The Most Beautiful Sunrise

RESTART

After having dinner and returning to their respective rooms, Moonbyul twisted and turned in her bed. I wonder if she’s asleep. She sat up and ruffled her hair. What should I do? I miss her already. She placed her hands on her hips and wandered around her room. I want to talk to her. Before she knew it, she was already standing in front of Solar’s bedroom door. She raised her hand to knock but hesitated, what if she’s sleeping?

Solar lay on her bed, feeling conflicted as she thought about their evening together. It feels nice to spend time with her again. She squeezed her pillow as she planted her face in it. I know we should keep our distance, but I want to see her. Is it selfish of me to want that? She sat up and rubbed her temple. I should go get some air.

When Solar opened her door and saw a dark silhouette standing on the other side, her face turned pale. G-g-ghost! “AHHH!!!!” she screamed and slammed the door shut. She jumped on her bed and hid under her blanket. Don’t come in here. Don’t come in here. Don’t come in here. She clasped her hands together and prayed.

Moonbyul was surprised and happy when Solar opened the door, but Solar’s sudden scream startled her before she could give her greeting. What the heck? Why did she scream? She knocked on the door and asked, “A-are you okay?” Solar didn’t respond so she let herself in.

Hearing the knocking on the door, Solar blocked her ears and chanted, “Please, go away. Please, go away. Please, go away.” When she heard the door open, she prayed even harder. It’s in my room! Why is this happening to me!? She was bawling on the inside.

Upon entering the room, Moonbyul saw a circular bundle quaking on the bed. Is she okay? She quickly made her approach and placed her hand on Solar’s back. “What’s wrong?” she asked concernedly.

“AHHH!!!” Solar jumped back and wailed.

“W-what’s wrong?” She was taken aback. “Do you not feel well?”

It took Solar a second to realize who was sitting in front of her. “Byul ah?” She peeked out from under her blanket.

“Y-yes?”

“Byul ahhh!” She hugged Moonbyul and sobbed.

She embraced Solar. “W-what’s wrong?”

“I thought you were a ghosttttt!!!”

She’s so adorable! Moonbyul laughed at Solar’s answer. “Still scared, huh?”

Solar separated herself from Moonbyul and playfully slapped Moonbyul’s arm. “Still mean, huh?”

“Ow~, said the person who just slapped me.”

“What?” Solar furrowed her brow and pouted.

She smiled sweetly and dried Solar’s tears. “I said you’re beautiful,” she whispered.

“You’re still the same. Always teasing me.”

“I’m not.” She tucked Solar’s hair behind her ear. “I mean it.”

Solar smiled and met Moonbyul’s gaze. “You couldn’t sleep either?”

She nodded, “mhm.”

“What were you doing in front of my door?”

Moonbyul scratched the back of her head and smiled nervously. “I was going to watch the sunrise. I wanted to ask you to join me, but I didn’t know if you were awake. I was wondering if I should knock on your door when you opened it and screamed.”

“What did you expect? Surprising me in the dark like that? My heart is still pounding.”

“Let me hear it.” She pulled Solar closer and pressed her ear against Solar’s chest.

“H-hey!” She blushed. You’re just going to make it beat faster, you dolt!

“It is fast! I think it’s getting faster!” She sounded as if she was fascinated by it.

“Alright, that’s enough!” She yanked Moonbyul off.

“So~ since you can’t sleep,” she played with her fingers excitedly. “Want to watch the sunrise with me?” she asked cutely.

“I would love to.” Solar smiled.

Moonbyul stood up and offered Solar her hand. “Take my hand. I’ll protect you, so you don’t have to be scared.”

Solar happily obliged. They held hands and walked to the front porch. The feeling of happiness filled their hearts. They closed their eyes to enjoy the bright moonlight embracing them, the gentle wind brushing past their skin, the fresh air lifting their spirits, and the warmth of their hands merging as one.

“It feels nice, being here with you,” Solar said sweetly, turning towards Moonbyul.

“I agree.” Moonbyul smiled and pulled her closer.

Solar knew what was about to happen, so she quickly changed the subject. “D-do you have tea?”

“Mhm,” she nodded. “Do you want some?”

“Tea would be nice.”

