Level 2: Old Faces

It's Game On

 

 

“And so… Can you believe that I’m now stuck playing this game with her?”

“Bet, you mean,” corrected Sooyoung in an ever so calm and relaxed manner. Without even bothering to lift her head up to spare Taeyeon a glance, she had gone down rows after rows, wiping down some of the vacant tables of the café. And it only served to unnerve the shorter brunette all the more.

“Bet, game, whatever! Just how am I supposed to find a boyfriend in six months?” Taeyeon threw her hands up in the air exasperatedly and sank down into one of the stools by the counter, after realizing how pointless it was for her to be shadowing the taller girl for the past fifteen minutes. With her shoulders slumped and her posture hunched over, she looked very much like a deflated balloon after her long fiery rant.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Sooyoung casted the brunette a long side-way glance and shook her head with a slight smile, amused at the sudden switch of roles for the day. In most occasions, it was Taeyeon who would be sitting down, all cool and collected like a cucumber. Not pacing about after her like some lost puppy, and looking all jittery and worried over some… silly ‘game’. Then again, the only person who could ever break the girl’s renowned levelheadedness was none other than a certain… somebody. Hm.

“Six months is a really long time, Taeng. Just relax and take a chill-pill.” She waved her off carelessly, casually sauntering her way over to the shorter brunette. And as did so, she also caught sight of the clock hanging overhead.

Hm, the peak hour tide would be hitting them soon.

“A long time? Six months will be over in a blink of an eye, Sooyoungie! Just like how it only felt like yesterday when we were all in high school, and now? Fany and I are in college, Yuri and Sica are studying abroad in the States and you’re manning your own café! Six months will be over before we even know it!”

“I wouldn’t be manning the café if my parents weren’t out of town…” Sooyoung rolled her eyes, then pursed her lips and sighed as she maneuvered around the counter, standing before a sulky brunette and grinned, “But never mind that. Come on, I’ll make you an original brew to liven up your spirits.”

Taeyeon sighed bitterly, fingers pinching the bridge of her nose. “I’ve never had a boyfriend before, Sooyoung. Just… How am I supposed to find one?” She could almost feel the bud of a throbbing headache pulsing through her temples. Never had she felt this helpless over anything before. She just wanted to scream and tear her hair out.

Over a stupid little ‘game’. How pathetic.

“Well, you could always just forget about the game and let Fany win,” suggested Sooyoung nonchalantly, hands moving deftly across the wide array of machines and mixtures, preoccupied with all the pouring and pulling of milk and espresso. Taeyeon thought if she had a white lab coat on, she could probably pass off as a mad scientist of some sort.

“And let her rub it in my face that I’m an awkward prude? Not to mention, I’ll have to do all her chores till the end of the year…” groaned Taeyeon, dropping her chin on the crevice of her two palms with a long weary sigh.

Sooyoung managed a quick quirk of her brow despite her eyes being trained intently on the humming machine in front of her. “Aren’t you doing most of her chores already?”

“That’s exactly my point. She’s totally setting me up to lose, then she’ll have a legit excuse to not do her chores.” Taeyeon frowned and slammed her clenched fist down onto the counter. “I’m just so sick and tired of always playing right into her hands without even knowing it.”

“Cheer up,” grinned Sooyoung, sliding a coaster towards Taeyeon before setting her finished product down and looking rather smug. “Here, this is bound to clear your mind a little.”

Taeyeon mustered a small smile. “Thanks,” she murmured half-heartedly, her fingers coiling round the cup of latte sitting in front of her, allowing its warmth to seep into her fingers, leaving a pleasant tingle in its wake. She inhaled deeply and exhaled, a small refreshed smile hanging off the corners of her lips.

“Smells good.”

Sooyoung smirked. “Wait till you try it.”

Taeyeon raised a brow, lifting the cup to her lips as she took a tentative sip. And was instantly met with an explosion of flavors that had almost set her taste buds ablaze and a yearning for more. Pursing her lips, the shorter brunette admitted, albeit grudgingly, “It’s good.”

“Of course it is. I made it.” Sooyoung grinned and sent Taeyeon a wink. Wiping her hands off her dishrag with an accomplished smile, she turned her focus onto the shorter brunette across the counter, finally granting the girl her unadulterated attention. Well, at least before the rush hour. Sooyoung gave a pensive hum. “The most you could do is practice flirting.”

Taeyeon scoffed. “How?”

Grinning foxily and as if on cue, the chime on the door tinkled. Sooyoung then spun Taeyeon around to meet the next customer that was to be served shortly.

“Remember Choi Siwon?”

With that roguish good looks of his and that handsome dimpled smile that sent the girls swooning over in the distance, of course Taeyeon remembered him. And whoa, were those five years, after high school, kind on his body. Last time she heard, he was into a full time modeling gig with Vogue Korea.

Eyes roving up and down the sinewy body that had just walked into the cafe, Taeyeon finally remembered to close after all that gaping (and ogling). She nodded slowly and felt Sooyoung leaning over the counter as she whispered into her ear.

“Now if only you could get his number, you’ll be halfway through on getting yourself a boyfriend. Next customer is on you. Good luck, Taeng. You’ll need it.”

