5th thing: Your voice.

That Thing You Do! 2Jae edition

The nice smell of the starry night gracefully seeps through the window of his dear friend’s room, filling his lungs with the peace of green fields somewhere close of the dorms.

The bittersweet aroma of the hot coffee warming up his hands hits him gently when his tired, slow eyes look up at the clock ticking almost 3:30AM; stealing from him a long yet silent yawn.

The comfy, spongy seat under his weight sinks a little bit more as his outworn anatomy accommodates in a better pose; feeling the soft touch of the warm blanket the other half of JJ Project -the mom of the group- had put on his shaking skin.

But Jaebum can’t fall asleep, there’s something fighting against Morpheus’s mighty magic. Something stronger than the God’s power, something greater than any millenary spell or dangerous charm. Something that selfishly keeps him awake… 

…It is that thing   

Piano notes flies beautiful straight to his ears. Piano notes with pure, sweet emotions ringing majestically; forming a romantic yet nostalgic melody that fills his heart with tenderness and makes it jump rapidly when those notes mix with the sound of that thing.

That thing so haunting…

…Youngjae’s soft, sweet voice.

Secretly, Jaebum’s hands leave the steamy coffee cup above the nearest table; tugging the soft blanket up until it covers his mouth and nose, giving like that complete freedom to his sparking brown eyes to watch Youngjae working so fervently with Jinyoung over the piano.

Their bandmate had invited them to come over to work on something the three together, and neither he nor Youngjae could reject Jinyoung’s invitation… and less if that means the two of them could be partially together, at least one time after several days after that afternoon in the practice room.

No one has to be a brilliant genius to know Jaebum didn’t work that much when the prodigy main vocalist and the amazing lead vocalist got to work on lyrics, arranges and those types of terms the leader wasn’t much into it at all just yet. He wasn’t a musician like Jinyoung and he couldn’t interpret music like Youngjae.

There’s a need to have talent to do music. It’s not about to just put good sounds together to make it harmonious, it was beyond that: the passion of a musician it’s clearly audible in its piece if it’s done with the love for music.

Jaebum did  learn how to compose, how to use instruments, how to do the necessary arranges; he even made a song which got into their latest album, but the passion in his heart wasn’t as strong as it should… and that’s what makes him null for those kinds of things.

Writing lyrics was probably the most impossible thing for Jaebum. Putting his emotions in words wasn’t precisely something he could do naturally. Showing his fragile soul to the eyes of the world requires a strong dose of courage. That’s something it cannot be learn in books, that’s something which you born with.

In terms of vocal quality Jaebum lets himself think he is as good as Jinyoung –if not a tad bit better- yet he isn’t as good and powerful as Youngjae. But his voice is peculiar, Jaebum believes. His voice has the magic to show the emotions his own words could never dare to name.

But still, having just one good point against all the burning passion and perfect technique of his bandmates was nothing. So instead of being a bother for the other two boys he chose to sit in some corner and watch them do the magic... because that was all what he can do, watch.

But there was something sounding beautifully nostalgic around the room. Something that for the tiny fraction of a second it made Jaebum forget about how much he was lacking in so many aspects. Something he couldn’t mind to sit and hear all day long. Something that makes him think that maybe it was okay to not be as good as the others…

… Because like that he could be able to hear Youngjae’s voice a lot more.

A soft smiles paints itself on his hided lips thanks to the distant image of Youngjae’s small frown on his eyebrows as he erases something from the paper on the table. The singer’s flawless face was gently illuminated by the light of the lamp at his right, looking so cute when he was concentrated.

His heart was beating fast once again, being flooded with big waves of tenderness and all those warm feelings that remind Jaebum he doesn’t want just Youngjae’s body under his… he wants everything of Youngjae. From his body and mind, to his heart and soul…

…Every single trace which composes his shy and sweet Choi Youngjae, Jaebum wants it all.

He hates that disgustingly selfish part of him, but he knows so well the reason behind his selfishness… he just can’t live without Youngjae.

The younger boy has taken a spot in his life that Jaebum doesn’t know how and doesn’t want to take him out. Youngjae was the pure air he breathes, Youngjae was the blood running warm in his veins, Youngjae was what keep him living… Youngjae was his everything.

It may sound exaggerated, it may sound psycho at some point… but when was love even logical?

