Level 4: Hitting Brick Wall

It's Game On

 

“Taeyeon-ah,” hummed Tiffany for probably the hundredth time that day. And for each time she had tried gaining the short brunette’s attention, she was met with nothing but silence and the furious tapping of the keyboard.  

 

“Taeyeonie.” Tiffany tried once more— her hundred and first attempt— albeit her resolve was firmer this time. However, much to her displeasure, Taeyeon’s eyes were still glued onto her monitor screen, with her brows lined in concentration as her fingers flew across the keys of her keyboard deftly.

 

And once again, still not looking up at Tiffany. Who she might add, was getting rather impatient by now.

 

The redhead frowned, huffing, and at last decided to lay out her final trump card.

 

With a deep breath, she then crooned in the most sickening sweet voice she could muster, “Tae-Ta—“

 

“What?”

 

Taeyeon growled, throwing her head back in utter exasperation while clenching her hands (that finally stopped typing away on that keyboard of hers). Breathing in and out deeply, she threw Tiffany a pointed look, eyes blazing and glaring deep into her.

 

“What do you want, Tiffany? Can’t you see I’m busy finishing up my term paper?”

 

“That is due next Friday,” Tiffany drawled, rolled her eyes and sighed, though the edges of her lips were curled into a small smile. “I’m bored, Taeyeonie.” She pouted, puckering her lips and jutting her bottom one out in the manner she knew Taeyeon could never resist.

 

“I’m busy,” Taeyeon grounded out, frowning.  She swiveled back towards her laptop and resumed her typing. “Go find something else to do.”

 

Or not.

 

Tiffany frowned and wrinkled her nose.

 

Was she getting used to her charms already?

 

Well, then again, she couldn’t blame her. They had known each other for five years after all.

 

Time for a change of tactic.

 

“But there’s nothing else to do, Taeyeonie. I’m done writing my papers and doing up drafts so there’s practically nothing. Nothing. I can do.” She urged, inching closer to the studious brunette who was adamant on not looking up at her.

 

“You could go grab yourself a book and read. I’m sure you can find something to do if you look hard enough.”

 

At least she was more inclined to talk than before. A foxy grin began to tug at Tiffany’s lips.

 

“Oh, I have found something to do alright.”

 

“And what is that?” Taeyeon murmured noncommittally, fingers still rapidly tapping away on her keyboard.

 

“Spending time with you.”

 

At that very second, Tiffany could have sworn she heard Taeyeon’s breath hitch. All movements had finally ceased and everything was still for a while. No one spoke and the room was deathly quiet for the first time, lacking that annoying incessant clicking of keys. Tiffany waited patiently with an expectant smile on her face.

 

At last, a soft sigh penetrated the silence.

 

Tiffany watched intently as Taeyeon removed her hands away from the keyboard and slowly whirled herself around to face her. As their gazes interlocked, her eyes were soft with resignation and a hint of fondness.

 

Lips parting, Taeyeon took in a quiet inhale.

 

“No, I’m busy.”

 

Tiffany felt her smile waver for a split second as the shorter girl immediately spun herself back to her laptop and continued on with her typing.

 

Damn it. She nearly had her there…

 

Nearly.

 

Pursing her lips, the redhead steeled her eyes and brought on her usual winning smile onto her lips once more. “Alright, fine. How about we play a quick game?”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Fany, didn’t I tell you I’m—”

 

“Yeah, yeah, you’re busy and everything, rushing to do a term paper that’s due in a week’s time.” She rolled her eyes and waved her off flippantly. “Mind you, I said a ‘quick’ game. It’s not like it’s gonna’ take us the whole day or the whole year, like you think it would, Taeyeonie.” 

 

“What are the rules then?” asked Taeyeon, sounding rather apprehensive.

 

A smirk curled at Tiffany’s lips.

 

“Simple. I flip the coin; heads, you’re going to stop working on your paper and hang out with me. Tails… I’ll stop bugging you and leave you alone. Agreed?”   

 

Taeyeon frowned, eyeing her suspiciously as if everything was too good to be true, “Agreed.”

 

“Well then,” Tiffany reached into her pocket and fished out a dollar coin. She flashed the brunette a dazzling grin.

 

“All the best, Tae-Tae.”

 

With that usual glint in her eyes, Taeyeon should have known better.

 

After all, when it comes to games, Tiffany never lost.

 

--

 

 

 

“I hate you,” grumbled Taeyeon, sulking.

 

Tiffany only laughed— that usual tinkling bell-like laugh of hers— and nudged the shorter girl gently in the ribs, grinning teasingly down at her.  “Eyyy, don’t be such a spoil sport, Taengoo-ah.”

 

Taeyeon grunted in response, sulking even more. With eyes sweeping past the various clothes that were put up on display, Tiffany had then proceeded to loop their arms together.

 

“It’s good to get new clothes once in a while.” She mused as they walked down the long stretch of stores, arm-in-arm. “Besides, all you ever wear is your favorite combo of t-shirt and jeans. Throw in a some skirts and dresses once in a while… Add in a little more pink.”

