Detective Vs. Doctor

RESTART

Moonbyul was already up by the break of dawn. I wonder what kind of person he is? She leaned against the wall beside her window and glared at the street. Her fingers impatiently tapping the side of her leg as she waited for this mysterious man. He can’t be all that bad if Solar became his friend, right? She mentally profiled him as she planned her next move. If I go by what she said, he is a nice guy. What if I ask to tag along and go to the hospital with them? She crossed her arms and gently bit her lip. But what will my reason be? Sickness? She sighed. That wouldn’t work, they’re doctors. No ride? She glanced over at her perfectly working motorcycle and grumbled.

Pacing back and forth, she wasn’t able to come up with a valid excuse. She sat on her bed and ruffled her hair in frustration. Suddenly, a smile lit up her face and she quickly tiptoed outside. She crossed her arms and stared down at her bike. With one knee in the grass, she gave it a gentle pat as she whispered, “I’m sorry, but there’s no other way.” She raised the tool, which was tightly gripped in her hands and gave her bike a final apologetic look.Here goes nothing,” she smiled as she began to siphon the gas.

I’m sorry to have to do this to you.” The soft grunting sound accompanied almost her every word as she loosened the bolts on the wheels. “Now this is a valid reason!” She smiled cheerily as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. The end result was what she had hoped for, an unusable motorcycle or one that seemed as if it was bought for parts. Giving her bike a reassuring pat, she said confidently, I promise I’ll fix you up later.” She scurried to the side of the house, detached bike wheel in hand, and hid it between the bushes. After placing the tools and gas can there as well, she sneaked back to her room as if nothing had happened.

Seung-Ho arrived not long after Moonbyul had returned to her room. Am I early? He double checked the time and paused for a moment. Good, I’m on time. He took a deep breath and checked himself in the mirror. I hope I look okay. He hadn’t realize he was more conscientious than usual to look his best. He slid his hand along the side of his head and down his neck before as he let out a loud nervous sigh.

“Here goes nothing,” he whispered before exiting his vehicle. He could feel his heartbeat quicken at the thought of seeing Solar and an unwitting smile lit across his face. He paced back and forth, rubbing the back of his neck, biting the side of his bottom lip as he took another deep breath before leaning against his car.

As for Solar, the teasing from the previous night, courtesy of Moonbyul, had made her giddy. She was wide awake but had forgotten to check the time. I really should stop dilly-dallying, she thought as she glanced over the clock. While she grabbed a change of clothes, she replayed her night with Moonbyul and smiled shyly. The sun is nice and bright, she thought as she approached the window to open it.

She took in a breath of fresh air and stretched underneath the morning sun. The weather is really beautiful today, she smiled happily until she noticed what was right in front of her. She was shocked to see Seung-Ho. Wh-why is he here? She pondered for a brief moment before it struck her. I forgot I agreed to go to work with him today!

Seung-Ho was leaning against his car, his hands tucked in his pants pockets. When he saw Solar opening her window and stretching happily, he couldn’t help but smile. The moment she looked his way, he gave her a wave to greet her. It didn’t take long before she vanished from his sight. Her hair is still messy, he chuckled. I guess she just got up. How adorable, he smiled shyly when the thought crossed his mind.

I can’t believe I forgot my promise to him! Solar felt horrible that she hadn’t even gotten remotely ready. I need to get ready, she grumbled. I should already be ready! She grabbed more than she needed and dashed out of her room. In her rush, she kept dropping the items she was holding in her hands, causing quite a commotion.

Moonbyul was sizing up Seung-Ho from the shadow of her room. No matter how much she inspected him she came up with the same conclusion, he has everything that I do. What if he—the sudden noise inside the house caught her attention. That doesn’t sound good. I should go check it out.

As she approached the hallway, which was located closer to Solar’s room, a silhouette appeared from the corner of her eye. She reacted as quickly as she could, but it was too late to avoid bumping into each other. It was fortunate that her quick reflexes and training helped save them both from falling over.

When Solar noticed Moonbyul in front of her, she attempted to stop, but the floor was slippery due to the soapy water she had spilled earlier. She lost her footing when she stepped on it and fell towards Moonbyul. She closed her eyes and let out a soft yelp as she waited for the impact.

Careful,” Moonbyul scolded. Her brow furrowed but her eyes were filled with worry. Her hands were on Solar’s waist, while Solar’s were on her chest. Tilted at a 45 degree angle, they almost looked as if they were prepare to do a ballet pose.

