saturday morning

Q&A

Chapter 3: saturday morning


At the same time, I wanna hug you
I wanna wrap my hands around your neck

There are many contradictions in this world.

Like how Jimin is the absolute worst in English yet he is pursuing a minor in English Studies, and how he is supposed to be at home having a Harry Potter marathon but he is ten minutes early, currently sitting at a café while sipping on his ice-blended vanilla drink on a Saturday morning.

Jimin is not exactly complaining. In fact, he likes how warm the café is, a perfect place to be on a freezing winter day. He was given the address to this café and it is a pleasant surprise, with its peaceful ambience and trendy background music.  However, he would very much prefer to be in his bed and asleep.

He wonders why he is so early; wonders why he bothers waking up at 8am, rushing to this café only to find out that he is early; wonders why he feels adrenaline in his veins when he is supposed to dread the coming session. He lets out a sigh, a small cloud of mist forming where he huffed out loud.

He takes another sip of his drink and his brain freezes momentarily due to the cold, causing him to wince and scrunch up his face.

At this moment, a familiar figure enters the shop with a jingle of the bell at the door and spots Jimin, waving his hand as a greeting.

Jimin scowls at the bad timing. Did he really have to catch him in the midst of a brain freeze? He stands to greet his professor and bows politely. The latter nods in acknowledgment and sets down his stuff.

"Sorry for being late, I’m not exactly a morning person," Yoongi apologises sincerely. Jimin waves off the apology, realising that he dyed his hair from the flashy green colour to a more subtle but still outstanding ash grey colour.

He looks good.

The younger boy decides resolutely that he will not be distracted by the new hair colour. He needs to focus. After all, this is a consultation session. Both men take a seat and Yoongi takes out his laptop, planting it onto the small table. "So, what do you need help in?" he asks the student, ruffling his own hair with one hand.

Jimin promptly fishes out the essay from his overly cluttered bag and places it in front of the professor. "I have some terms I’m not sure about," he confesses and feels himself heating up, unsure if it is because of the temperature in the cafe or mere embarrassment.

Yoongi scans the paper and nods as he reads the piece of work. He proceeds to point out mistakes and provides suggestions on how to improve them. They spend the next one and a half hour hovering over the paper.

Jimin realizes Yoongi really likes telling bad jokes. His puns are especially corny, but he finds himself smiling whenever the older man cracks a joke.

“Once there was a man who wanted a brain transplant, but he changed his mind,” Yoongi suddenly blurts out when they’re into the second last paragraph. Jimin’s reaction is not immediate; it takes a few seconds for Jimin to get the joke and when he does, he bites the inside of his cheeks to stop himself from shaking with laughter. An amused smile still lights up his face.  

At one point of time, Yoongi notices how Jimin is slightly quivering from his ice-blended drink. He shakes his head slightly and excuses himself, heading towards the counter.

When he returns, there are two cups in his hands. He places the smaller cup in front of Jimin, saying, "Drink it, brat. You're freezing." He then takes a sip of his own drink and lets out a satisfied sigh before turning his attention back to Jimin’s work. The latter freezes, literally. He stares at the cup in front of him, mouth slightly hanging open.

"T-thank you, Mr. Min. How did you know I was kind of cold?" Jimin finally speaks and stutters over his own words.

You’re so pathetic, Park Jimin.

A warm smile, albeit a small one that almost goes unnoticed if Jimin is not staring at him, spreads across Yoongi’s face and he replies, "You were shivering like a leaf in autumn. An idiot would have known."

Jimin flushes and grabs the cup with both hands before gulping down the drink. It’s chamomile tea, his favourite tea. This makes Jimin feel all warm and fuzzy inside. “How did you know I like chamomile tea?” Jimin asks.

Yoongi shrugs his shoulders, “I just bought whatever I felt like buying.” Despite the nonchalant answer, Jimin still smiles.

When they are finally done correcting Jimin’s essay, the boy lets out a tiny yawn and stretches his rigid arms. He feels like a huge stone has been lifted off his shoulders.

“Good job kid, you definitely did better than the previous time,” Yoongi praises Jimin and leans across the table to pat him on the shoulder, “You passed.”

Upon hearing those two words, Jimin immediately leaps out of his seat and half-screams, half-whispers, “I did?”

Yoongi nods firmly, “With flying colours. I can see how much effort you put into it.” The red-haired boy cheers and jumps up and down, sporting a huge grin which causes his eyes to turn into crescents and he giggles to himself.

“Thank you so much, Mr. Min! Thank you, you don’t how much it means to me,” Jimin gushes and cups his cheeks with his hands while still smiling.

For the first time, Jimin is going to get a distinction for his English. It is a historical moment, one that Jimin will remember for a long time, probably forever. He is going to brag about it to Jungkook when he gets home, definitely.

Suddenly, Jimin’s phone rings with a text notification, followed by another one, and another one, and it starts ringing incessantly. He calms himself down and takes out his phone.

Speaking of the devil.

 

jeon cena: hyung help

jeon cena: there’s someone in my dorm

jeon cena: idk him

jeon cena: he’s pretty cute tho

jeon cena: but seriously tho i’m scared what do i do?????  do i chase him out or what

jeon cena: i’m hiding behind the door now and omg he saw me

jeon cena: he just said hi and i ran to my room and locked it

jeon cena: what if he kills me

jeon cena: hyung wru

jeon cena: jimin

jeon cena: park jimin

 

Jimin sighs in annoyance and types out a reply in record speed, for fear of his phone exploding from the continuous messages.

 

You: what?

You: are you sure you don’t know him?

You: don’t do anything reckless, pls.

 

Yoongi glances over the table to see Jimin frowning at his phone. “Anything wrong?” he asks out of concern. Jimin shakes his head, forcing a smile at his professor before going back to his phone. It rings again and Jimin rolls his eyes before muting it.

“Sorry, my friend is being annoying,” he apologises to Yoongi.

 

jeon cena: ok i talked to him. his name is kim taehyung and apparently he is my new roommate???? i don’t remember asking for one tho ……

jeon cena: come over plz, i know you’re with min yoohee or something but plz it’s an emergency

You: why is it an emergency kook? he’s just your roommate.

jeon cena: i’m shriveling up from the awkwardness. he talks so much, he reminds me of you. i’m sure you two will become gr8 friends!!!!

jeon cena: oh he’s born in 1995 too. what a coincidence

You: i’m studying

jeon cena: best friend or english

You: seriously, the things i do for you. i’m coming over!

 

Jimin locks his phone and shoves it into his coat pocket. “I’m sorry, but I have to go now. It’s kind of an emergency. Thank you for your help, Mr. Min!” he stands up after packing his things and bows before leaving.

When he is about to head towards the exit, he suddenly feels a gentle grip on his wrist. Before he can process whatever is going on, he feels a pen press against his palm. It tickles, and Jimin squirms at the sensation of the pen writing against his skin.

Yoongi finally lets go and smiles up at the student. “Good work, Park Jimin,” he says and waves goodbye to him.

Still in a daze, Jimin bows his head slightly and leaves the café. He looks down at his palm and there is a number scribbled across it, along with words written in messy, familiar handwriting.

‘Text this number if you need any help with English. –Min Yoongi’

It is a cold winter morning, but Jimin feels his cheeks burning.

 

a/n: sorry for the hiatus! i was busy with schoolwork + writer's block (this chapter was originally very different and i deleted and rewrote it rip). tysm for your patience!!