unexpected

Q&A

(professor yoongi will be the death of me)

 

Chapter 2: unexpected


There's no one quite like you
You push all my buttons down
I know life would without you


The door shuts behind them with a soft thud, causing Jimin to jump a little. When he opens his eyes, a small living room greets him. He sees Yoongi throw his briefcase onto the sofa and he realises where he is. Jimin pulls on the edge of his sweater as if his life depends on it, his lips twitching and his gaze floating. Silence fills the air as he stands at the door, uncertain of what he should do.

"Sit," Yoongi tells Jimin and the younger boy nods meekly before scurrying to the tiny couch. His feet catch onto some books on the floor and he almost plants his face on the ground but manages to catch his balance at the last second.

When he sinks himself into the soft cushions, he shuts his eyes and awaits his fate: loud berating from the probably livid professor.However, even after Jimin counts down from ten, there is no loud shouting or cursing. Instead, Jimin hears a clink against the coffee table. The sound sends shudders down Jimin's spine.

Is Min Yoongi trying to murder me with a kitchen knife?

Wild thoughts race through his mind and he bites his lips as he thinks about all the possibilities. He might top the headlines of the news tomorrow, except that he would be dead and the murderer would be a particularly cute professor.

Hold on, did I just call him cute?

Finally, he wills himself to force open his eyes, his eyes landing upon the coffee table. Immediately, he lets out a huge breath. There is a cup of hot chocolate milk placed in front of him, steam escaping from the drink. "I hope you like chocolate milk, that's the only thing I have," Yoongi says in an apologetic tone, ruffling his mint hair. Jimin almost lunges forward to grab the cup. I love chocolate milk more than I love my mother, Jimin has to admit.

Yoongi notices this gesture and shakes his head. "Manners, Park Jimin," he chides gently, earning a stare from his student.

Jimin is about to gulp down the hot chocolate milk in mouthfuls when he remembers why he is in this house. He gingerly puts down the warm mug, pouting a little as he thinks about the drink getting cold. "I'm sorry," he mumbles under his breath.

"Pardon?"

"I," Jimin's cheeks heat rapidly, as if they are catching fire, "I said I'm sorry." His voice is oozing with all kinds of emotions.

"Why do you hate me?" Yoongi questions, looking straight at the younger boy. The latter squirms under his gaze and fidgets in his seat uncomfortably. Jimin digs through his brain to find an explanation.

"You're-you're always making bad jokes, picking on me, giving me bad grades," Jimin confesses, his hand trembling and his breath uneven. He leaves out the part where he wants to curse the professor out for being so adorable in his oversized jacket and looking absolutely ethereal with his cheeks slightly flushed from the cold. He does not mention how Yoongi's gaze sends tingles down his spine.

He is confused by his own reaction. He is supposed to feel nothing but pure hatred towards the mint-haired professor. Jimin waits for a reply, but all he receives is a lopsided smile. Yoongi plants his face on his hand and watches Jimin. "Go on," he smirks.

Jimin cannot decide if the smile was meant to encourage or threaten him. To Jimin, that smile is worse than Yoongi verbally abusing him. He would rather be yelled at by the older man than be at the receiving end of this nightmare-inducing smile.

Come to think of it, this is the first time Jimin has ever seen the man smile.

He squeezes his eyes shut. "I don't exactly hate you, I just dislike getting Bs for my essays!" he blurts out in defence. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" he half-yells, half-whispers.

Suddenly, Jimin feels a warm hand on his own freezing and trembling one and he immediately draws back his hand in a reflex action. His eyes fly open, gaze meeting Yoongi's and he inhales a sharp breath.

I'm dead, I'm so dead.

"What are you apologising for?" Yoongi asks and smiles again, this time gentler and kinder. 

Jimin shakes his head. "I won't do it again," he mutters and lowers his head. He feels a hand ruffling his hair roughly.

"Don't worry kid, I won't take it to heart," Yoongi assures him and this calms down Jimin's racing heart slightly. However, he can still hear his own heart beating against his ribcage. "Do you need help in English? I'll be more than glad to help you," Yoongi suddenly offers, causing Jimin's eyes to widen.

Jimin lifts his head up and looks at Yoongi, his eyes sparkling and his mouth open in a wide grin. "Mr. Min, are you serious?" he squeaks.

Yoongi can only nod and smile, "Definitely." Words of thanks and gratitude gush out of Jimin and he bows repeatedly, short bursts of laughter escaping from his mouth.

That night, they arrange their consultations and Jimin cannot help but smile throughout the whole session. He cannot help but steal glances at the professor as well.

He realises Yoongi has a habit of biting his lips whenever he is focused on something. He tries not to get distracted by that. He fails miserably, his eyes always falling upon thin pink lips. Jimin gets frustrated at himself and grunts loudly, drawing Yoongi's attention. He raises a brow at Jimin. "Were you even paying attention?" Yoongi asks. Jimin only smiles at him.

The clock strikes 10 and Jimin decides it is time for him to return to his own room. After all, Jungkook must be pretty bored in the room while waiting for him so that they can complete their assignments together. They've arranged to meet on Thursdays and Saturdays. Yoongi already has a gist of what they would do the coming Saturday.

When Jimin steps out of the door, he leans against the wall outside and lets out a shaky breath.

Min Yoongi is a walking surprise.