“S-sorry.”

She met Solar’s gaze and shook her head slightly as she smile. “I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

I know. I’ll be careful. She left as quickly as she came.

Wait—I—I wasn’t finish... she mumbled sadly.

Solar was already too far to hear Moonbyul’s soft call. There was nothing Moonbyul could do in their brief exchange, all she could really do was sigh. Well, I’ve done enough spying. It’s time I go meet the man of the hour, she smiled confidently as she straightened her clothes. She took a deep breath before opening the front door. When their eyes met, time seemed to slow.

He has a face that seems kind and caring, but he smiles like an idiot. She wanted to shake her head and sigh. What did she sees in him anyway? Wait—what am I saying!? They’re not together! Idiot, Moonbyul! Why did you think that? Do you want them to be together!? She gritted her teeth and let out a soft groan. To make me think that way, he’s a much more formidable love rival than I had anticipated.

When Seung-Ho glanced up and saw Moonbyul, he was surprised, almost like he was mesmerized. She’s really beautiful, but is she glaring at me? I wonder what it’d be like if she’d smile instead. He wanted to avoid eye contact but felt wrong to do so. The way she’s looking at me is definitely not friendly, but I don’t feel any hostility either. He furrowed his brows slightly and pondered some more, does she sees me as a rival? He shook his head and smiled at the silly thought. There’s no way. What would our rivalry even be in? I’m such an idiot for thinking that. I should introduce myself before I get any other weird ideas.

Hello. I’m Seung-Ho,” he extended his greeting. “You must be her housemate.”

You could say that,” she nonchalantly replied. “Moonbyul.” She shook his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you.”

The pleasure is mine. Are you her boyfriend?” she slyly inquired.

“If only that was true,” he sighed and scratched the back of his head.

What do you mean?” She raised an eyebrow. “You don’t like her?”

“No, no, I do!” He blushed. “It—it just that—”

“Just what?” A gloom appeared on Moonbyul’s face.

Did I just make her angry? “It’s kind of hard to talk about.”

“You didn’t tell her how you feel?”

“I-I did! Last night, I did...” Why do I feel like this is an interrogation?

“Y-you did?” H-he did! Moonbyul’s eyes widened. W-what did he say to her!? Why didn’t she say anything? Now they’re even going to work together! Calm down, Moonbyul, calm down. It can’t be that bad. She composed herself to continued her inquiries. “H-how did it go?”

“I’m not sure,” he sighed softly.

“What do you mean? Did she reject you?” There was a hint of joy in her voice.

“No, I don’t think so,” he slightly shook his head. “I feel like I still have a chance.”

She didn’t say no to him? Moonbyul was a bit heartbroken. Wait, no, I shouldn’t feel sad. She didn’t say yes either! I have to take this chance! “Where are you headed?” Moonbyul knew the answer but it didn't stop her from asking.

She seems giddy all of a sudden? Did something I say made her happy? Seung-Ho raised an eyebrow. “I work at the Central Hospital nearby. Solar also works there. I came to pick her up for work,” he answered happily, a silly smile gracing his lips.

“What a coincidence!” She pretended to be surprised. “I also need to go to the Central Hospital!”

“Do you feel unwell? Is it serious?” He was genuinely concerned.

“No, it’s not a health related concern. I’m heading there for an investigation.”

“Investigation?” he questioned. “You are—?”

A detective,” she said proudly.

“A detective?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Do you want to see my badge?”

“There’s no need,” he respectfully declined.

“Do you mind giving me a ride? My motorcycle is a little beat up.”

“I could take a look at it for you.”

“You don’t have to.”

It’s not a bother. May I?”

“By all means.” She stepped aside to give him the view of her bike in all of its glory.

Without having to approach it, he could clearly see the problem. However, that didn’t deter him from giving it a proper inspection. After he was finished, he turned to her and asked, “Do you have a spare tire and tools?”

“I’ll have to look—but aren’t you a bit short on time?

He glanced at his watch. “You’re right,” He sighed.

“If it’s not convenient for you to give me a ride, I can find another.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that,” he said apologetically as he stood up. “Of course, it’s fine for you to come along.”

“Thanks.” She turned away; her smile was almost sinister.

Solar was happy to be ready for work without further incident. As she headed toward the car, she noticed something odd. She glanced back and forth between Seung-Ho and Moonbyul. Are they friends already? That was fast.

