Level 3: Two Birds With One Stone

It's Game On

 

“Taeyeonie… Are you still mad at me?”

 

Taeyeon merely humphed did something as close to a scowl and continued on mopping the floor of their small but homey apartment flat. Although, careful to not meet the eyes of the redhead as she hung her head low. There was a soft sigh, followed by a familiar set of footsteps that soon came padding after her. For the past half hour or so, Tiffany had been trailing after her like a shadow.

 

“It’s been slightly more than twenty-four hours, are you really not going to speak to me?”

 

Without even looking up at her, Taeyeon could just see that adorable little pout of hers and it nearly made her want to give in and finally succumb to her already.

 

Nearly.

 

At least living under the same roof together for two years had aid her in building up some form of resistance to her charms. Holding back a sigh as she held her tongue (for the moment), Taeyeon carried on with her chores.

 

Back and forth, back and forth. Dunk mop into pail. Move a couple steps forward. Rinse and repeat.

 

“I’ve done my chores for today. Please don’t be mad, Tae-Tae.”

 

Mad? She wasn’t mad. Well, maybe just a little. But mostly afraid, anxious and vexed. But yeah, mostly afraid. She had their little ‘game’ to worry about and now this? Can’t she just cut her some slack for once?

 

“I know, I know. I shouldn’t have pulled you in like this.  It was unfair and very wrong of me, I’m sorry.” Tiffany paused and Taeyeon could hear her (feel her), wavering behind her. Hesitating. “But I just… I just really, really want to sing with you again and that was the only way you would have agreed to it.”

 

The shorter brunette let loose a long sigh, dipping the mop back into the pail with what felt like defeat and resignation. She turned to Tiffany, who was looking back at her expectantly— hopefully— and found herself softening the steel in her eyes just by a little. Damn the soft spot she had for her and those puppy eyes. Especially those large, sad puppy eyes.

 

“I don’t mind singing with you, Fany-ah. But in front of a crowd of hundred or so? I don’t think I can.” She started softly with her eyes downcast, abashedly.

 

“But you managed to pull it off during high school,“ urged Tiffany.

 

“Barely managed to pull it off.” Taeyeon corrected with another sigh. She pursed her lips. “My legs and hands were shaking. I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. I told myself that that would be the first and last time that I would be doing such a thing. Honestly, back then if it weren’t for the fact that you were—“

 

Taeyeon froze, cutting herself off as she had managed to catch herself in time. Meeting Tiffany’s curious gaze, she swallowed deeply the block of unease that was forming at the back of . There was a slight distinct pang in her chest.

 

A pang she did not want to acknowledge.

 

“If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have entered that stupid talent show in the first place.” Taeyeon frowned, her words tasting bitter in .

 

If only she hadn’t been so heartbroken at that time…

 

Even though, Tiffany had hid it well behind those practiced smiles of hers— those charming, winning grins that could melt anyone’s heart into a puddle of goo—, Taeyeon had known. She had her fair share of suspicions when the time Tiffany had began distancing herself away from her known ‘best friend forever’ had correlated with the time Jessica and Yuri officially got together. When she had began to frequent her doorstep more than usual, looking almost ready to burst into tears despite that dreaded smile of hers, it had more or less sealed the deal.

 

However, she supposed that they had come to a silent mutual agreement to not speak about the issue ever. Unless… well, if the situation called for it. But at least, till date, they hadn’t really spoken about it properly. Yet. Only subtle hints were thrown about here and there.

 

To think that she had spent days, weeks, maybe even months, subtly trying to comfort her. The talent show wasn’t probably the most ideal way to cheer her up but at least they had won second place and it made Tiffany happy in a long time, so it was kind of worth the trouble after all.

 

“Then do it again. For me, please?” Tiffany pleaded. And came those sad puppy eyes again. She had also jutted her bottom lip into cute, adorable pout for the added effect.

 

Taeyeon sighed and felt her resolve wavering for a split second as she stared into those dark, dark beautiful eyes.

