A Place at Last?

RESTART

When Whee-In arrived home, she was greeted by a beautiful sight. A y Hwasa sitting on the couch, eating an apple, and watching television. She wrapped her arms around Hwasa and gave her a peck on the cheek.

You’re home!” she said cheerfully. She got up, helped Whee-In out of her jacket, and hung it by the door. “You’re in a good mood I see,” she commented, feeling the joy spreading to her as she looked at Whee-In’s face. “Did something good happen?”

You could say that,” she answered merrily.

Mind sharing?”

Anything for you.”

Anything?” She raised an eyebrow suggestively.

Of course.” Whee-In playfully followed along.

They placed their foreheads together and closed their eyes. “I would share the world with you,” they said simultaneously as they smiled. They sat down on the sofa before continuing their conversation.

So what’s the good news?” Hwasa questioned eagerly.

Yong-Sun Unnie said she’s not leaving. She’s moving back here!”

Really!?”

Yes! At least, that’s what she said.”

Does she have any plans?”

She’s going to start her training as a doctor soon.”

Has she found a place to stay?”

Not yet. I’m helping her with that at the moment. Speaking of that—” She turned towards Hwasa. “I wanted to tell you I can’t be home as much since I’m helping her. I can’t spend as much time with you.”

That’s fine.” She shrugged.

What!? You’re not even going to protest a little?”

Do you want me to?”

No, but—” She pouted and Hwasa chuckled.

She kissed Whee-In’s forehead before she spoke, “We have our whole life to spend together. I’m just lending you to her for now, but just for now. Got it?”

Mhm~” She smiled shyly.

They cuddled on the couch and enjoyed a movie together. Whee-In was asleep before the movie was even half way through. Hwasa carried her to bed and tugged her in before laying down herself. The next day, Hwasa was still asleep when Whee-In woke up. She smiled and gave Hwasa a kiss.

Good morning beautiful,” she whispered in Hwasa’s ear before she got out of bed.

As she was getting ready, she made sure to be as quiet as she could. She also prepared breakfast and left a note for Hwasa.

Heat up the food before you eat it. I’m going to meet with Yong-Sun Unnie. You don’t have to wait for me. I love you. - Forever yours, Whee-In.

Solar and Whee-In searched high and low, far and wide, at least within the zone limit they had set at the beginning, but it was to no avail. Another day was lost. They were tired from walking so they sat on the sidewalk. Their backs leaning against one another.

Why is it so hard to find one place?” Whee-In wailed.

This is hopeless.” She sighed.

No!” She renewed her resolve, “We can’t give up!” She stood up suddenly, causing Solar to fall backward. “I won’t fail you!” She extended her hand towards Solar to help her off the ground.

Solar was taken aback for a moment before she grabbed Whee-In’s hand. “Are you alright?” She raised an eyebrow.

I’ve never been better!” she exclaimed.

Do you think we’ll find a place?”

Of course! I have a plan!”

What plan?”

If we don’t find one, you can come live with me. I’ll support you!”

Please, tell me that’s a joke.”

I’m serious!” She gripped Solar’s arms. “I’ll clothes you! I’ll feed you! I’ll provide for you!”

No,” she said without hesitating.

What!? Why not!?”

Do I really need to answer that?”

It’ll be free,” she said gleefully.

Hmm, let me think—” Solar pretended to ponder as Whee-In anticipated a response. “The answer is—” She raised the tension, “still no,” she said sternly.

Fine. Fine. Have it your way.”

Let’s call it a day. You must be tired.”

You too. Let’s look at some more places tomorrow.”

You don’t have to come with me.”

Nonsense. I’m more than happy to accompany you,” Whee-In smiled. “See you tomorrow.”

Alright, be safe.”

You too.”

Solar got back to her hotel and crashed on her bed. She only wanted to rest her eyes for a moment but fell asleep until the next morning. She realized what a mess she was in when she got up and proceeded to clean herself. It gave her a renewed sense of vigor.

Whee-In and Solar had been searching for a week, but the only places they could find were either too expensive or already filled. They decided to have lunch at a nearby restaurant and discussed how they should proceed.

We should expand our search zone,” Solar suggested.

