Six

Take My Heart

It was Saturday morning and Jaebum opened both of his eyes as he squinted due to the sudden brightness. He let out a low groan as he felt the throbbing pain in his head. His breath smelled like alcohol and he looked like a hot mess. Jaebum slowly sat up as he looked around in confusion.

"Huh?" he was inside his room already and was laying on his bed. 

He wasn't able to remember anything from last night. He just remembered going into a bar and drank as much as he could then he out. He didn't even remember how much bottle of soju he drank. 

Suddenly his phone vibrated as a message arrived. He unlocked his phone as his fingers swept across it. 

 

Ya hyung! Don't go to a drinking bar alone and also don't drink too much next time. You're lucky enough I found you last night! Things would've gotten messier if I didn't drive you home! - Jackson. 

 

Jaebum ruffled his hair in frustration as he read the message. So Jackson was the one who drove him home last night. No wonder he was already inside his own room, laying on his bed. 

Jaebum sighed as he stood up and headed to the bathroom. He looked at his reflection in the mirror as he took out his toothbrush and started brushing his teeth. Jaebum's eyes suddenly widened as he remembered a dream he had last night. 

 

--flashback--

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her on top of him. Just before they knew it, their lips touched. The kiss was soft and gentle as they had their eyes shut. 

Jaebum slowly opened his eyes and brushed his fingers on her cheek. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and looked at her lovingly. 

"I love you Dahyun-ah.." he spoke softly with a sincerity in his voice. 

Dahyun starred at him with a blank expression as she broke free from him. Jaebum sat up as he looked at the girl. She wasn't saying anything and with that, she ran off. 

--flashback--

 

Jaebum shook his head as he snapped out of his thoughts.

"It was only a dream.. right?" he muttered to himself. 

But why did it felt so real? He felt her touch on his arm and her lips on his. "That couldn't be real." Jaebum said assuring himself. 

He twisted the faucet open as water instantly ran down from it. He splashed his face with the warm water and wiped it off with the towel. Jaebum scoffed in disbelief as he looked at his reflection in the mirror. "I even dreamt about her." 

'

'

Dahyun wasn't even able to sleep well afterwards. 

She sat on her bed as she touched her lips. She was starring blankly at her window as she recalled what happened last night. She let out a frustrated whine as she covered her face with her pillow and let her body shrunk onto her bed. Her heart started to beat rapidly as it was going to leap out of her chest.

"This isn't real life.. is it?" she looked at the ceiling as she felt her face burned pink. "No no no this can't be real." she straightened up as she touched her cheeks with both of her hands. 

"Aishhhhhhh!" Dahyun let both of her legs kicked the air in frustration. There were no words to describe how she was feeling that time. She flipped over to the other side of her bed as she exhaled deeply. 

She just had her first kiss.

With her own brother. 

It wasn't right. But strangely, at the same time, she felt her heart wasn't protesting either. Jaebum was her step brother and she always looked up to him as her sibling. There was no way possible that Dahyun loved him in another way.

"He was too drunk. That's why." Dahyun muttered as she tried to assure herself. She cringed as she covered her face with her hands. How could she be able to face Jaebum later? 

"Just forget about it. Don't try to bring up the topic Dahyun-ah." she said to herself as she sat up. "You can get through this!" Dahyun pumped her fist onto the air as she tried to lighten herself up.  

She got up from her bed and went to the bathroom to wash up. 

'

'

The whole Saturday morning had been Dahyun avoiding Jaebum as best as she can. She avoided his gaze and any eyecontacts with him. Not even speaking to him when they had their family breakfast and just litteraly avoiding him in general. She just wanted to get away from any possible awkward conversation that they may had when she bumped onto him. 

On the other hand, Jaebum noticed her strange behavior. He actually also felt guilty for yelling at her and avoiding her in the past two days and wanted to apologize for it. He was just too jealous and he actually was trying his best to hide his real feelings towards Dahyun. He was too afraid that it was going to ruin everything they got right now. 

Dahyun peered over to the living room as her eyes scanned the room. No sign of Jaebum. She quickly tiptoed towards the room, heading to the door when suddenly a voice called out behind her. 

"Dahyun-ah." it was none other than her brother's voice.