 

She didn’t see why she should do it again. After all, Tiffany was fine and happy. Not, heartbroken and upset over some bright-eyed, sharp-tongued, (melted) Ice Princess. There was no need to give in to please or humor her this round. So why should she?

 

“Please? Alright, fine. Don’t do it for me. But at least do it on the account of a happy, to-be-wedded couple who is looking forward for us to sing a duet on their big day.”

 

“Even if I pull out of our supposed agreement, there’s still you to follow through the whole arrangement.” Taeyeon retorted hotly, crossing her arms as she tilted her chin up at her stubbornly.

 

Tiffany pursed her lips and took a decisive step forward. The determined spark in her eyes remained set, unwavering. “If you pull out, I’ll pull out too. I’ll only sing if you’re by my side. And that’s that.”

 

Taeyeon frowned. Her heart had thumped a beat faster just then. Eyes locked onto one another in a heated gaze, she knew Tiffany wasn’t going to ever going to live this down with that look in the eye. She just knew. And the only way this was going to end, was her giving in.

 

Like always.

 

But at least she put up a fight, nonetheless.

 

Taeyeon sighed resignedly, the fire in her eyes dying down a little.

 

“This better be the last and final time I’m doing this.” She scowled, wrinkling her nose.

 

Bursting into a giant grin, Tiffany then threw her arms around her in a crushing hug. “You’ve got a heart after all.”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, albeit reciprocating the hug as her arms came to creep around the redhead’s waist, holding her gently. “Of course, I do.” She murmured wryly, blushing at their sudden close proximity.

 

Careful to not hold each other for a second longer than required (without giving Taeyeon the chance to sink in fully into her warmth), Tiffany had pulled away. Although, she was still spotting that face-splitting grin, eyes bright and twinkling down at Taeyeon, who had remained flushed in this face and maybe a tad awkward.

 

“I call dibs on the song choice!”

 

“What? No. I’m choosing the song.”

 

Instantly, a quirked brow sent the warning bells ringing in Taeyeon’s head. A small beguiling smile came painting the features of Tiffany and soon came that artful glint in her eyes, which Taeyeon recognized anywhere. “Hmm, then I guess, you wouldn’t mind me choosing the dress we’ll be wearing then.”

 

Eyes shooting up in horror, Taeyeon had cut in almost instantly. “No! Um, fine. You choose the song, I’ll handle our…” She paused, made a face and scowled. “Dresses.”

 

Tiffany’s face lit up brilliantly with a teasing grin, chuckling.

 

“It’s just a dress, Taeyeonie.”

 

“I just don’t feel comfortable in them.” Taeyeon confessed, mumbling. Feeling embarrassed, she had picked up the mop and she set herself off to work again. At least it was a good way to hide the blush that was quickly rising up to her cheeks.

 

“But you look so adorably cute in them.” Tiffany gushed and then frowned. “I would have gotten myself a picture of you in that pretty black dress if someone hadn’t hid my camera and deleted all my pictures on my phone after the talent show.

 

Taeyeon cleared awkwardly, furiously mopping at their floorboards.

 

There was a pensive pause.

 

“On second thought, I change my mind. I’ll handle the dresses and we’ll decide on the song together.”

 

Eyes widening in surprise, Taeyeon quickly whirled around back the redhead and was just about to retort when Tiffany had cut her off smoothly.

 

“No embarrassing dresses, I promise.” She grinned winningly, eyes roving up and down Taeyeon appraisingly. “I’m looking forward to design us some pretty dresses.” She winked and giggled. “Now would you excuse me, I’ve got much to work on.”

 

“You’ve got three drafts to turn in by Thursday. Don’t forget!” 

 

Shrugging and waving Taeyeon off flippantly, she had turned to saunter back into her room, only pausing slightly by the doorframe to flash Taeyeon a playful grin and blow her kiss, which got her blushing and flustered again.

 

“Don’t worry, I won’t.”

 

Laughing, she had then entered her room, closing the door after her and leaving Taeyeon alone to do whatever remaining house chores.

 

 

--

 

 

“You’ve been staring for the past ten minutes, Fany-ah.”