 

“Stop trying to turn me into you, Fany-ah.”

 

“Just trying my luck.” the redhead shrugged, rolling her shoulders carelessly. “If only you hadn’t look so adorably cute in that ridiculously boring combination, I would have thrown your entire wardrobe out and gotten you a new one.” She flashed Taeyeon a wink and a playful grin after looking her up and down appraisingly.

 

Instantly, a faint flush blossomed against Taeyeon’s cheeks. “Oh! Look at that jacket. Why don’t we, um, go in and take a look?” She suggested, and hoped that Tiffany hadn’t caught on to that nervous warble in her voice, but when she caught sight of the amused quirk of the brow and that dreaded accomplished grin, she knew that she had heard it as clear as day.

 

Taeyeon cursed inwardly, the heat on her cheeks intensifying.

 

Why was she always so sharp?

 

“I think you’ll look real cute in this, Taeyeonie.” Tiffany giggled, holding up a frilly pink dress in front of Taeyeon.

 

“Are you making fun of me?” asked the brunette in deadpan.

 

The redhead merely shrugged and laughed, “Maybe,” she said, liltingly with a mischievous grin. “Lighten up a little, Grumpy-pants. You’re scaring everybody away with that frown.”

 

Taeyeon snorted, a hint of a smile twisting at the ends of her lips.

 

Tiffany grinned, giggling. She leaned in to lightly tousle the brunette’s hair. “She smiles!” She laughed, eyes twinkling.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Mind your own business.”

 

The redhead shrugged, smiled, and waltzed off to the next clothing rack.

 

Taeyeon could only sigh and roll her eyes, albeit the remnants of a smile were still clinging to her lips.

 

And there was still that blush from before, faintly painting her cheeks, whenever she glanced down or whenever she felt a gentle tug or squeeze of her fingers.

 

Granted, the blush was there because of Tiffany’s constant teasing.

 

However…

 

She wondered if the redhead was aware that she was still holding her hand— they were holding hands— at the moment.  And somehow, that made Taeyeon all the more hyperaware of everything that was happening around her.

 

Like the way, they weren’t alone and there were a couple other shoppers, wandering about from rack to rack— and they were still holding hands. Or like the way Tiffany’s hair would bounce off her shoulders and the light would catch in her eyes. And how they lit up at the sight of an eye-catching blouse or dress as she then turned to grin brightly back at her.

 

And Taeyeon’s heart would flutter a little and she would have that crazy urge to smile along with her as well.

 

It was right about then, that she began to worry over her palms— that were sweating a bucket and going clammy— and wondered if maybe it was a good time to finally pull away from her.  And maybe save herself from the embarrassment.

 

“I’m gonna’ try this on now,” Tiffany beamed, the blouse which she had been eyeing for the past couple of minutes. “See you in a while, Taeyeonie.” She sent her a wink, and finally released the hold she had on her fingers before sauntering over to the dressing room.

 

Immediately when Tiffany was out of sight, Taeyeon began wiping her palms off her jeans. She bit at her bottom lip abashedly and frowned.

 

Her palms were really that sweaty. Sweaty like she had doused her hands in water and out.

 

It was impossible that Tiffany hadn’t noticed it. Funny how she didn’t even say a single word about it.

 

How embarrassing.

 

If only there was a way to stop herself from getting flustered around her…

 

That would be nice.

 

Sighing, Taeyeon clenched and unclenched her hands. She could still the warmth of Tiffany’s fingers tingling through her, surging through her like a buzz of adrenaline. Shaking her head dismissively as she chuckled dryly to herself, Taeyeon spun on her heels, ready to resume in her browsing of clothes when she found herself walking straight into what felt like a brick wall.

 

The brunette stumbled a couple steps back, but was steadied by a firm grip on her shoulder. She glanced up, slightly dazedly.

 

“Whoa, careful. Nearly dropped my phone there.”  The young man, whom Taeyeon had apparently bumped into, wiggled his latest, sleek-looking iPhone 5 in her face. He smirked, sizing her up and down with a quirked brow.

 

“I’m sorry,” Taeyeon dipped her head in a small, apologetic bow and frowned. The way the stranger was looking her up was quickly starting to make her feel uncomfortable.

 

“It’s okay. Well, even if I did drop my phone, you’re lucky to have such a pretty face that I wouldn’t have asked you to pay…” He drawled, lips curling slowly into an oily smile. He took a step forward while Taeyeon backed away almost immediately.  “I would have asked you to give me your number instead.”

 

Taeyeon fought the urge to cringe, pursing her lips thinly.

 

Granted, the man wasn’t exactly unattractive.  He was tall with nicely chiseled features and good complexion. Kind of good-lookingish, Taeyeon would say, but the way he was coming on to her (and staring at her) was just… No. She didn’t like it at all. The feeling was comparable to a piece of meat being eyed by a hungry lion.

