Chapter 10

When The Sun Falls

 

The basket is filled with freshly rinsed vegetables and she thanks Taekwoon for his help. They both stand to brush off the dirt from their clothes.

"I will return in a few days, miss," says Taekwoon, hopping back onto his mount in a single fluid motion, "I never asked for your name, did I?"

"It's Snow White,"

"Snow White," he echoes with a smile, "very well. Until we meet again, Snow White," he dips his head in a slight bow and canters off. She gazes off into the tree line for several moments even after he disappears from sight, a foreign fire burning bright in her chest. 

"Your pulse is battering like crazy, try and relax," Jaehwan chuckles with her head tucked beneath his chin, "tell me about what you did today, darling," he inquires softly, "you know I like hearing that,"

She lets out a soft sigh and focuses on the darkness manifesting behind her eyelids.

"I did some gardening, your stag is becoming quite protective," she murmurs and can't help her smile. She hears Jaehwan chuckle.

"He's growing fond of you,"

She hums in response, feeling his broad shoulders against her back.

"What else?"

She decides to tell him. She was surprised as well when Taekwoon appeared, after all.

"A young man came by the riverside and asked for my name."

There's a breath of a pause as Jaehwan starts to run his fingers through her hair and she's relieved that he doesn't seem to be alarmed.

"That's rather odd," he muses softly, "not many come through this part of the forest,"

"We talked for quite awhile. He introduced himself as Taekwoon,"

The pause is noticeable this time, his fingers still.

"Prince Taekwoon came by?"

That gets her attention. She sits up, eyes flying open.

"Shhh.." flusters Jaehwan, laughing softly and places a hand on her shoulder, "lie back down, sweetheart. I didn't mean to startle you,"

He rearranges themselves to his liking, an arm draped over her waist and bringing her back to him.

"Prince?" she almost grumbles with a slight pout, earning another chuckle from Jaehwan.

"He's very wise. The sudden death of his father shook his entire kingdom and he came to the throne at a young age," Jaehwan muses, "he's practically already King with how well he handles his responsibilities,"

She hums again. No wonder he had been so soft spoken. A complex mind and a quiet soul.

"It's time to sleep," he says and that's the end of that. 

If Jaehwan is her moon, Taekwoon is the sun. As promised, he returns. He brings her gifts, rich fabrics and candied fruits that they share underneath the shade of the trees, enjoying the sweetness spreading over their tongues. He doesn't mention anything of his status, nor does she about knowing of such status, but regardless, they're comfortable.

They hike through the forest and discover a hidden lake tucked away behind rocky plateaus. When she tears the hem of her dress, he ties back the fabric with careful fingers and a quiet smile. The lake is a silvery blue, not knowing where sky ends and water begins. An eternal mirror.

His voice is different from Jaehwan's when he sings, all heart and spirit and letting it carry across the water as they sit side by side, a fresh change from hushed lullabies. They doze in the midday sun and eat a lunch of berries and dried meat that he brought with.

She's starting to love the day.

 

"He's spending a lot of time with you," whispers Jaehwan one night into the crook of her neck, "that's what my doves tell me,"

She feels a sudden pang of guilt, as if she's been having an affair. It was true, Taekwoon had been coming to see her almost every afternoon. Her heart twists.

"I'm sorry," she says, "it's foolish of me to get close to a stranger when you're doing so much to try and keep me safe,"

He settles closer, breath hot against her skin.

"I'm envious of him," Jaehwan murmurs. She turns to peak up at him through her lashes.

"Taekwoon has you all to himself during daylight. The only time I have with you is when you're asleep in my arms," he tells her softly with a smile and emphasizes his point with a fleeting touch down her side. Her cheeks burn and he apologizes with another chuckle, soothing words causing her eyelids to droop.

"But I enjoy it none the less, darling,"

 

Taekwoon offers to take her back to his kingdom.

"We have some superb vendors in town from out of country," he tells her, twirling a blade of grass between his fingers, "the street food is absolutely delicious, there's rice cake that I want you to try. I'm sure you'll love it,"

She wants to, she really does want to go see his home, but something tugs at her heartstrings at the idea of leaving the forest entirely. Leaving Jaehwan.

So she politely declines.

"Someday," Taekwoon says and looks out across the lake with that small smile.