Fallen

Lucifer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 13 – Fallen

 

* * * *

 

Jinri placed the phone back on the hook and she scribbled down information from her previous phone call. She checked the other events that Minho needed to attend in the next week or so. Her attention was pulled away when Jonghyun came to stand before her with a usual, cheerful smile on his face. Jinri gladly returned the smile but it swiftly dropped from her face as she took a long look at the man.

What was he? Jonghyun was so close to Minho, of course he had to be some sort of demon as well. The curiosity of the question slipped away from her mind a few times when she wanted to ask Minho. Not that she forgot but Minho's wandering hands over the past few days since they had been together just always distracted her.

"Something wrong?" Asked Jonghyun, blinking in confusion because of her openly staring.

"Ah...oh, no, sorry."

Jonghyun tucked his hands into pockets, amusement dancing in his eyes. "I know I'm drop dead y but it's a little rude to stare like that."

Jinri rolled her eyes as her smile returned to her pretty. "No, that isn't it."

Jonghyun's brows rose. "You basically just said that I wasn't drop dead y."

"Alright, I'll give you a little bit of y then." Teased Jinri with a playful smile.

Jonghyun was ready to continue flirting before he remembered that she now belonged to Minho. He looked over his shoulder when he saw Jinri's attention was no longer on him but her gaze travel past him to land on a guy. Jonghyun snapped his fingers. "Ah, I almost forgot. He's the new guy. His name is Kibum."

Jinri continued to eye the pale man, her brows rising in surprise when his eyes caught hers. He shared a glance with Jonghyun before smiling gently at her, going back to the conversation he was holding with another co-worker.

"He seems nice." Said Jinri.

"He can be a pain in the ." Said Jonghyun.

"You know him?"

"Very well."

"He looks so young." Said Jinri as she observed loudly.

Jonghyun laughed. "Don't let him catch you saying that. He hates that he looks younger than he really is and he hates it when anyone calls him 'kid'."

"So, how old is he really?"

Jonghyun didn't think Jinri would ask that. He made a thoughtful face for a moment before answering, if he still had his Angel status, Kibum would be over 500 years old. "Twenty-three." He told her. "Minho actually likes him. He treats him better than me."

"Because you hardly do any work." Said Jinri softly, flashing him a smile. "What are you doing right now?"

"Nothing."

Jinri chuckled. "See?" She stood up from her comfortable navy blue seat, smoothing out her skirt, grabbing her purse afterwards.

Jonghyun glanced at the clock placed on her desk. "Out for a lunch date? With Minho?"

Her smile widened. "Yes but the lunch date is with my brother. He's meeting me at the small restaurant right down the street. Want me to bring anything back for you?"

"No, it's fine." Answered Jonghyun. "Right, I hear your brother started walking."

"Yes. He's been running around nonstop, walking around the mall with his friends, who is just as happy as I am about him walking. He even participated in gym. It's just really...it's great." Replied Jinri, her eyes danced in happiness.

Jonghyun saw the excitement that she felt, practically bouncing off of her in waves. He continued watching her as she organized her desk a bit and she waved at him before leaving. Now seeing how genuinely happy she was, he really hoped that it could stay that way forever.

 

- - - -

 

Jinwoo looked through the menu with a smile on his face as they sat outside with the wind blowing gently. Jinri tucked loose strands behind her ears as she smiled as well at her brother before reading through her menu. She made a face when she couldn't make up her mind, nothing really grabbing her interest to have for lunch. She took a sip of her lemonade, looking at her younger brother.

"I don't think you've ever stopped smiling yet." Pointed out Jinri as people were chattering quietly around them.

"Of course not." Replied Jinwoo, looking up from his menu. Noticed the smile on his sister's face, he gave in. "Well, I can walk again, even though I was told a countless number of times that I wouldn't ever be able to do it again. I think I can probably get a car and drive but I haven't brought it up to mom yet. By the way, are you two doing okay?"

Jinri faltered her smile as she shook her head. "Nothing has changed between us. She seems to want us to be close or whatever but no thanks. She thinks that she can suddenly come back into my life and act like she cares? That seems a little fake to me."