 

 “Hey, since you’re alone and I’m alone, why don’t we have a cup of coffee together? After all, I’m ‘y, free and single’. You know? That new single of Super Junior’s” He laughed, winked and flashed Taeyeon a roguish grin.

 

A chill ran down Taeyeon’s spine.

 

“What’s your name, sweetheart? I’m Leeteuk by the way.”

 

“Her name’s ‘get the hell away from me’.”

 

Breath hitching at the sudden flash of scarlet and the sound of that all too familiar husky voice, Taeyeon stood, stunned. (And at the same time, extremely relieved.)

 

“F-Fany-ah…”

 

The redhead quickly shot her a reassuring, fleeting smile before turning to face the stranger with her lips pursed deep into a frown and eyes hardened into steel. She had somehow slotted herself between Taeyeon and the stranger and despite standing a head shorter than the man standing before her, she still managed to look intimidating with her chin raised and arms folded.

 

“You’ve got yourself an attractive friend, sweetheart…” The stranger mused, eyes roving up and down Tiffany’s figure hungrily. Another satisfied smirk. “Hmm, I wouldn’t mind if she joins us for coffee. Mmm… Not one bit.”

 

Taeyeon felt a growl threatening to escape her thinly pressed lips; a sudden sense of protectiveness and a spurt of anger that seemed to come from absolutely nowhere, was overwhelming her at the moment. All she wanted to do at that point was to wipe that conceited smirk off that dreaded face of this sleazy man.

 

The redhead scoffed and rolled her eyes.

 

“What a pig.”

 

With a giant stomp, followed closely by a cry of agony, Tiffany had then lugged Taeyeon away by the hand without missing a beat. As soon as they were out of the store, they broke into a run and only stopped around a corner, far away from the store they were previously at.

 

Tiffany turned to peek from behind the wall, panting. “That creep’s not following us, is he?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Taeyeon shook her head, breathing just as heavily through her nose. She grinned devilishly. “After all, that was one hard tromp you’ve given him.”

 

Turning back at Taeyeon with an amused smile and a raised brow, Tiffany leveled their gazes. There was brief moment of silence as they met each other’s eyes.

 

And then, Tiffany broke into giggles. The kind of giggle that was so infectious that Taeyeon couldn’t help joining in after a while and soon they were both hunching over in a multitude of laughter, turning a blind eye to the shoppers that were shooting them dirty looks.

 

“But seriously, Taeyeon-ah…” Tiffany started breathlessly (from all that laughing earlier). “As much as I want it to be a fair game between the two of us, and that I shouldn’t have interfered if some guy were to hit on you… that guy back there was clearly an and I just couldn’t simply stand and watch.”

 

At the sudden squeeze of her fingers by Tiffany, Taeyeon was instantly reminded that their hands were still very much interlocked from their run. Glancing down at their linked hands, she couldn’t stop herself from blushing once more.

 

“Promise me you’ll date someone who treats you well and loves you for who you are, will you?“

 

Taeyeon immediately caught her breath at the light brush of Tiffany’s fingers against her cheek in a gentle caress. Her touch almost seemed to burn and it lit every cell in Taeyeon’s body ablaze. At the sight of that serene smile of hers and the soft, tender glow burning slowly through those dark, midnight eyes that were glancing back down at her ever so warmly, Taeyeon’s heart began to pick up in pace.

 

Her stomach flipped.

 

Instinctively, she leaned deep into her touch and sighed inwardly. Contentedly.

 

Funny how she was melting, yet hurting at the same time.

 

If only…

 

If only the rules were different.

 

And if only… she had a little more courage…

 

It was still impossible anyway.

 

Only wishful thinking.

 

She should be happy to be able to look up into those beautiful eyes and see them looking down at her like this. How every once in a while, she could hold her tight and be held in her arms in return as well. And that she had always and will be by her side, through thick and thin.

 

She should be happy.

 

Have to be.

 

“Same goes to you, Fany-ah. You better find someone who can treat you like a princess all day.” Taeyeon jested lightheartedly, though in truth, she couldn’t deny the dull throb in her chest.

 

At last, with what remaining amount of willpower left in her, Taeyeon pried herself away from the redhead, plastering a smile across her face. She shrugged carelessly, in her efforts to come off as nonchalant.

 

“Well, I guess we should add in one more rule to the game then: that we’re only allowed to date ‘nice guys’ and no less than that. Agreed?”

 

It was extremely subtle, so very imperceptible, but Taeyeon could have sworn the spark in Tiffany eyes had faltered slightly and that the corners of her lips had drooped a little. Then again, maybe it was just the lighting and a figment of her imagination.

 

The redhead shrugged and smiled enigmatically. “Agreed. But in the event if somehow, we can’t find ourselves a boyfriend, at least we’ll still have each other. Right?” She winked and giggled, nudging Taeyeon lightly in jest.

 

Despite the faint pink hue on her cheeks, Taeyeon nodded, smiling in agreement.

 

“At least we’ll still have each other.”