Chapter 1 - Couch Potato

Solo Day

Jung Jinyoung has been day dreaming a lot lately whilst watching tv, playing video games, eating a packet of his favourite flavoured crisps. He has been day dreaming of an adventure filled with friends, weird elf-like creatures and ufo sightings. However, in reality he hasn’t moved from the couch in weeks.

He thoughtfully shoved another seafood flavoured crisp into his food-stained mouth and chewed slowly. He knew he needed to go out and get some fresh air but the thought of leaving his own home disturbed him greatly. How would he ever beat his new high score? How would he live with himself if he ever missed an episode of his dearly beloved television programme?

Jinyoung placed the now empty chip packet onto the pile which lay beside him and rubbed the powder from the crisps onto the back of his sleeve. As he did so, he took a longing gaze at the television screen where a red sports car filled with video game characters lit up the otherwise darkened living room, the words ‘Game Over’ covering the screen. Jinyoung wasn’t sure why, but those two simple English words whom everybody in Korea should recognise gave Jinyoung the idea that his life could too be over eventually, and he wouldn’t be able to play that game known as ‘life’ ever again. Now that Jinyoung had taken a little more thought into it, he realised he was growing quickly and that he was living day to day just to beat his own high score in a videogame.

Jinyoung stood up for the first time that day and with a determined forward of his arm, he flicked the off switch on his television and walked outside for the first time in what felt like years. He could tell by the looks which the neighbours gave him that he looked like a mess but Jinyoung really didn’t care. He was never one to worry about his looks too much since he knew he already looked fabulous.

He made his way over to the garage, built adjacent from his home, and lifted up the garage door with a bit of a struggle on account of only lifting his hands to eat crisps for the past week or so. In the darkness of the garage, barely visible, sat a large tarp over a suspiciously car-shaped object. Jinyoung smiled to himself as he pulled the tarp off of the suspiciously car-shaped object to reveal a clean red sports car. He remembers how he reacted when his father unveiled it to him on his 19th birthday. He remembers not being bothered by it, not giving a single and trudging back to his room to play a game of starcraft. However, now he felt thankful to his father. Now he could live up to his videogames and his day dreams. Now he could create an experience and make a memory. He would no longer be living for his couch only.

Jinyoung wanted to take the sports car on a test ride through town. It was only then that the thought struck him. Jinyoung couldn’t actually drive a car. He had never bothered to take his driving test, as he was perfectly content with driving his virtual car in his virtual world. If he wanted to create any memories at this rate, he needed a designated driver.

He would sleep on it. Tomorrow he will find a way to do as he always thought about only in his mind. He wanted to take a road trip. He wanted to make memories that would last him a life time. He wanted to make friends, he wanted to find a girlfriend. There are so many things Jinyoung has missed out on.