 

“Why? Am I making you nervous?” Tiffany asked, giggling as she grabbed hold onto one of Taeyeon’s favorite stuffed toy— her precious dookong— and nuzzled her face into it before giving it a tight squeeze in her arms.

 

Taeyeon sighed and placed her pen down, slanting a glance at the redhead, who had already seemed to make herself comfortable in her bed. Her eyes softened with that usual hint of fondness and warmth.

 

All the time.  

 

 “No, not really.” She pursed her lips and crossed her arms, reclining back against her chair. “Don’t you have anything important to do? Like writing papers, essays or… that draft that’s due on Thursday…?

 

The redhead rolled her eyes and waved her hands dismissively before flashing a bright grin. “You’re writing in your journal again. And we all know you only do that when you’re bothered by something.” She eyed the open book curiously, still smiling, albeit this time, it didn’t really reach her eyes.

 

“Well, duh. I’ve got our little ‘game’ to worry about, because I have no idea how I’m suppose to go about getting myself a boyfriend in six months. And then the whole singing gig at Shindong-oppa’s wedding and now, with you staring at me weirdly for the past fifteen minutes.”

 

A pause.

 

“So I do make you nervous…” Tiffany had said musingly, a small smile teasing the corners of her lips as her eyes sparkled brilliantly at Taeyeon, shifting up and down her small frame with that crafty glint.

 

“No, you don’t.” Taeyeon blushed, her eyes averted away from the redhead. “S-stop looking at me like that.”

 

A giggle. That sickening, dreaded giggle.

 

“Hm? Why not?”

 

The brunette bit at her bottom lip, still unable to look directly at Tiffany. “J-just stop it.” Taeyeon protested and much to her chagrin, Tiffany had gotten out of her bed and was beginning to close in on her.

 

“Tell me one good reason why shouldn’t I, TaeTae?” She whispered huskily into her ear. Taeyeon felt a shiver trickle down her spine, her heart picking up steadily in pace.

 

“Because… B-because…” The words had instantly died off in when she felt a pair of arms encircling around her from behind. Every muscle in her body had grown rigid as she held her breath right there and then.

 

“Yeah?” Tiffany urged airily, goadingly, her breath brushing against the shell of Taeyeon’s ear. Her arms were tightening around her gently as her warmth began to envelop her, wrapping around her softly.

 

Taeyeon swallowed and frowned, muttering lowly under her breath. “Damn it, you’re making me nervous.”

 

And just as sudden as Tiffany had embraced her, she had pulled away just as abruptly.

 

“Killing two birds with one stone,” She laughed, eyes twinkling and lips pulled back into her usual devious grin, she had then wagged the measuring tape in front of the shorter brunette, which Taeyeon had no idea when she had gotten her hands on. “Definitely my lucky day.” She hummed chirpily.

 

With a scowl painting her face, Taeyeon narrowed her eyes critically down onto the taller redhead standing before her with that usual sickening, teasing grin of hers. “You’re insufferable.” She grumbled, frowning deeply despite the pink flush still fresh on her cheeks.

 

Tiffany smiled, eyes crinkling into their usual crescents, and rolled her shoulders carelessly. “Thanks for the measurements, Taeng.” Giggling, she then brought her forefinger up to her lips in a soft peck before planting it down to the side of Taeyeon’s right cheek. “And here’s your reward for being so cooperative with me today.” She said, liltingly, smiling.

 

The shorter girl merely huffed in exasperation. “You’ve gotten what you want, so get out of my room already.”

 

Tiffany gave an exaggerated flinch, putting on a pout. “How cold. You’re even icier than Jessi’.” She sniffed.

 

“Just get out.” Taeyeon muttered, disgruntledly, a frown tugging at her lips.

 

Sighing loudly in mock hurt, the redhead raised her hands up in surrender. “Alright, you win. I’m out.” Rolling up her measuring tape and slipping it back into her pocket, she flashed the brunette one final megawatt grin. “Have a nice evening, Tae-Tae.” She chimed and with a wink, she had ambled out of her room.

 

Taeyeon sighed, dropping her head down onto her desk with a growl of frustration.

 

“Damn you, Tiffany.”