Dahyun cringed as she squinted her eyes slightly. That was it. Dahyun exhaled deeply as she spun around and smiled.

"A-ah Jaebum oppa." she waved. 

"Are you.. going somewhere?" he started as his gaze met hers. 

Dahyun nodded in reply. "Mm. I need some fresh air." 

"Can I come with you?" Jaebum asked. 

"Sure." she smiled.

Dahyun was actually sighing inside. She had her fingers crossed hoping that Jaebum wasn't going to bring up about the incident that occured last night. 

 

They both strolled down the Seoul area which was packed with cute shops, bakeries, fashion boutiques and cafes. It was a famous area for people to spend their weekends and it was a pretty crowded one. Jaebum had his hands inside his pockets as he glanced at Dahyun who looked like she was amazed by the cute vintage decorations of the shops they were passing by. Without him knowing, a smile curved on his lips. 

Dahyun abruptly stopped infront of an ice cream parlor as she starred at the pictures of the ice creams in the banner.

"That looks delicious." she mumbled. 

Jaebum slightly chuckled at her reaction as he immediately took her hand and walked into the shop. They queued up on the line as Jaebum suddenly felt his heart started to beat rapidly when he realized he had been holding Dahyun's hand. He immediately took his hand away as he put it inside his pockets before Dahyun realized it. 

"2 chocolate chip cones please." Dahyun ordered as she smiled brightly when they finally made it to the 'order here' section. She looked like an innocent 5 year old kid craving for ice cream and it brought a smile to Jaebum.

The siblings finally went out the parlor as each of them had their ice cream on their hands. 

"Let's sit there!~" Dahyun pointed happily at a bench near a vintage shop. 

Jaebum nodded in reply as they approached it. The awkward atmosphere started to build up as none of them talked. Dahyun was busy enjoying her ice cream meanwhile Jaebum was too scared to start off. He managed to in a breath depply as he glanced at her. 

"Dahyun-ah." Jaebum called softly. 

"Mm?" the girl glanced at him. Dahyun was praying hard he wasn't going to bring up the topic. 

"I'm sorry I kind of avoided you yesterday. And the other day too. You know something came up and I was-" 

"Ah that.. it's okay." Dahyun gave a warm smile at him.  "I know I should've just gave you sometime alone. That was my fault." she sighed.

"Anyway did Jackson really drove me home yesterday?" Jaebum started. 

Dahyun immediately stopped eating her ice cream as she felt her heart stopped.

He brought it up.

He brought up the topic. 

"Mm." Dahyun looked at her brother as she nodded in reply. She was trying to remain as calm as possible.

"Ah I see.." he replied. "D-did I do something weird yesterday?" Jaebum gulped as he turned to look at Dahyun. His heart was leaping out of his chest. What if he did something extremely stupid and he couldn't even remembered it? 

Dahyun chocked on her ice cream as her eyes widened slightly at his question. She was literally panicking and she was trying as hard as she can to not let her cheeks turned pink. 

"Well.. about that.." Dahyun pursed her lips. "You didn't remember anything at all?" 

Jaebum's eyes widened as he abruptly straightened up and looked at her. "No no this isn't happening." Jaebum's heart was racing so fast. If he blurted out something to Dahyun that he wasn't supposed to say, he's done.

"You made me carry out your heavy body!" Dahyun spoke as she looked at him. "Your legs were so wobbly and you kept tripping over everything! And plus you kept mumbling nonsense things." she protested as she slightly pouted. 

Jaebum let out a chuckle as he exhaled a relieved sigh deeply. He leaned back onto his seat as he relaxed a little bit. That meant nothing that's endangering his life happened last night. 

"Sorry. I tend to do weird things like that when I'm drunk." he explained as he rubbed the back of his head. 

Dahyun clucked her tongue as she sighed and continued to eat her ice cream. "Then you shouldn't drink too much oppa." she added.

Dahyun was extremely relieved by the fact that her brother didn't even remember anything at all but on the other side, she suddenly felt a little bit of dissapointment. She didn't know why but she felt her heart sank a little bit. 

They continued their conversation when suddenly a voice called out and made them looked up. 

 

"Jaebum-ah!~" 

 

"Seulgi?"