--

As Taeyeon stood behind the counter with a frozen smile plastered in place, she could have sworn that she’d never been this out of place before in her life. Almost like a fish out of water. Suddenly, the all-too familiar uniform she had been donning for the past couple of months had felt stiff and prickling to her skin and she just couldn’t stop fidgeting. The cog works in her brain were working on high time and the standard procedures of serving a customer were only in its beginning stages of registering.

Staring into the striking face of the ex-team player of her old high school’s soccer team, Taeyeon honestly wondered how in the world was she supposed to go on about with getting his number. It just seemed ridiculously impossible.

Just what would Tiffany do in her place?

What would Fany do?

Smile. That’s what she would do. Freaking smile and it should be a breeze.

“H-hi, can I take your order?”

Yeah, except that her name wasn’t Hwang Tiffany. At this point, Taeyeon’s smile was probably as forced as it could get. Her cheeks were aching a little and she knew she probably wouldn’t be able to keep this up for long. Idly, she mused to herself if Tiffany had to practice her renowned ‘eye-smiles’ in front of the mirror all day.

“Yeah sure, can I have a iced latte?” Siwon flashed a smile. The kind that was meant to dazzle.

Was she supposed to cue a wink here? Or giggle and swoon and maybe hyperventilate a little?

Just what would Fany be doing if she was in your place, Taeyeon.

And smile was what Taeyeon did. Again. She just hoped she didn’t look like she was having a spasm on her face or something. “Would that be a small, medium or large?”

“Medium, thanks.” He paused, pursing his lips as Taeyeon turned to key in his purchase in the register. “Hey, you look… kind of familiar. I think I… Do I know you? I do right?” He asked, though sounding rather apprehensive.

“High school.” And when he still had that blank look on, Taeyeon quickly added. “I’m friends with Kwon Yuri. That’ll be three-ninety, by the way.”

Instantly, the look of recognition came washing over his winsome features. “Ah, yes! I remember now. You were the one who sang a duet with Hwang Tiffany for the school’s talent show in your second-year right? Lady Marmalade. The two of you rocked the roofs off!” He enthused, grinning as he handed her the money for his latte. In the mean time, Taeyeon could only flush in embarrassment at the memory of being forced into a fluffy black dress that simply looked awkward and weird on her in comparison to Tiffany. The singing part went well, she supposed; considering they had ‘rocked the roofs off’ and had won second place for the talent show.

But still… it was an embarrassing event for Taeyeon nonetheless. If it weren’t for Tiffany, she would have never imagined going up on stage to perform, much less, sing in front of a good hundred or so people.

“Thank you…” Taeyeon mumbled sheepishly.

“Hey, um, are you still singing?” asked Siwon. He paused, a small hopeful smile pulling at the corners of his lips. “Or are you at least still willing to, because Shindong, our goal-keep’ from high school? He’s getting married in a couple months time and I’m his best man. We’re kind of on the lookout for someone to sing at the wedding and I think you’ve got a really wonderful voice, Taeyeon-ssi.”

“Well, aren’t you flirting with your customer during working hours, Taeyeon-ah?”

Came a familiar husky drawl, which Taeyeon could recognize anywhere. Upon looking up, she wasn’t the least surprise when she had come to face the sight of a smiling Tiffany. Though, she had to note that her smile didn’t seem to reach her eyes and when they had briefly shifted to Siwon, they had held an imperceptible glint of hostility. But when her gaze had fell upon Taeyeon once more, the glint had dissipated almost instantly and was replaced by a softer, fonder spark.

Tiffany arched a brow at her. “I wonder what your boss would say about this, TaeTae?” She wagged a chiding finger at her, grinning teasingly.

“Ah, Tiffany-ssi!” Siwon beamed winningly, “I was just asking Taeyeon-ssi if she could sing at Shindong-hyung’s wedding. Now that you’re here, let me extend my invitation to you as well. If you two pull off a duet as awesome as the one back in high school, I’m sure it’ll make Hyung really happy since it’s his big day and all.”

Without missing a beat, Tiffany had said with a smile, “Sure, we’ll do it.”

Taeyeon only gaped, eyes bulging in horror and shock. “W-we?” She sputtered.

“Of course, if I’m singing, you’re singing too, TaeTae.”

“B-but…”

“Wonderful! I’ll inform Shindong-hyung straight away. Here’re my contact details.” He fished out his business cards from his pocket and handed it to both Tiffany and Taeyeon. “I’ll let you know of the details soon. Thank you so much for your help, Taeyeon-ssi, Tiffany-ssi.”

“Iced latte, medium!”

“That’ll be my order. It’s been really great seeing the two of you again.” With a courteous nod and a charming smile, Siwon finally left the counter as both Tiffany and Taeyeon watched him go.

Glancing back at the shorter brunette, Tiffany had raised a questioning brow at the sight of Taeyeon glaring daggers down with her lips tightly pursed into a deep frown. “What?” She asked, sounding genuinely surprise at the hostility that was thrown her way.

The frown on Taeyeon’s face only deepened as she let out a huff and rolled her eyes. “You know what.”

Tiffany breathed a defeated sigh. “Taeyeon-ah…”

With impeccable timing, Sooyoung had decided to cut right in after eyeing the name card that was still gripped tightly between Taeyeon’s thumb and forefinger.

“Nice, so you did get his number in the end.”

Taeyeon only scowled, groaning as she stuffed the name card into her pockets and retreated deeper into the café’s workstation. Away from a certain redhead whom she failed to notice had frowned and thrown the taller and tanner girl a piercing glare.

--