"She brought you up at dinner last night. Something about her wondering when you were going to marry Hyunwoo hyung and stop living in sin." Said Jinwoo and he rolled his eyes. "And I didn't know how to reply her when I haven't seen him around since forever."

"We broke up." Jinri informed her brother, explaining what had happened before even he could ask.

Jinwoo looked confused, not understanding why Hyunwoo would cheat on his sister when other guys couldn't wait to get their hands on her. "No one dare to hurt my sister. Want me to take care of him? I know people, noona."

Jinri laughed out loud. "Oh really now?"

"I do! Or I can take one last spin in my wheelchair, somehow get him onto the ground and run him over a few times."

"I'm sure that wouldn't do much damage to him."

"It doesn't hurt to try though."

The waiter came back to take their orders, Jinri asked what he was ordering and decided to get the same thing. They ate and talked quietly among themselves, Jinwoo talked about girls, sports and how he was doing in school until it came to the time to leave.

Jinwoo stood up, kissing his older sister on her cheek as they stood closely. He gave her a smile. "Just think about coming over and having dinner with us sometime, noona. It's nice to feel like a normal family once in a while."

Jinri sighed. "It'd be even greater if dad would actually step into the house."

"As if mom would have that. She'll throw such a hissy fit." Said Jinwoo. "Btw, have you talked to dad?"

"Not really."

"I actually have and he wants you to call him. He wants to know how you're doing and if you need any money from him. Dad wants to have lunch or dinner sometime, just the three of us. So give him a call, okay?" Said Jinwoo.

Jinri knew that Jinwoo missed having their real father around and she did as well. She nodded, giving him a small smile. "I'll do some thinking about the whole dinner thing with mom and her husband but I'll definitely give dad a call when I get the chance, okay?"

"Okay. Promise?"

"Yeah, yeah."

"Great way to close a promise." Jinwoo kissed her cheek once more. "Have fun at work." He turned walking away, throwing a wave to her along with a glance over his shoulder.

Jinri smiled as she lifted a hand as well waving as she watched him walk away from her, dropping her hand to her side when he fully disappeared in the busy crowd. She sighed loudly, turning around to only bump into someone, a hand grabbing her upper arm. Startled, Jinri looked up and her eyes widened briefly as she stared up at her ex-boyfriend.

Hyunwoo let go of her arm with a small, forced smile, slipping his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Hi."

Jinri awkwardly cleared , dropping her gaze to the ground momentarily. "Hi, Hyunwoo."

"Jinri, can we talk?" Blurted Hyunwoo, wanting to get straight to the point with her.

"About what?"

"About a lot of things." Said Hyunwoo. "Between us." His eyes pleading as he stared at her.

Checking her watch quickly, Jinri flipped her hair over her shoulder before passing him. "I have to get to work. I don't have the time--" She stopped speaking when his firm hand grabbed her slender wrist, stopping her. Her shoulders slouched as she stood there in silence with him, finally looking over her shoulder with a small frown on her face. Her arm dropped back to her side once his hand slipped away, running through his messy hair.

"Then find time, okay?" Said Hyunwoo and he sighed. "What about after you're off of work? How about then? I can stop by your place later."

Jinri sighed. "Is there really anything to talk about?"

"Yes! Oh god Jinri! You stormed out of my apartment without hearing anything I had to say." Hyunwoo bit out, his eyes narrowing as he took a step closer to her, trying to keep his voice under control. He didn't want to cause a scene in front of everyone walking around. "So, again, what about after you're off of work?"

"Sure." Replied Jinri before she thought the answer thoroughly, only sighing inwardly after she spoke it. She noticed his tense body relaxed and a lopsided smile appeared. "I'll call you later today." She added before walking away from him, giving him a final glance over her shoulder.

 

- - - -

 

Jinri entered Minho's office with the planner in her hand. She stood before his desk as she handed it to him, watching as Minho leaned back in his chair to read through what she had written down.

Minho merely glimpsed over it all, his eyes lifting to glance at Jinri for a short time as her eyes traveled to all of the paintings on his wall. She was a big distraction and Minho found himself couldn't pay attention on his work at all when she was around. He found her entering his thoughts when he least expected it, something that he found bothersome.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter