Level 7: Homecoming

It's Game On

From the very minute Taeyeon had groggily taken a step into the kitchen that morning, and was greeted by Tiffany’s usual winning eye-smile by the stove. The stove. (She had to do a double take at that.) She didn’t even have to think twice, she instinctively knew.

 

Today was finally the day.

 

Tiffany had even taken the initiative to do breakfast that morning, which was just… completely… It just blew Taeyeon’s mind apart. Because. She knew for fact that the redhead always, always slept in at any opportunity she had and was never up till eleven or noon. So to see her standing, all bright and chirpy at eight in the morning was certainly something to be worth surprised of.

 

For the most part, Taeyeon would have said their morning was thankfully… uneventful.

 

Because having Tiffany in the kitchen usually spelt trouble.

 

Taeyeon was right in the midst of wondering how the redhead hadn’t yet burnt half their house off when the resounding ‘ding’ of the oven echoed through the kitchen.

 

Ah, no wonder the kitchen was still intact.

 

Granted, Tiffany wasn’t particularly… gifted in the art of culinary cooking, but she definitely had some crazy mad skills at baking. Especially cookies. And cupcakes. Especially blueberry cupcakes with lots of icing on it. Mmm...

 

But she digressed. So long as Tiffany was involved in anything consisting of frying, boiling, cutting, chopping and etcetera, ninety-nine-percent of the time, it usually led to a burnt kitchen.

 

“Smells good, what are you baking?” asked Taeyeon, casually sliding into a seat by the dining table. She eyed the redhead who was fumbling with getting her baked goods out of the oven. “Or what have you baked?”

 

Then again, she should have probably seen this coming— this whole, waking up and going on a baking craze this early on in the morning thing. After all, today was a special day. The day everyone’s been looking forward to.

 

Yuri and Jessica’s homecoming.

 

“Cupcakes!” Tiffany grinned, setting down the large tray of said cupcakes down onto the table before Taeyeon.

 

She could just feel it. The electricity of excitement and anticipation buzzing through the air. See it in Tiffany’s eyes as they glowed a little brighter than usual.

 

Taeyeon swallowed. “Blueberry cupcakes?”

 

“We could make a few if you want to.” Tiffany beamed, eyes twinkling down at her.

 

Taeyeon pursed her lips and shot up in her chair, declaring loudly. “I want lots of icing on mine!”

 

Tiffany laughed, shedding off her cooking mittens. “Yes, yes. You can have all the icing you want, Taengoo-yah. Just get your over here and help me decorate the rest of the cupcakes.”

 

And Taeyeon immediately scrambled over to Tiffany’s side, grinning like a gleefully little kid. Needless to say, they spent the rest of the morning decorating cupcakes and snacking on them afterwards.

 

Then again, on second thought, their morning had been an eventful one after all.

 

Blueberry cupcakes for breakfast? Definitely eventful.

 

But really, the whole morning, Taeyeon couldn’t help herself. She had been so excited, her lips kept on curling, grinning and smiling. And she knew for sure, if she smiled anymore, her face was probably going to be stuck in place like this for the rest of the day.

 

Not that she minded. Today was a special day and she would smile as much as she wanted. As wide as she wanted to. And no one was going to stop her.

 

However, as soon as the clock struck twelve and noon gradually wafted in, a sense of restlessness had come washing over them.

 

Having migrated from the kitchen to the living room after an extremely long breakfast that went on forever and making sure to stow the remaining cupcakes safely away for later, they tried to stay true to their weekend routine. Tried.

 

The television was switched on and Taeyeon was sitting at her usual spot on the couch with a book in hand while Tiffany claimed the other end of the couch, lounging as she watched whatever that was on at the moment.

 

Taeyeon let loose a sigh.

 

She had lost count to how many times she had skimmed through the same paragraph over the past twenty minutes or so. Nothing stayed long enough to register and the words just seemed to bounce off her. Right after the clock had hit its half hour mark, she had completely given up on reading and took to watching (or at least pretending to watch) television with Tiffany, whom, at a closer glance, didn’t seem quite into it as well.

 

Periodically, glancing down at her phone and checking her nails, Taeyeon noticed that she didn’t look particularly interested in whatever that was showing and appeared to be more distracted than anything else.

 

There was a quiet, nervous underlying anticipation hanging in the air.

 

Not so subtle glances were thrown at the clock and every so often someone would look up expectantly at the door, just waiting for something to happen.

 

It was only at three-fifteen, when the doorbell finally rang.

 

Without missing a beat, Taeyeon and Tiffany had both leapt to their feet, scrambling in a frenzy to be the first to reach the door.

 

“Hi guys— whoa!”

 

“Yuree!” As soon as the door was flung open, Tiffany had caught the tanned brunette, whom they’d so dearly missed, in a spine-crushing hug and nearly tipped her off balance.  “Oh my gosh, we’ve missed you guys so much. How have you been?”

 

Immediately, there was a clearing of throat.

 

“Good. Maybe a little jet-lagged… Now, it would be nice if you could please let go of my girlfriend.” The smaller brunette of the two gritted out testily, an all too familiar icy tremor hanging off her voice.

 

And reluctantly, Tiffany withdrew her arms around Yuri before turning to the shorter, fairer brunette standing beside the Black Pearl. She flashed a toothy grin, eyes twinkling playfully as she shrugged non-apologetically.

 

“Oops, sorry.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes, frowning.

 

“Get yourself another ‘Yuree’, this one’s mine.”  Possessively, she slung her arms round the Black Pearl’s waist and drew her lover closer to emphasize her point.

 

Tiffany pouted. “Can’t we share her?”

 

The Ice Princess shot her a withering look to which the redhead responded by bursting into a large lopsided grin, laughing. “I’m just kidding, Jessi’. She’s all yours.”

 

 “Well, obviously.” Jessica replied matter-of-factly, gently squeezing her girlfriend by the waist.

 

Yuri briefly flashed Jessica an adoring look before turning to Taeyeon and Tiffany, grinning. “Well, we’ve missed you guys too.”

 

“Come on in, you two,” Taeyeon gestured, holding the door a little wider as she took a step back alongside with Tiffany. A huge grin tugged at her lips. “Hope you love cupcakes. We baked some earlier this morning while waiting for you guys.”

 

“Oh right, and welcome back to Korea!”

 

 

--

 

“So you’ll be sleeping in Taeyeon’s room for the next couple of days.” Tiffany released a long breath after much heaving of their guests’ suitcases into the room.

 

“It’d be much appreciated if you would refrain from doing anything… ‘weird’ on my bed, thanks.” Taeyeon added wryly, making a face and grunting as she placed the last of the couple’s luggage down neatly by the side of the room.

 

“We’ll try,” replied Yuri with a cheeky grin.

 

The shorter brunette shot her a death glare.

 

Yuri laughed and threw her hands up in surrender.

 

“Nah, don’t worry. We’ll spare your bed. If we’re going to be doing anything ‘weird’, it’ll be in the showers… or on the couch maybe and— Ouch!”

 

The Black Pearl let out a whimper, rubbing at her sore side as the Ice Princess beside her harrumphed noisily, looking very much red in the face with the tips of her ears glowing a dark shade of pink.

 

“We won’t do anything, we promise.”

 

Pursing her lips, Taeyeon raised an amused brow. “Well, that’s… somewhat comforting to know.”

 

If it was even possible, Jessica blushed a shade deeper.

 

“Hey, why don’t we all head back outside and catch up over some late lunch and cupcakes, hm?” interjected Tiffany, ushering everyone out of the room with a cheery smile. Obviously doing some damage control.

 

Taeyeon could tell, just from the stiffness in her cheeks as she smiled, that she was, in fact, a little uneasy about the whole thing. Nonetheless, Taeyeon was very much grateful to be saved from a potentially very awkward discussion.

 

“Nice apartment, by the way,” hummed Yuri, during the journey across the living room to the kitchen. They took a quick pause to appreciate the layout of furniture and décor properly.

 

Jessica nodded in agreement, eyes sweeping past every nook and cranny of their home musingly, adding. “It’s very… you.”

 

“Very ‘us’?” blinked Taeyeon, perturbed.

 

The Ice Princess rolled her shoulders nonchalantly and flashed Taeyeon an enigmatic smirk. "I guess,”

 

 “Speaking of which, where’s Sooyoungie?” Yuri piped in, peering about curiously, probably expecting their tall, lanky friend to pop up at them in surprise.

 

“Ah, she has to tend to the café today. She says she’ll join us tomorrow though.”

 

“And here I was thinking that she wouldn’t pass up an opportunity for free food.”

 

“I bet she’ll be whining about it tomorrow.”

 

Giggles and chuckles resounded through the living room, growing faint as the group shifted over to the kitchen, leaving Taeyeon free to linger behind.

 

She casted their living room a good long glance.

 

Her eyes fell upon the small coffee table, littered over with fashion magazines and issues of reader digests. The large bookshelf to the corner of the room; with its lower shelves housing thick, encyclopedia-like books and the upper shelves housing books for lighter reading— like Sophie Kinsella, Nicholas Sparks, Meg Cabot and the whole Twilight saga.

 

She remembered the fight they had while trying to decide who got the upper shelves and what not. It lasted for a solid three days as a silent war raged on. However, it eventually came to an end with a compromise on both sides, whereby they would both share the middle shelf while Taeyeon took the lower few shelves.

 

Tiffany’s ever so logical reason: Because she was shorter.    

 

And that, Taeyeon could not deny. But at least she need not stand on tiptoes to reach for her scientific books, that god knows, were thick as heck, so that was a plus.

 

But she digressed.

 

There was the ‘boring brown couch’, as Tiffany so lovingly referred it to, with the pink hello-kitty cushions by its sides to ‘spice things up’. Though inwardly, Taeyeon liked the couch as it was — without the cushions— but considering how Tiffany would go on and on about how dull her tastes were, she would never admit that out loud.

 

And her favorite armchair with one of her dookong peas sitting atop it, grinning away happily.

 

A small smile crossed Taeyeon’s lips as she noted down the tiny details of their small, but cozy little living room.

 

Well, two years of living together, it was only natural that there’ll be a mix of different styles.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, we’re going to start without you.”

 

She turned to the direction of the lilting voice where she was then met with an all too familiar face peeking around the corner. A teasing smile was spotted across Tiffany’s lips, her eyes twinkling down at Taeyeon, and just she couldn’t resist smiling back.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’m coming.”

 

--

 

 

“They’re all Korean dishes. Thought you guys might like something that taste of home after being away for so long, y’know?” said Taeyeon, sheepishly with a smile as she watched their guests survey the platter that was laid out in front of them.

 

“They look really good, Taeyeon!”

 

“My mouth’s watering already. Sooyoungie has no idea what she’s missing out on.”

 

“Told you they’ll like it, didn’t I?” Tiffany shot her wink and nudged her lightly in the ribs, the ends of her lips quirking into a playful smile.

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “Come on, let’s dig in already.”

 

Immediately, everyone assented and before long, the soft clinking of chopsticks against bowls filled the room. For a while, they ate quietly, relishing the food in silence. Though, every now and then, a compliment about the food was thrown and Taeyeon would murmur a soft thanks and blush in accordance. Eventually, the languid conversations began to roll in and food was no longer the main concern.

 

“So how’s things been for you two?”

 

Yuri gave a shrug, grinning as she took in a mouthful of rice. “Well, I think I’ve mentioned this more than enough times during our skype chats already, but Marine Biology has been nothing but fun for me. Surprisingly.” She said, in between bites.

 

“That’s only because you enjoy it.” Jessica said, with a smile.

 

“Of course I do!”

 

“So, Jessi’…” Tiffany trailed off, directing the table’s attention onto the Ice Princess, whom merely raised a brow and passed the redhead a curious glance.

 

“How’s majoring in Mass Communication been so far?” She asked, flashing an innocuous smile. Taeyeon thought she sounded a tad too casual about the whole thing, considering it was a… touchy subject to bring about in front of Jessica.

 

The Ice Princess paused, setting her chopsticks down while she mulled over for a response. She pursed her lips pensively.

 

“Well, I actually quite like the doing up of articles aspect of it. It’s fun, to me.” She shrugged, a slight smile on her lips. “Mom’s been supportive and so is Dad. I guess you could say that everything’s good for once. And I’m pretty contented over it.”

 

The redhead beamed, blinding pearly whites reveling against her lips. “That’s great, Jessi’!” She gushed.

 

The Ice Princess offered a small, bashful smile and Taeyeon thought Tiffany positively glowed at that.