I thought you didn’t want it to be too far?”

A few miles out will be fine.”

Are you sure?”

We don’t really have much choice.”

My offer is still available~” Whee-In’s smile cutely.

No.”

It’ll have everything you want~.”

Still no.”

You’re one tough customer.”

I’m not your customer.” She held her head and sighed.

Mhm.” Whee-In only shook her head in disapproval.

Can’t you take this seriously?”

I don’t know, can I?” She tried to keep herself from smiling.

What am I going to do with you?”

Love me~?” She looked at Solar pleadingly.

She sighed happily. “I can never be mad at you.”

After enjoying their lunch, they headed out once more. They arrived in a small neighborhood consisting mostly of the elderly. The street was only big enough for one vehicle to pass through at any given time. However, it was cleaned and well maintained. A sign was pinned outside one of the houses.

Want to rent? Ask inside. - Landlady

That’s straightforward,” Whee-In commented.

Let’s go. Let’s go!” She rushed, feeling excited at the prospect of finding a place.

They found an elderly woman in the front yard. She was in the middle of hanging her various assortments of colorful laundry. Her gray curly hair dangling just passed her eyebrow, and sweats dripped off from the corner of her chin.

Excuse me,” Solar called.

What do you want?” The elderly woman questioned sternly.

We saw your sign outside, and wanted to ask—”

Renting?”

Yes!”

Follow me,” the landlady dropped her clothes back into the basket and wiped her hands on her shirt.

Where are we going?” Whee-In questioned.

It’s a house down this way,” she answered nonchalantly. They walked about three houses down before she stopped. “Go in and have a look.”

The house has a gray roof and wooden floor. Although it looked a bit dated, it seemed sturdy and well maintained. The front yard was practically empty with only a large bucket and a bench tucked in the corner. The first room to greet anyone entering was the kitchen and the living space surrounding it. It was well organized and spacious. The last thing were the two bedrooms, which were to the left and right of the kitchen respectively.

Whee-In was heading towards the left bedroom when the landlady yelled, “you can’t enter that one!”

Why not? What’s wrong with it?” she questioned.

It’s rented out already.”

Rented out?” She raised an eyebrow in confusion.

Yes. This is a shared house. Didn’t you know?”

No.”

Well, now you do,” the landlady voice was stern but gentle, “if you don’t mind sharing then you can move in whenever. You still have your own bedroom and study. You just have to share the living room and kitchen.”

What about the other tenant?”

The other tenant is also a girl. She’s a good person. She’s not home that often due to work related problems, so you’ll most likely have the place to yourself.”

If she’s not home often how do you know she’s a good person?”

The landlady gave her a scary look before answering, “do you want to rent or not?”

I—”

I’ll take it!” Solar screamed out excitedly.

Who’s renting?” The landlady glanced back and forth between them.

I am!” she said cheerfully.

The landlady looked back at Whee-In and raised her brow.

What?” Whee-In protested, “I have to look out for my friend.”

You’re a good friend,” the landlady smiled. “So do you want to rent this place?” She turned towards Solar.

Yes!”

Let’s go take care of the paperwork then.”

As they followed the landlady back to her home, Whee-In tugged on Solar’s sleeve and whispered, “Do you think this is a good idea? Somewhere else might be better.”

Don’t be silly. This place is perfect. Affordable and spacious. It even comes with all the accommodations that I need. Besides, we haven’t found anything better. Don’t worry. Don’t worry,” she reassured Whee-In but in truth she wanted to gloss over the subject.

As long as you’re happy. I guess it’s fine,” she replied hesitantly.

I’m happy. I’m happy. Let’s go. Let’s go,” she wrapped her arm around Whee-In and quickened their pace.

The landlady offered Solar a short term and a long term lease. Solar chose the latter, a two years lease agreement. It was the more sensible option of the two, at least to her. She could save money in the long run while living in a nice place. It was a no-brainer. She happily signed the agreement and went back to the hotel to grab her belongings.

She didn’t have much to pack because she hadn’t had the time to shop since her return. Solar was happily packing when she noticed Whee-In’s troubling face. She knew that Whee-In had a thing or two to say about her decision. She sighed softly bracing herself for a lecture.

Alright, let’s have it.”

Have what?” Whee-In raised an eyebrow.

I know you have something to say, so say it.”

I don’t have anything to say.”

Are you sure?” she said skeptically.

Yes.”

Okay. Don’t regret it.”

You know what, I do have something to say,” Whee-In threw the shirt she had onto the bed.

Here we go,” she mumbled.

What?”

Nothing.” She smiled.

First of all, you need to be more cautious,” she sighed. “How could you agree so easily? You should have spent more time thinking about it.”

And so the lecture has begun,” she said under her breath.

Did you say something?”

Of course not,” she smiled. “Please continue.”

Why did you sign it so easily?”

What if I waited and someone else rented the place?”

That’s no excuse to be irrational.”

It wasn’t an irrational decision. I thought it through.”

You thought it through?” Whee-In was baffled. “You didn’t even ask the landlady any questions!”

But you did!” She smiled happily. “You asked her everything I wanted to know.”

What if I wasn’t there? Were you going to ask her those questions?”

Of course, who do you think I am?” Would I? she wondered.

Fine. What about the other tenant?”

What about her?”

What do you mean what about her!? You don’t know who she is. How could you believe that she’s a good person? What if she’s a troublemaker? I mean, what kind of good person has so many work related problems that she barely goes home!?”

Don’t stress over it. Besides, most of my time would be spent at the hospital. We might never bump into each other. Hotels are expensive, you know. I can’t live here forever.”

That’s why I said you can come live with me!”

No.”

Why not!?”

Do you really want me to sit there and watch you two flirt? Or hear something I shouldn’t?”

I see your point.”

Anyway I already signed the agreement. It’s too late to back out now.”

Whee-In could only sigh in defeat. They finished packing and checked out from the hotel. Whee-In accompanied Solar back to her new abode. The landlady brought them soju and hot foods as a welcome present. They drank and celebrated together.

Whee-In was more at ease after she got to know the landlady. It was getting late so she took a cab home. Solar cleaned the dishes and stacked them neatly on a tray, planning to return them the next morning. Her work at the hospital would be starting in three days and she was glad she had found a place at last. She went into her room and sat at her desk to review some notes.

On her way home, Whee-In was excited to share the good news with Hwasa. However, when she arrived, the house was empty, her heart dropped a little. She sighed and saw the note Hwasa pinned to the fridge.

Hey love, if you see this I’m heading out to meet with Moonbyul. It shouldn’t take too long, but if it does then don’t wait up for me. - Your one and only, Hwasa.

You’re going to tell her Yong-Sun Unnie is back aren’t you?” Whee-In mumbled.

Hwasa went to a small soju place by the sea, where she had become a regular. It only had a few tables set up inside a square tent, and most of its business came from the dock workers. When she entered, Moonbyul wasn't inside. The place was small so it only took one glance to see who was there.

She’s out at the usual place,” the owner gestured with his head. He handed her a bottle of soju and a plate of food.

Thanks.”

She saw Moonbyul sitting on a bench, sipping her drink, and throwing pebbles into the sea, just like always. She sighed before she approached. She sat down next to Moonbyul, placed the food between them, and waited for Moonbyul to speak.

Still the same I see. Just sitting there quietly.” Moonbyul smiled wryly.

Speak for yourself. Drinking out here even in this weather.”

More enjoyable that way. You don’t think so?”

I could think of a better place.”

Really? A place with better scenery and a quiet sea breeze?” She chuckled before she took a sip from her bottle.

What scenery? It’s dark,” she protested. “I could do without the sea breeze. I much prefer a warm fire right about now.”

You just don’t appreciate the finer things in life.”

I don’t!?” She was baffled. “This person—really—” she mumbled.

How are you?”

Fine,” she grumbled.

And Whee-In?”

She’s good. You know how she is. She gets herself into trouble now and again. But it’s part of her charm.” She smiled shyly as she spoke about Whee-In. “And you? What have you been up to? It’s been a while since I saw you.”

Not much. Work kept me busy,” she turned to Hwasa. “So tell me, why did you call me out here?”

Do I need a reason to see my buddy?”