“Want anything else? I can make it for you.”

“Just tea is fine.”

“Okay! I’ll make it right away.” She didn’t want to make Solar wait any longer than necessary. In her rush, she tripped and almost fell.

“Careful!” Solar said worriedly. “Let me help you.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I insist.”

“It’s been a while since I tasted the tea you made,” she said cutely.

“I hope it still tastes good.”

“I’m sure it’ll be delicious.”

Solar filled the tea kettle and placed it on the burner. “You know, you don’t have to try so hard for me. I—” Moonbyul hugged her from behind and her mind went blank, she couldn’t remember what she wanted to say.

She leaned next to Solar’s ear and whispered, “If it’s for you, nothing is hard.” She turned Solar around, wrapped her arms around Solar’s waist, and pulled her closer. “As long as you’re happy. Yong-Sun, I’m willing to do anything for you.”

Moonbyul lifted Solar’s chin and moved their lips closer together. Solar closed her eyes and let her instincts take control. She had debated many times, wondering if they would just end up hurting each other again. However, when Moonbyul was nearby, she was unable to think logically; unable to control the feelings overwhelming her heart. Their lips were about to touch when the whistling of the tea kettle grabbed Solar’s attention. She broke away from Moonbyul, her face was hot and her heart was racing.

“C-can you get the tea leaves?” she said shyly, keeping her attention on making the tea and trying her best to avoid eye contact with Moonbyul.

Moonbyul bit her lip softly, feeling disappointed. Damn, I was so close too. “Do you want any mint or honey in your tea?” She smiled sweetly.

“N-no, thank you.” She shook her head fervently, unable to turn towards Moonbyul.

“Here, let me help you.” She grabbed the handle of the kettle, touching Solar’s hand in the process. In her flustered state, Solar almost let go of the handle before Moonbyul had a good grip on it. “Why don’t you sit down? I’ll finish the tea and bring it over.” She said sweetly.

“Thanks,” she said shyly and quicken her pace to the front porch.

Solar took her seat and tried to calm her racing heart. She swallowed and counted backward from ten, taking a deep breath with each number. As she got closer to one, she could feel her composure returning, her heart slowing down, and her mind clearing from its blanket of fog. She let out a sigh of relief and opened her eyes. She was greeted by a sweet smile from Moonbyul, who had brought the tea and was waiting patiently by her side. She quickly turned away, feeling her heart racing once more.

“It’s cute when you get like that,” Moonbyul mumbled, smiling happily as she sipped the tea.

“What?” Solar looked at Moonbyul and raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing.” She shook her head and grinned.

“Did I do something funny?”

Moonbyul shook her head. “I’m happy that we can spend time like this. It feels like we were never apart.” She met Solar’s gaze and smiled sweetly. “I’m happy that you’re still the same Yong-Sun that I love.”

Solar rubbed the side of her tea cup before giving it a sip. “I’m glad to see you smiling again.”

“How’s the tea?”

“It’s good.”

“Does it still taste the same?”

“Yes.” Solar smiled happily.

“That’s good.” She looked down at her tea. “When do you start work?”

“The day after tomorrow.”

“Which hospital?”

“Central.”

“The one nearby?”

“Mhm,” she nodded. “What about you? How’s work at the precinct?”

“I made detective a while back,” she said proudly.

“Congrats. Does it keep you busy?”

“Sometimes. Mostly with the paperwork.” She held Solar’s hand, “Don’t worry, I’m keeping myself safe.”

Solar looked up at her and smiled. She placed her head on Moonbyul’s shoulder and they sipped their tea together. I’m glad we can sit here, drink tea, and chat. Just like old times. It felt as if time had turned back, to the days when they were lost in their own bliss. Moonbyul recounted the many cases she had worked on. The spark in her eyes when she spoke about her work captivated Solar, filling her with joy. She couldn’t help but smile. I’m glad you’re still able to do what you love.

She fell asleep listening to Moonbyul’s sweet voice. Moonbyul carefully carried Solar in her arms. She tucked Solar into bed. The sun was beginning to rise and its light slowly crawled on Solar’s face. She kissed Solar’s forehead and placed their heads together before whispering, “Sweet dreams, my love. You’re the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen.”