 

And it somehow left a bitter taste in , which she quickly washed down with water and soup.

 

“Well, enough about us. Fill us in to what we’ve missed back in Korea!” Yuri said, more like demanded, with a playful grin.

 

“Hmm, you haven’t really missed much. Well, maybe except that Sooyoung’s manning the café alone now, since her parents are off for their second honeymoon. So she’s a lot busier. And Taeng had recently decided to do part-time to help her out.”

 

“I’d honestly thought you wouldn’t even have time taking up part-time, Taeyeon-ah. Biochem major and all…” Jessica nodded musingly, impressed.

 

Taeyeon blushed faintly. “Nah, I’m not that busy. Really.”

 

“Oh, she is. She just manages her time very well.” Tiffany added, looking to Taeyeon, grinning broadly. “I have no idea how she does it some times, I’ve seen her schedule and it’s crazy intense. You’ve got to see her during ‘hell week’, she’s like perfectly calm while I’m over there rushing out drafts like there’s no tomorrow!”

 

“You’re embarrassing me, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon mumbled, though it didn’t really stop the ends of her lips from curling into a small smile.

 

The conversations that followed on were lighthearted, and it was probably the first time, dinner had dragged on for so long. Inside jokes were cracked and laughter were bouncing off the walls. Amusing stories from the US and Korea were shared and everything was going swell…

 

Until, someone made the mistake of bringing up the topic of Jessica’s younger sister, Krystal.

 

“You know for one second, I almost thought we had to bring that little monster back to Korea with us. When she said they were close, I seriously had no idea…” Yuri groaned, burrowing her face into her palms.

 

Taeyeon turned to Tiffany, and they both shared a brief, nervous look of unease at the direction the conversation was heading to. The redhead flashed a small tentative smile, which Taeyeon thought was probably meant to look reassuring to no avail. She seemed just as uncomfortable as Taeyeon was.

 

“Yuri…” Jessica sighed, picking at her rice as she rolled her eyes exasperatedly, in a way that suggested this situation had played out slightly more than once already. But knowing Yuri. Stubborn Yuri. They had probably gone over this more than thrice now.

 

“Sica, I know I’ve said this a million times, but I really think your sister has some sort of a complex on you.”

 

Another sigh.

 

“No, she does not. She’s just… really protective of me. Look, can we just drop this?”

 

“No seriously, Sica. The way she is towards you is waay beyond protective. Really.”

 

“Baby…”

 

“Forgive me for ranting, but that precious sister of yours is always never leaving us alone. Never. And it’s been a such long time since we’ve last— Mmph!”

 

“The bulgoggi is pretty good, right?” Jessica hummed, a coy smile teasing the corners of her lips, eyes glinting knowingly at the tanner brunette beside her.

 

The Black Pearl could only chew on furiously— indignantly— glaring back down at her lover. Upon swallowing, she parted her lips, her retort hot on her tongue when instantly; a chopstick full of rice was shoved into again.

 

“It’s weird that everything tastes a lot better when the person you love is feeding you, hm?”

 

Yuri wrinkled her nose in disdain but grunted in acquiescence nonetheless, chewing with her cheeks filled with food.

 

Jessica smiled.

 

And instantly, Taeyeon felt the shivers creeping down her spine at the familiarity of it. Of how it closely reminded her of Tiffany’s one too many devious, scheming grins.

 

The fairer brunette leaned in towards the Black Pearl and whispered something into her ear, lips moving quickly against her cheek, her arm instinctively coiling around her lover’s arm, drawing them closer.

 

When Taeyeon caught the faint blush blossoming onto Yuri’s cheeks, she had wasted no time in averting her eyes back down onto her bowl of rice, taking an uncomfortable sip of her soup. Her eyes shifted briefly to Tiffany, whom she realized was looking at the couple with an amused twinkle in the eye.

 

“So don’t be mad, okay? Here, Yuri-yah, ‘ahh’.” The Ice Princess crooned sweetly and Yuri obliged, huffing and jutting her bottom lip out in defeat as she chewed at her food.

 

Jessica grinned triumphantly, gently tousling the Black Pearl’s raven locks like a pet— a sullen puppy. However, the smile on the Ice Princess’ face quickly faded, eyes widening in surprise and confusion when chopsticks were held in front of her, rice lodged between, as a tanned face smirked right back at her.