No, but this is not a simple social call. I can tell. So spit it out.”

There goes your old habit coming out again.”

Just because I’m a detective doesn’t mean I suspect everything.”

Aren’t you doing it right now?”

Are you telling me this is a simple social call?”

No.”

Then spit it out.”

Hwasa sighed, “Fine.”

What is it?”

Can’t I have a second to think?”

Fine, have it your way.”

Hwasa took a deep breath before she spoke. “Yong-Sun Unnie is back.”

Moonbyul was drinking her soju when she heard the news and almost spat it out. She turned to Hwasa in disbelief.

She’s back?”

Yeah.”

She turned away, tears fell from her eyes yet a smile crept across her face at the same time. She felt an aching pain in her chest. But the gentle embrace of happiness also wrapped itself around her. Why am I feeling this way? Should I not be happy that she’s back? She stood up and screamed to the sea. This feeling. This pain. I don’t want it. I don’t want any of it! She screamed again and again but no words came out.

Hwasa stayed by Moonbyul’s side and watched over her. She could do nothing else and questioned whether she’d made the right decision telling Moonbyul about Solar. She waited for Moonbyul to finish letting off some steam before accompanying her for more drinks. She needed to make sure Moonbyul would get home safely.

They bar-hopped from one place to the next, Moonbyul pretended she was having the time of her life. As for Hwasa, she was only there to watch over Moonbyul. Before the clock could even announce the arrival of midnight, Moonbyul had drunk enough that she could barely stand. Hwasa had to forcefully stop her and dragged her home.

Iiiiiii waaaaaannnnaaa driiiiiiikkkksssss!”

You had enough! Go inside!” Hwasa commanded.

Nooonnnn!” She reached for the gate handle but there were so many, and they kept rotating, she wasn’t able to grab one.

Go home!”

Yuuuu goooo hommm!”

I’ll go home if you go home!”

Fiiieeeeeee! Iiii goooooo hommmm!” Moonbyul turned around and almost tripped but Hwasa caught her in time. “Gooo aaavvaayy,” she wiggled her arm out of Hwasa gripped.

Go inside!”

Shhhhhh yuuuu loooouuuddd. Goooo hoooommm!”

You’re louder than me,” she sighed.

Gooooo avvvvaaaayyyy.”

Moonbyul wobbled to the front door and Hwasa made sure she got inside before leaving. When Hwasa got home she saw Whee-In waiting for her and smiled.

I’m home,” she spoke sweetly.

Welcome home,” she said cheerily.

Whee-In got up from the sofa and went over to hug Hwasa. They shared a sweet kiss before Whee-In took Hwasa’s jacket and hung it up. She led Hwasa over to the sofa and poured her a cup of warm tea. As Hwasa sipped her tea, Whee-In placed her hands on Hwasa’s ears.

Do you feel warmer?” she asked sweetly.

Yes,” Hwasa nodded with a smile.

How is she?” she asked hesitantly.

She knows Yong-Sun Unnie is back. She drank quite a bit after that.”

Then, did you have to tell her?”

You know it’s better that I tell her. If she finds out when she’s alone. What do you think will happen?”

I know—it’s just—” She couldn’t think of a good reason.

Don’t think about it. So how’s Yong-Sun Unnie?”

She’s good. We found a place for her. I’m a bit skeptical but she really likes it. She’ll have to share it with another tenant but she’s fine with it.”

Where at?”

When Whee-In told Hwasa the address, she choked on the tea she was sipping.

What's wrong? Was it too hot? Did it burn you?”

N-no—” Hwasa tried to speak.

What’s wrong then?”

Hwasa regained her composure before she continued, “The address you just mentioned—” she paused.

What about it?” she asked impatiently.

That’s where Moonbyul lives.”

WHAT!!?”

Meanwhile, as soon as Moonbyul entered her home she lost her bearing. It was dark but instead of trying to turn on the light she squinted her eyes. As if that would magically make it brighter. She did it for a while, just standing there staring at the darkness. Then when she tried to get to her room, she fell, causing a loud crashing noise.

