A Sweet Smile

RESTART

After being away for two days, Moonbyul was finally on her way back home. I wonder if she’s asleep. She took a glance at her watch, it’s already past ten. I didn’t think I’d be away for this long. I really wanted to spend more time with her too. She gave a long sigh.

“I would have been home sooner if not for you!” She raised the paper bag to eye level and reprimanded it. “I hope she still likes to eat sweet rice cakes,” she mumbled as she lowered it back down to her side.

She recalled the ordeal she had to go through to convince the owner to sell her some deep-fried sweet rice cakes. When she got to the store, it was already closed, the stove almost completely cooled, and the owner was ready to head upstairs to rest. However, after listening to Moonbyul’s story and seeing her sincerity, the owner made an exception. She had set aside some rice cakes for her grandchildren but decided to give them to Moonbyul and make a fresh batch the next day.

Successful in her mission, Moonbyul happily walked home with the sweet rice cakes in hand. It’s her first day at work. I wonder how it went? I hope she’s not too tired. She looked at the bag of rice cakes once more and smiled at the thought of seeing Solar’s happy face. I hope this will make her happy. We can enjoy it with some tea.

As she got closer to her home, she noticed a car appearing from behind the hill. Its headlights blinded her for a moment. She closed her eyes and looked away before turning back around. By then, the car had stopped in front of her home. Who could that be at this time of night? She pondered as her brow slightly furrowed with curiosity.

Although it had stopped, no one exited the vehicle. I wonder if they’re lost. Moonbyul tried to identify the people inside the car, but from where she was standing, it was difficult. The headlights shining in her direction only made it harder. I guess if they’re lost I can help them out. With that in mind, she continued heading home as well as towards the car that was parked in front of it.

It didn’t take long before Moonbyul was stopped in her tracks. She watched as Solar exited the vehicle and a man followed suit only moments later. Who is he? He placed his hands on Solar’s shoulders as they chatted. Why is he acting so intimate? She furrowed her brow and bit her lip. What are they talking about?

***********************************

Seung-Ho and Solar pulled up to the house. The night was dark, the moonlight dim. Solar couldn’t see that Moonbyul was standing down the road.

“Is this where you live?” Seung-Ho questioned as he scanned the house’s exterior.

“Yes, it’s quite nice here,” she replied with a smile as she glanced over at her home. “Well, it’s getting late. I have to rest up for tomorrow. You should too.”

“Wait,” he grabbed her hand. “Is it alright if I come by to pick you up tomorrow?”

She thought for a moment before replying, “You don’t have to.”

“I want to,” he said sincerely.

She smiled and nodded, Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow, then?”

“Okay,” he grinned happily.

Solar stepped out of the car and bid Seung-Ho a goodnight.

Should I let it end like this? He bit his lip and gave a slight sigh. I—I don’t want it to end this way. As she was heading in, he quickly unbuckled his seat-belt and went after her.

He placed his hands on her shoulders as he spoke, “I wanted to thank you for spending the evening with me. It was lovely, and having you there made it even more beautiful.”

She shook her head. “I should be thanking you,” she smiled. “Thank you for a wonderful evening.”

Her smile made his heart skip a beat. He pulled her closer and hugged her tightly in his arms. She was surprised at first, but felt that it was nothing more than a friendly gesture. It was no different than when they were studying together. She gave him a few friendly taps on his back, acknowledging his gesture towards her.

“Yong-Sun ah, I’m really happy to see you again.”

Me too,” she replied sweetly.

Seung-Ho was content and went back to his car. They said goodbye once again before he drove away, a smile lit his face as he glanced at Solar from his rear view mirror.

***********************************

Moonbyul couldn’t make out the details of Solar and Seung-Ho’s conversation, but she wasn’t happy seeing how close they were to each other. I want to get closer, but—if it makes her happy, I shouldn’t interfere. In the end, she chose to stand and watch from afar.

When Seung-Ho hugged Solar, Moonbyul bit her lip and clenched her fists, crumpling part of the paper bag that she was holding in her hand. She took a step forward but could only sigh before she retreated again. If she doesn’t push him away, who am I to intervene? The thought made her heart ache. After their brief exchange, Solar happily waved goodbye to him. Look how happy she is. Is he important to her? Does this mean my chance with her has passed? She smiled wryly at the thought.

As Seung-Ho drove past her, their eyes met for the first time, not knowing that this wasn’t their first encounter. Moonbyul stood in front of her home, hesitant about going in. If I head in now, will I be able to stop myself from asking about him? She let out a long sigh. What will I do if she says that she loves him? She closed her eyes and held her hand to her chest. The thought brought tears to her eyes.

I should stop thinking about that. As long as she’s happy, none of it matters. She took a deep breath and donned her happiest smile. As she approached the door, she tried to calm the storm brewing within her heart. Her hand slightly shook as she reached for the handle. When she opened it, the sweetest smile greeted her from the other side.

“I’m home,” Moonbyul said sweetly.

“Welcome home.”