 

“It’s your turn, Sica-yah. Say ‘ah’.”

 

Jessica blinked, and when her eyes finally caught on to the two onlookers that were watching them with thinly veiled amusement, she flushed.

 

“Sica? My hand’s getting tired,” Yuri said, liltingly, smirking devilishly down at her girlfriend.

 

Frowning and blushing furiously at that point, Jessica complied and parted her lips to be fed, albeit abashedly.

 

And the dominator became the dominated.

 

Taeyeon idly wondered if Yuri could maybe share some tips on turning the tide in situations like these.  Glancing briefly at the redhead beside her, she was struck by the smile that she wore, made wistful by the near imperceptible glint of longing in her eyes as she watched the couple before them.

 

And somehow, that seemed to stir something deep within Taeyeon. Something she wished that she could just simply ignore and pretend it didn’t exist.

 

But she knew she couldn’t.

 

Finally noticing a pair of eyes on her, Tiffany turned and flashed Taeyeon a blinding, megawatt grin.

 

All at once, the unease in her chest ceased and it felt like a soothing balm was being applied to her heart— to her entire being. And it made Taeyeon want to lose herself in that sappy, woozy feeling.

 

 Taeyeon smiled crookedly back at her.

 

“Hey, Taeyeon-ah,”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Feed me too,”

 

Her smile fell. She shot the redhead an incredulous look, cheeks burning as she managed to sputter out a response. “W-what?”

 

And there was that foxy smile and that guileful glint in her eyes. She prodded at Taeyeon, simpering. “Feed me,” she repeated, pouting.

 

Taeyeon could feel the heat on her cheeks intensifying, eyes widening in alarm as she looked to the couple, who was still very much preoccupied with their silent battle to outdo each other, and then back to Tiffany who currently was giving her those hopeful, large puppy eyes.

 

She had so very nearly caved in. Nearly.

 

Deep breaths, Taeyeon. You can do this.

 

Inhaling deeply— and calming her rapidly beating heart— Taeyeon pursed her lips and tore her eyes away from the redhead, directing her attention back onto her half-eaten bowl of rice before her.

 

“You’ve got a working pair of arms, I don’t see why you can’t feed yourself, Fany-ah.”

 

She heard Tiffany let out a huff and inwardly crossed her fingers, praying that she would let it go at that.

 

But knowing her…

 

“Taeyeonie… Please?” Tiffany implored.

 

Said brunette heeded her no mind and resumed eating.

 

“Taengoo?”

 

A sigh and an inhale.

 

“Tae-Ta—”

 

She felt the vein by her temple gave throb.

 

“Happy now?” Taeyeon sighed, shoving a chopstick of rice into Tiffany’s unsuspecting mouth and efficiently cutting her off. She smirked, unable to help herself from feeling the bubbling satisfaction of catching the redhead off guard.

 

Tiffany blinked, astonished by the unexpected turn of events. Slowly, she gave a nod, chewing and then swallowing down whatever that was in .

 

“Do you want more?” Taeyeon asked and without even waiting for Tiffany’s response, she had already picked up some random side dish and raised it up in front of her.

 

For once, a flash of hesitancy fleeted through those dark, brown eyes and Taeyeon felt a sense of accomplishment swelling in her as Tiffany took another bite from her chopsticks in meek admission with a faint blush painting her across cheeks.

 

“How cute,”

 

Taeyeon froze and stiffly spun towards the direction of the couple who was apparently looking at them with raised brows and teasing smirks.

 

Without missing a beat, she retracted her chopsticks away and cleared awkwardly, straightening her back with a heated blush hot on her cheeks.

 

She swore, she had never been this embarrassed before.

 

“How was it? We were just trying to give you two a taste of your own medicine. Are you puking and farting out rainbows yet?” inquired Tiffany with a mischievous grin plastered across her face as she sent them a wink, having recovered from her stupor in time for a witty comeback.

 

When the only response was an awkward silence, followed by the hopeless opening and closing of mouths to string out something comprehensible from the flushed couple sitting across them at the dining table, Taeyeon knew that Tiffany had won this battle. Yet once again.

 

Score one for team TaeTi.