Chapter 07

When The Sun Falls

 

Niece?


The word rattles around inside her head like a swarm of angry bees. The Queen is a relative? Her late mother’s sister, no less. She feels the pit of her stomach start to churn at the thought of a family member after her life, sending fear and anger alike pulsing through her system and bile builds at the back of .

Wonshik stays silent and his shoulders sag like a sudden weight has been lifted. He furrows his brows.

“She’ll be furious,” he rasps in a broken whisper that sounds so weak coming from a young man like himself, “we will be punished, she'll use her magic to hurt you again,"

She gasps quietly at the mention of such torture and feels her eyes brim with tears, shaking hands calmed only when Jaehwan's comforting touch on her shoulder keeps her from crying out. Sanghyuk releases a breathy laugh, no doubt relieved of finally getting through to his brother.

“I’d rather have that than watch you have to kill an innocent girl.”

Her heart soars and she can't help but feel selfish. Sanghyuk has done so much to protect her and she can't stand the thought of him having to suffer because of her. But there's nothing she can do, really.

Wonshik smiles thinly and nods his agreement, loosening his tight grip on the reins.

"You're right. She did nothing wrong."

Another small pause as Eun swishes her tail.

"What now?" asks Hongbin, "do you think it's safe to return to the castle?"

"I suppose so. We'll tell the Queen that we couldn't find her. It isn't exactly false," Wonshik replies and chews his lip, "Her Majesty will no doubt send others after Snow White to finish the job we couldn't," his voice wavers slightly, "I wish we could warn her,"

She sees Hongbin nodding his approval.

"It's settled then," he says and with that, the three huntsmen gallop out of her sight for the last time, filling the clearing with a still silence once again.

Jaehwan stands and helps her to her feet, a caring hand on her waist making her blood burn.

"I will keep you safe," he promises and it sounds like a declaration more than anything else, "do you trust me?"

She shouldn't. She really shouldn't trust this strange, yet charming sorcerer. But there's no doubt about the fact that he's powerful and she can't deny that she already feels protected. This is the young man that Hakyeon sent, after all.

"Yes, I do," she nods and butterflies explode in her stomach. Jaehwan smiles and takes her gently by the hand.

"Very good. Follow me," 

He takes her to a small valley surrounded by hills and low cliffs. A stone tower covered with veins of ivy sits nestled beside a waterfall, feeding the river that winds over the rolling hills. The windows overlook a stretch of trees that thin out along the riverside, giving off the aura of a private sanctuary. The sound of rushing water and singing birds fill her ears and she closes her eyes, letting the wind brush her face and already feels at ease.

"This is my home," Jaehwan announces with a chuckle and spreads his arms to beckon to his surroundings.

"You live here?" her question is breathless and she glances in the direction of the tower.

"Yes," he replies, "but it gets quite lonely being by myself,"

He whistles suddenly, shrill and clear and there's a response in the distance as several songbirds answer his call. Doves swoop down from above and land gracefully on his arms and shoulders, one cooing as it studies the girl from atop his head. They both chuckle.

"They're my lookouts and my only friends," he pretends to pout and hisses as the dove tightens the grip in his hair, "which is why I'm glad to finally have another human to talk to,"

Laughter fills the air and she feels delightfully light headed.

They sit on the flat stones that dot the riverbank chatting, breaching the distance between them easily with light conversation. She laughs at something he said and feels her cheeks starting to ache from smiling so much.

"I suppose you'd like to hear an explanation about everything," he says softly after the sound of their amusement had died down. She glances to her hands folded in her lap and nods as curiosity overtakes her.

"Not so long ago, I lived in the castle," Jaehwan starts, "I was the Queen's right hand man, and everywhere she went I followed,"

She perks up in surprise and he looks out beyond the river as if to avoid her gaze. His expression is hard to read, like the memory is full of mixed emotions.

"But Her Highness saw my reaction to how she treated the underlying monarchy, those below her. She started getting anxious and paranoid and eventually cast me out, screaming about how my magic was becoming too powerful. She was afraid of me and what I might have done,"

Jaehwan smirks and a playful fire burns in his eyes. One of pride.

"It was true, I was becoming stronger. Being around her for so long, I learned her weaknesses and she saw me as a threat. The Queen disposes of those that challenge her and I was no different,"

The fire wavers and his smile thins. She feels her heart clench in anticipation.

"She rules through manipulation and fear," he breathes, "She made an example of me, cursed me to these woods to ensure I know my place,"

He takes her silence as an invitation to continue, voice low and soft.

"The instant I step out from the border of the tree line, my heart will stop,"

She sits completely stunned, mouth agape and the corners of his mouth turn up in a gentle smile. He reaches out to touch her chin, closing her lips together.

"So as long as we stay here, I'll be able to keep us safe," he states and easily brushes off the mention of the curse like it's nothing. Once more, his expression turns serious and his gaze hardens.

"And I will do everything in my power to protect you, Snow White," Jaehwan states with a confidence that sets her heart aflutter, "Queen Valaine wishes to get rid of the last remaining heir to the throne. You," his jaw clenches and he turns back to the water, "I will not let that happen,"

Her mind swirls with thoughts and questions she can't manage to sort out, only sits there in comfortable silence.

That meant she was technically royalty. Heir to the throne, a princess. Every child's dream. She remembers times when the village girls would weave crowns of flowers and play pretend, laughing, flushing at the idea of marrying a handsome, make believe prince. She thinks of Yue and Luan.

But the fantasy quickly turns sour as she pictures this woman casting a reign of terror over the kingdom all because they shared the same bloodline. The pained look in Sanghyuk's eyes as he begged her to run, Wonshik's harsh words towards his younger brother only to reveal that he was willing to do all this in hopes of protecting him from the Queen's magic, and now Jaehwan with his curse.

Everything traces back to Queen Valaine and she wants nothing more than to severe the line of descent if it means she'll stop hurting others.

"She's also envious of your beauty,"

The words jolt her back to the present and she can see that Jaehwan is grinning.

"What? What do you mean?"

Jaehwan chuckles and the relaxed atmosphere settles over them once again as he leans back on his hands.

"Oh, come now. You're very beautiful. Anyone can see that," his gaze lingers for a second too long and she feels on fire, “another thing Her Highness wants for herself. Jealousy is ugly,"