-Jaebum hyung, are you asleep?- Jinyoung’s gentle voice takes him out from his deep thoughts, finding not only those small eyes looking at him in the distant, but also a  pair of shy ones as well.

-No, but that music is lulling me little by little…- he answers, not with the entire truth but neither with a lie.

-Oh, well, what if I go to make more coffee and then you come to join us, uh?- Jinyoung wonders in that nice motherly tone Jaebum is so use to hear in moments when he is sick or sad.

He simply nods in respond for his friend when the younger boy walked to him to take the now cold coffee cup near him; feeling the gently touch of a warm hand on his head before Jinyoung walk away and finally out the room.

There was a small moment of silence after the soft noise of the door closing faded away in the air, being replaced with the hushed sound of steps getting closer to him… until well-shaped legs appear in his range of vision, and those small eyes meet with his sleepy ones when Youngjae finally sit down in front of him.

-If you are sleepy you should go to your room, hyung. Your back will hurt tomorrow if you sleep in that thing.- Youngjae comments with a somewhat stern look, but sounding so warmly worried that Jaebum couldn’t help but smile.

-Nah, I want to listing to your voice until I fall asleep.- he answers, so brutally honest, watching how the vocalist’s face blushes for a short instant.

-That’s not fair, I’m tired too. You better work with us when Jinyoung hyung comes back.- Youngjae’s voice sounds soft and calm as always, but even when the boy wasn’t trembling Jaebum could feel clearly how nervous he was.

A soft sigh slips from the leader’s pink lips as he pulls down the blanket a little, watching how those small eyes directly looks down to his mouth when sad words are mumbled from it. –I’m not as good as you and Jinyoung…-

But those sweet eyes quickly look up at his with an odd bothered yet ashamed gaze that makes him shiver. –You are as good as us, hyung. More than good, you are better… why can’t you see it?-

It’s all what Youngjae says, but it’s all what it takes to make Jaebum realize how much Youngjae wants him to believe it, to fight against that part of himself which keeps dragging him down, to not give up… to make this something special for both of them.

-Will you help me?- he wonders with an adorable smile, one of those he hates to show but  knows no one could ignored.

And there’s the reaction he wanted, the singer’s cheeks heating up with a red color burning his soft skin and those white teeth biting that plum bottom lip before forming words with a terribly shy tone on them. –You don’t have to ask, hyung.-

The tender grin on his face got wider at that answer. –Then, will you come here and sing for me?- he asks without other intention than to have Youngjae closer and feel his sweet warmness.

The little bandmate in front of him sighs long and heavy, like if it was so embarrassing that Jaebum only could smile even more when Youngjae turned his eyes away as he slowly moved to his side in the small seat; feeling how it sinks deeper under the new weight of Youngjae.

Jaebum kindly shares his blanket with the younger boy, covering him with the warm fabric even when he already could feel the heat of Youngjae’s body killing any trace of the night 's coldness in his skin.

They were quite close, so close that Jaebum felt the urge to kiss him… but probably he should not do that for a couple of weeks, he should give Youngjae some space to think clearly.

So his dark, tired eyes close; fighting back that need to tastes those plump lips one more time. –Sing to me…- he just whispers, feeling his bandmate hot breath clashing nicely against his own.

 Short seconds hang in the air around them after his words, only being break by Youngjae’s  deep breath and mild sigh in the end.

That soft and sweet voice pass through his ears, directly to his heart, making it jump crazily in love. Words weren’t important to him; all it matters is Youngjae’s sweet voice filling with tenderness every single corner of his fragile soul… making his body tremble because of the nice feeling of love burning in him thanks to Youngjae.

In odd moments like this is when Jaebum lets himself dream about the day his ears could hear Youngjae’s mellow voice saying ‘I love you’ to him.

But before he could finally go to that dreamland that beautiful voice turns off and there are soft lips pressing against his own. Sweet lips kissing him kind and shyly, making his heart explode in the most excited happiness.

-Youngjae…- is all what he mumbles once that mouth leaved his own alone.

And all what he heard between Morpheus’s slumber netting was a low whisper saying secret words which made his tired body twitch with warm shocks of electricity.

-Hyung, I love you… please tell me you feel the same.-

But probably Jaebum was already dreaming…

…Because it was too good to be true.