwoo chuckled “Yes, I’m ready” he replied in his much better English.

Jinyoung laughed a little, less nervous than before and got into the passenger side of the vehicle.

Shinwoo got into the driver’s seat becoming excited at the thought of driving the magnificent car. He has never driven a car so perfect before.

Shinwoo started up the car and Jinyoung turned the radio on, flicking it to a music station.

“I’ll show you some of my favourite places to go in Seoul these days” Shinwoo said, almost shouting over the music.

Jinyoung nodded, excited but a little nervous to leave his little neighbourhood for the first time in a long while.

~~~

A/N That is all for now ^^ I will work on another chapter and see how things turn out~ ^_^