The moment they noticed her, they gave her the sweetest smile they knew. She returned the gesture as she made her approach. They were mesmerized by her slightest movement. The gracefulness of her fingers as she placed a locked of silky hair behind her ear. Her sweeter-than-sugar smile made their hearts quicken to the point that they were synchronizing. “I wish this moment could stop,” they both whispered joyfully. They never once lifted their gazes from her, even when she was right in front of them.

“You look beautiful today.” They spoke at the same time, which not only surprised Solar but themselves as well.

Thank you.” She raised an eyebrow as she looked down at herself. I don’t think I did anything special today. “You two seems to be getting along well. If I didn’t know any better, I would think that you two were friends,” she teased.

Y-Yeah!” He stuttered, “I was getting to know you—I-I mean your roommate, Moonbyul.”

“Are you okay?” Solar approached him and placed her hand on his forehead. “You’re sweating.”

“I-I’m okay,” he chuckled nervously.

“That’s no good. Give me a sec,” Solar opened her purse and as she was pulling out a piece of cloth, Moonbyul stepped in.

I know where this is going. “Let me,” she proclaimed and yanked out a handkerchief from her pocket.

She quickly took a step forward and proceeded to wiped the sweat off of Seung-Ho’s forehead, being as gentle as she could to a rival. What am I doing? Why didn’t I just hand it to him? She tried her best to be thorough, however it was impossible since she avoided eye contact.

This is not awkward at all… “Th-thank you,” he spoke quickly and grabbed the handkerchief, touching her hand in the process. “I’ll do it myself.”

Moonbyul pulled her hand away and nodded uncomfortably. Thank god that’s over. I should really think before I leap next time. They both gave a sigh of relief before smiling awkwardly at each other. Solar raised an eyebrow at Moonbyul, unable to understand her actions.

“Are you alright? You’re acting a bit—” Solar stop to ponder, unsure how to describe it.

“I’m great!” Moonbyul said confidently. “I’m not acting like whatever it is you’re thinking about.”

“How would you know what I’m thinking about?”

“I might or I might not,” she smiled mischievously.

“...” Seung-Ho felt left out, but it was impossible to join in on their conversation.

“Okay then... I’m going to work now,” Solar sighed and turned towards the car, Seung-Ho opened the door for her.

“I’m going with you,” she exclaimed before Solar could get inside the car.

“What!?” The shock on Solar’s face was priceless. “You are!?”

“Yeah!” She nodded as if that was a given.

“Why? Are you hurt!?” Solar said worriedly, spinning Moonbyul around to analyze her.

“No, of course not!” She assured. “It’s for work.”

Did something happen?” She turned to Seung-Ho and questioned anxiously.

Seung-Ho shook his head, “I’m not sure,” before turning to Moonbyul for an answer.

“Nothing happened there,” she explained, “I just have some questions I need to ask.”

“Isn’t today your day off?”

“Yes, but this came up last minute. I can’t get into details. You know that.”

“And your motor…” before Solar could finish her sentence, she noticed the state that it was in. “Oh my God! What happened to your bike!?”

“There’s something wrong with it,” she answered nonchalantly.

“Something wrong!” she proclaimed very expressively, “Have you seen it!? It’s missing a wheel! What the hell happened!? It was fine last night!”

“What can I say?” she felt compelled to avoid eye contact. “It’s under investigation.”

Why are you so calm about it?” She tried to get Moonbyul to look at her. “You know who did it, don’t you?”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“You do know! Who is it!?”

What would you do if I tell you?”

What do you think?” She smiled menacingly and cracked her knuckles.

What would she do if she knew it was me? Moonbyul smiled nervously. Don’t think about it! Don’t think about it! Just don’t tell her! “I cannot tell you.”

“What do you mean you can’t tell me!?”

Look at the time!” Moonbyul quickly glanced at her watch. “You’ll be late for work.”

She opened the backseat door and lead Solar in. Solar followed without hesitation while still giving Moonbyul a piece of her mind. She got in after Solar and closed the door, trying her best to calm Solar down. However, it seemed Solar was determined to track down the culprit.

Seung-Ho was left standing there, he sighed and closed the lonely passenger door he was holding onto. They’re closer than I thought. Did they really only meet recently? It doesn’t seem like it. He pondered as he proceeded to the driver side, sighing softly before getting in. As he was getting ready to drive, he glanced in the rear-view mirror at Solar. I’ve known her for so long, but I’ve never seen this side of her. I should feel happy, and yet… He felt a sting in his heart and a sad smile crossed his lips.