the universe is ours

retrograde and fall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung draws her brush across canvases with hues of different colours dipped in it. She paints across the hard surface of the canvas with so much honesty and gentleness, as if a bird by the head.

She also draws across canvases with her palms and fingers whenever her brush can't deliver the pressure she meant to give. Sometimes, Sooyoung paints on humans with their body parts as the canvas, painting faces with acrylic hues. She rarely does it as she finds no thrill in drawing upon so^meone's piece of art. It is not her own, and therefore falls empty in her hands.

"Why did you choose me?" In the promise of love, Sooyoung was honest with all of her questions. This is the second time she had asked this to the partner of her life. The first was when he told her he loved her the first time. Sooyoung didn't budge and stayed in her position, sitting in a stool facing her canvas, eyes still on her drawing which had started to take its form. The window was opened in front of her, occasionally paying a visit with gentle breezes here and there. "Why did you choose me to love?"

Her model who had retained his pose for a long time in a consideration for his lover were laid below the window, all sprawled and body facing her, except of his face which was propped by his palm and fingers to face the front. He shifted his head and moved his attention to her, now all of his disposition facing her, slightly startled but not surprised. With the littlest amount of clothing covering his body, he remains unbothered but choose to relent for her art.

Brown hair falling over softly molded face, he gazed and gazed at her as if attempting to bring the heavens down to her knees. "I don't need a reason. I just do," Jungwoo breathed, forcing himself to not move to her. He sighed dreamily, "This world wouldn't matter without you." Words that mean the entire world sounded light when it came out of his voice, as if loving her has been his duty from the beginning.

He waited. He waited for her to say it back. That magic word. But he knew she wouldn't. She never threw around that word very much. Sooyoung and her coldness that makes his hands go numb at times. Yet it was also something that made him feel the entire sun inside of his body at times when she looked at him like no other being in the world.

But Sooyoung wanted to say it. She felt both happy and sad at the same time whenever she heard it. Because she knew that one day she will have to let him go yet at the same time, she was thoroughly grateful she has someone who are willing to let her become their universe. Sometimes, when her thoughts were so loud she couldn't sleep, Sooyoung would open her eyes and just look at the man sleeping soundly beside her.

"One day, this realm we carefully build will be mothing but a distant memory in your head," she whispered one night while he was fast asleep with her hand on his chest.

She didn't want to smoke when he was around because she knew that he hated that part of her. She just looked at him and dare not to touch him, in fear of waking him up or making herself more sadder and breaking into tears just by the thought of her letting him go. Because if Jungwoo is going to leave, Sooyoung would never stop him. She has accepted the very fact that she was meant to be alone, that people come and leave, and the fact he had chosen her so willingly was just a gift.

"I'm betting that you had said that to all the previous artists who have painted you," This time, she turned to look at him to take in all the features for another brush of a paint. But also, just to see his reaction. She expected no less than a sarcastic laugh. That was how they manage to be together; when she brought up things that put the lights out, he will become bright for them.

That day, what she heard was silence and a drop in his expression. Sooyoung believed that Jungwoo was a free soul and that he was not here to stay. 

"No," he sighed, fingers messing over brown locks. "Not this. No." he uttered, placing his hand over his chest while giving her a meaningful look. This is not something people can tell him otherwise. Not even Sooyoung herself. This is his own feelings.

Amongst all the things and people he loves, he loves her the most compared to all the brightest things in the world.

Sooyoung turned away to her canvas, nearing closer with head bent, hair falling over her face to hide the quake in her lips. She took a deep breathe, and placed her brush back.

"Let's take a break. It's been an hour already. You must be tired," Sooyoung uttered out loud, gingerly walking away from him.

Jungwoo rose from the floor, holdin onto the towel around his waist, concern swirling around his voice. Worry and panick that he had hurt her. "Where are you going?"

"Just to the bathroom," she avoided his eyes and soon disappeared from the room.

Closing the door and locking it behind her, Sooyoung slided down the floor and drew her knees close like a child. There were moments she felt like the loneliest person in the world. This was one of those moments. Some were when she questioned if her friends were really her friends or she was just there for the sake of filling an empty space, if she was a disgrace to her family for following her dream instead of her parents', if one day someone would find her lovable. Today added to this miserable moments; does she deserve to be loved, with this kind of mind? does he really love her? feelings are one of the things she can't comprehend, so fleeting that she can't grasp reasons for with. what is the reason for someone to stay for so long with someone other than reciprocation? does selflessness really exist? Soothing just feels like disappearing and being swallowed by the swirling questions in the depths of her mind.

A gaping hole formed in the pit of her stomach. A tear slided down her face, followed by another and Sooyoung bites down on her lips, silencing the cries wanting to rip out of her lips.

"Don't cry. Please don't cry," Sooyoung could hear him from outside of the door, gentle voice whispering gently. "Please don't hide yourself from me."

Sooyoung first met him in the first year of college. He was her upperclassmen, a musical class student beau well known across the college for his good looks and his reputation as a model. A lot of people have drawn their own versions of him, and perhaps have their share of love with him. She didn't bat an eyelid towards him upon hearing this. There was a challenge to draw him in her own art, but she refused to do whatever everyone else was doing. She strived to create art that has never been realized. If she were to use some model, it would be someone unique in her eyes. 

"Can you draw me?" He had accidentally stumbled into the studio room and happened to see her painting there. Sooyoung was listening to music as she painted and she didn't hear him at all. It took a tap on the shoulder to snap her out.

Sooyoung irritatingly put off her earphone and turned to him. "Excuse me?"

"Can you draw me?" He repeated again. He was a bit baffled by her response then he realised that he had never seen her before. She must be a freshman, he thought.


"I'm not available to draw people now," she replied curtly, without even sharing a glance at him.

A raised eyebrow aimed at her as Jungwoo was never refused. Most of the times, people had gone to him for his assistance. There were only rare occasions when he asked them first just because he really loved their art. "Are you sure? It's difficult to get people to model for you, you know. Everybody wants it, also."

She stopped and turn all of her attention to him now. Jungwoo can finally have a clear look on her face. "I'm not doing what everybody is doing," she states sternly, staring straight at him.

"Then what are you here for?" Jungwoo could be irritated at that moment, but he chose to be intrigued. He marveled at every occurring beauty that happened all around him. At that moment, he was just simply intrigued by her words and the light coming through the window bathing over a lad of her face, her skin covered in light with light brown orbs glaringly glowed at him. 

"I am here to redefine my life," as she said this, flashes of her dead younger sister smiling at her passed before her eyes. 

Jungwoo just simply loved humans, but perhaps he will love this one a whole lot more, it is what he had determined on that day. 

And it is what has become of them.

Jungwoo never thought he would treasure her this much, this deeply that he had drawn her figure in his head to be beside him permanently. He was hopeless and in love with someone with such a complex soul. 

Sometimes, Jungwoo wondered why would Sooyoung want to accept someone like him, a washed out model whose uniqueness pale in comparison to what she probably seeks, not one who models for worldly pleasures and superficiality when she was so noble with her purposes and visions.  

Because all Jungwoo knows all along was how to love, to disintegrate himself in the process of it and be drowned in what feelings that rose inside. He bared himself to those whom he wished to receive love from. But perhaps, this helplessness was because all his p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter