Do I?

Taking Care

“You’re so stupid, Alex” you quipped, chuckling as you nudged one of your best friends as she propped herself against the wall, sweat dripping down her face and her eyes fixed on the future that both of you would share. “I can’t believe you get into WM Entertainment as the next choreographer and the first thing you think of is getting connections of connections to get to Xiumin from EXO,” you sighed, shaking your head halfheartedly although your heart nearly jumped out of your chest at the thought of finally entering the company you had only dreamed of. Sure, it was a relatively small company, but small was all you needed. He was all you needed and you were more than certain that, as your friend’s life coach, personal assistant, life manager- whatever sounded the most professional and least degrading- that you would have more than enough time with him… If your friend wasn’t too busy halfway dying over new choreography or pining after Xiumin.

            “O whatever,” she shrugged, her eyes sparkling. “Don’t act like you’re not benefiting from this, too. I may not have had to sell my soul like I would have had I got into SMTOWN, but working my way up to just this audition took a lot of blood, sweat and tears, literally,” she scoffed, ruffling her hair, exhausted as her legs finally gave out from under her. “But, it was worth it because you get your Shinwoo and well, I guess I’ll get my Xiumin eventually?” she sighed, trying to convince herself more than anything. “At least you get that chance. I didn’t want to keep you waiting,” she admitted, cracking a weak smile as her head slumped to her chest. You squatted beside her, patting her.

            “You did well!” you assured her. “And yes, I am very grateful that you have given up all your time writing people’s essays for a living to come here, but hey, look at it this way, we are on our way now!” you pointed out, a bright smile appearing on your already cheerful face.

            “Do you really think tha-“

            “Wah~ Jal haeseo! WM ohsaeyo!” Sandeul’s obnoxiously loud, yet charming voice broke her sentence. You both jolted your heads up to look at the elated boys bursting through the audition room doors to greet you two. You were the first to stumble to your feet as Alex gave all of you a weak and halfhearted wave of the hand as she stumbled to get up, not giving any attention to her appearance as a professional employee as she slumped, still dripping in sweat and nearly dizzy at the excitement. You smiled and stood up straight before immediately bowing politely to all of the members and returning upright with a smile. Alex only nodded before bowing.

            “We are so happy to welcome both of you,” Jinyoung stated quietly, a sheepish but darling smile across his gorgeous features.

            “Thank you~,” Alex smile cutely. “I apologize, but I am very tired from the day,” she pointed out candidly. “You boys and I are going to have a lot of work ahead of us and this turtle just needs a little break,” she sighed.

            “Ah, it’s quite alright. We are just happy to welcome two new people into the company. We are small, but we are all one big family and we hope we all have good years ahead,” Baro reassured the two of you, his eyes twinkling.

            “I-I brought you this towel,” Sandeul stuttered as he scuttled towards Alex, ing the towel out at her before retreating back into line, his usually carefree and nonchalant demeanor broken. You merely chuckled at his ray of cuteness before helping Alex stand up straight.

            “So, what are your names? So sorry, in all the commotion, we couldn’t catch them very well in there,” Gongchan coaxed, flashing a smile at you that nearly distracted you from Shinwoo’s equally compelling eye smile.

            “My name is Alex Trin,” she replied formally in Korean, taking this moment to act formally towards them. “So nice to meet you. I already know who all of you are. It’ll be such a pleasure to work with you all,” she added with a bright smile. You caught Sandeul’s eyes widen, but decided against pointing it out.

            “And my name is Lenena Matias. I’m her life coach, I guess? Girl dances straighter than her head is screwed on. She’s my pahbo of a dongsaeng if you will,” you added. “I know who you are as well. I am a huge Bana,” you admitted shamelessly.

            “Lenena? Do I-?” Shinwoo repeated slowly. The other members looked at him in confusion. You nodded, not at all phased by how slow Shinwoo seemed to be.

            “Yes, Lenena. Aigoo, hyung, I swear, you are getting too old. You can’t remember people’s names,” Baro teased.

            “No, no, no, it’s alright. I get that a lot. My name gets mixed up a lot and it’s a mess,” you chuckled, coming to his rescue. He looked up at you from over the rim of his thick-framed glasses, a light in his eyes that you couldn’t remember from other fan engagements, meet and greets, and other run-ins you had with him as a mere fan when he and the others were in the United States.

            “This is great and all and I really hate to interrupt, but I really need feed or I will faint. I’ve never worked that hard in my life,” Alex moaned, exhausted- and with good reason. The B1A4 members chuckled at her candidness and you could only shake your head playfully, something you had always done often since you met her so many years ago.

            “Don’t worry! I know a great place to eat!” Sandeul exclaimed, proud to take the lead.

            “Can I have a shower first?” she asked bluntly.

            “O, that’s right, you have worked so hard to get here and you must really be tired. Sure, we can take you up to our dorms and feel free to take a shower there,” Jinyoung offered sweetly.

            “Do you even know how that sounds? That sounds so creepy,” Gongchan pointed out, jeering at the older yet more naïve older member. “Unless Alex and darling Lenena here have other intentions in mind,” he winked. Jinyoung merely blushed at his blunder, bowing frantically. The both of you simply laughed and convinced him that it was fine.

            “Oh my god, hyung, will you calm yourself. They just got here. I know you’re full of yourself, but please, they don’t wanna be full of you, too,” Sandeul reprimanded him, rolling his eyes. “It’s ok, we’re not erts,” he tried to assure you.

            “Well, I can’t say the same for you, but yeah, no worries, ladies, the rest of us aren’t. Let’s just say it’s a language translation thing that our members here can’t control their mouth diarrhea,” Baro justified.

            “It’s ok, where we come from, it is a lot worse,” Alex added. “I think it’s cute.”

            “Well, in that case, I’m the biggest ert here, right?” Sandeul piped up excitedly, only to be nudged by Shinwoo for being so direct and absurd.

            “Don’t mind him either, but I guess, what we were trying to say is if you would like to take a break, we would be glad to supply the venue. Then, we can all go out for a celebratory dinner. Does that sound good?” he spoke slowly, cautiously, trying to sound as clear and friendly as possible, though he held eye contact with you longer than he perhaps should have. The two of you nodded, you never breaking eye contact with the gentleman in front of you.

            “Well, that’s great, so shall we go?” Gongchan suggested.

            “Yeah, I’m getting hungrier by the minute,” Sandeul whined.

            “O, hush. We’ll get some food into you soon enough,” Baro guaranteed him, at which, his lips curled up into a satisfied smile. With that, the seven of you were gone.

            As the other members discussed with you the tentative schedules- at which your mind raced considering you no longer had to wait for any announcements for a much needed and long-awaited comeback, Sandeul waited anxiously by the bathroom door.

            “Is he alright over there? For once, he’s not being so loud and out there,” Jinyoung asked softly, glancing over.

            “Yeah, I don’t know what kind of charm your friend put on this boy, but he has already taken a liking to her, I see,” Baro added. You simply shrugged, gesturing for him to come join you all in the living room. He politely shook his head and flashed a calm smile back at you.

            “I have never seen him so calm like this. It’s kind of disturbing,” Jinyoung sighed.

            “Well, then again, he has found someone very much like him. I bet it is just a friendship that he is exited for,” Gongchan shrugged. “What do you think, Shinwoo?” The other member was staring at you, an empty expression on his face, which you did not notice until the conversation was directed back towards him. He looked lost in thought, a look that you could relate to but couldn’t read as if time had slowed and it was only the two of you, him wanting to say so much but not being able to find the words. You smiled to yourself on the inside as you patiently waited for him to say anything at all.

            “Do I?” he asked slowly, directing the conversation more so towards you than anyone else before realizing the topic of the conversation. “O, I’m sorry. I don’t know what is up with our little ball of energy over there, but I think it is cute,” he dismissed. “Do I?” you heard him mumble under his breath as the other members nodded in agreement and started talking about something else.

            You do, you thought to yourself.

            “Wah~” you heard as Sandeul yelped. You all looked towards him as you say him flat on his back on the bathroom floor at your feet.

            “Aigoo, thank god I was already dressed!” Alex exclaimed as you clamored to help the boy up. “My goodness, Sandeul, what the heck were you doing there against the door?”

            “I was waiting for you to get out just in case you needed something. Was I too much?” he admitted, a light blush running across his round cheeks. Alex only bit her lip and shook her head playfully.

            “Just a little bit!” Gongchan shouted sarcastically from across the room. “Real smooth; you should have just let me tell you what to do.”

            “O, like you’re any better,” Shinwoo joked.

            “Well, I am everyone’s bias list ruiner,” he replied haughtily.

            “Not mine,” you interjected, glancing at Shinwoo for a quick second, which he didn’t notice. Gongchan only pouted, much to the other members’ amusement.

            “Anyway, he’s alright, guys. Shall we go?” Alex called as she took Sandeul’s wrist and led him back to you all.

            “Yeah, so where was this amazing place you were talking about earlier, Sandeul. We have to show our guests of honor proper hospitality,” Baro reminded him. He looked back at Alex and smiled before exclaiming flamboyantly “Don’t worry my dear dongsaeng, let me show you the way!” You and the other members only shook their heads at the silly ball of ridiculousness. The rest of you filed out of the room, Shinwoo and yourself last. Before you left, however, Shinwoo grabbed your wrist, tugging you back with him before gazing into your eyes, almost your very soul. You shuddered at the touch before immediately relaxing, returning the look as you analyzed him in all his perfection.

            “I do. I remember you,” he stated simply, leading you out of the room before locking the door.