Chapter 5 - Flower Vagabond

Solo Day

Gong Chansik, or Gongchan if you blend the two together, began to wake up as he felt the warm sun along with a casual breeze brush up against his skin. As he curled himself up to keep warm his stomach ached. That was the one thing he hated about his lifestyle. Other than the lack of responsibility and freedom to do as he pleased, he was constantly starving and the cold nights were difficult to get through. He left the average life three years ago when he was kicked out by his parents for having low grades. He wasn’t much of an academic.

As Gongchan slowly sat up to appreciate the parks scenery he was met with an amazing smell. The smell of meat that had been sitting for a while, but not too long. It smelt just right to Gongchan. He peered through his overgrown fringe only to see a plastic bag sitting beside him on the bench. Gongchan looked around, expecting to find the owner of the discarded meats. However, no one was around at this time of morning as the sun was just beginning to rise.

As Gongchan leaned over to take a look inside the plastic bag, he continued to shift glances left and right around the park, paranoid someone would yell at him for thieving their meat. However, nobody came. Gongchan felt giddy as he had hit the jackpot. About ten ham hocks along with a drink of Chilsung cider sat within the plastic. Gongchan really couldn’t believe his luck!

Gongchan pulled out three of the ham hocks, devoured them in a short amount of time and washed them down with half a can of cider. He would save the rest for tomorrow, he thought to himself as he placed the plastic bag into a nearby trolley labelled ‘They Are Coming’.

He was headed for the park shelter where he would sleep for the night. He also noticed that dirt was beginning to build up all along his thin arms. Tomorrow Gongchan decided he would go for a swim in the Han River to clean himself. He had his very own secluded spot for swimming in the river, it was hidden by shrubs and trees so he had as much privacy as he needed to strip bare and really get a good clean.