Solar was still studying at the time when she heard the noise. What was that? Was it a burglar? She grabbed the nearest blunt instrument and slowly opened her door. She glanced around a few times before she noticed the silhouette moving on the floor.

Who are you!? Answer me!” She demanded but received no response. “I have a weapon!” She threatened but the person was still silent. She slowly inched towards the light switch and turned it on. She noticed the person on the floor and moved towards her. “Are you okay?” She poked the body with her weapon. “You reek. Have you been drinking? Are you the other tenant? Hello?” She continued poking the body.

Stttooopppp iiiittt!” Moonbyul pushed it away and tried to get up but fell once more.

Let me help you.” she grabbed her arm.

She wiggled away, “Iiiii fiiiiiinnnneeeeee!” she laughed.

You’re obviously not!” she protested. Why am I getting irritated? This person—seriously.Let me help you.” She tried again to get Moonbyul off the ground.

SSSSSSSSSS~”

Are you hissing at me?”

SSSSSSSSSS!!!”

Are you serious right now!?”

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!”

Don’t get angry. Don’t get angry,” she chanted slowly to herself. While Solar was trying to calm herself, Moonbyul began to swim away, but her attempt was rather unsuccessful. “What are you doing?”

Svvviiiimmmmm!”

You’re acting like a fool.” Why do I find this cute? Almost irresistible. What am I thinking!?

Yuuuuuu aaaaaa fooooooo!”

Did you just call me a fool!? This person—!” Why do I want to slap her so bad? Calm down Solar. Calm down.

Foooooooooooooo!”

Solar grumbled, “get up you fool!” Did I just say that out loud? Did I just call a stranger a fool? What is wrong with me?

SSSSSSSSSSSS~”

Stop it!” she demanded.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!”

I said stop it!” She proceeded to slap Moonbyul’s . Did I just do that? She stared at her hand. Why did I just do that? What is going on with me? Why can’t I control myself? She covered her face, feeling embarrassed.

Iiiiiiiii vaaaaasssss attttttaakkkkkkk!” She wiggled her way to her room, again very unsuccessfully.

What have I done wrong to deserve this? Solar cried a little on the inside. It’s alright Solar. It’s alright. You can do this.

She took a deep breath and proceeded to help Moonbyul up. She put Moonbyul’s arm around her shoulder and slowly walked towards the other room. She was focused on the ground, making sure they wouldn’t trip. She hadn’t had time to check the face of the other tenant. As they walked toward Moonbyul’s room, Solar began lecturing Moonbyul without realizing it.

Why did you drink so much? It’s not good for you. Drinking won’t solve your problems. You should find a better solution. Don’t resort to hurting yourself. I—” Before she could finish, Solar was pushed against the wall inside the room. She was now face to face with the other tenant. She looked up and couldn’t believe her eyes. “Moonbyul,” her trembling lips spoke softly.

Moonbyul caressed Solar’s face and tears fell from her eyes. “You sound like her.”

I—” At the sight of Moonbyul’s tears, Solar felt her heart shattered and she couldn’t hold back her own tears.

You look like her too.” She smiled sadly. “If she was here, she'd say the same thing.”

Moonbyul—I— Her trembling lips moved but she was unable to find her voice.

She can’t be here. She’ll never be by my side again. You must be a dream,” her voice shook. “But that’s fine. As long as I get to see her, I’ll be happy with a dream.”

Moonbyul please don’t cry. Why—why can’t I say it?

It hurts, you know?” She pointed to her heart. “She left a wound here and it’s still bleeding.” Solar hugged Moonbyul and Moonbyul embraced Solar as they cried on each other's shoulders. “Your warmth feels like hers too. This warmth that she took away with her. I miss her. I really do.” She hugged Solar even tighter.

I miss you too,” she whispered.

She’s back. After three years, she’s finally back. I want to see her, but what will I do if I hurt her again?” She paused and looked into Solar’s eyes. “Is that why you came? To ease this pain in my heart?”

I—I don’t know.” She couldn’t break away from Moonbyul’s gaze.

Moonbyul dried the tears from Solar’s eyes, “Forgive me, even in my dream I could only make you cry.” She pulled Solar closer and kissed her forehead, then her eyelids, before she gently kissed her lips.