Chapter 03

When The Sun Falls

 

 

They enter a tavern for an early supper, wooden chairs scraping against the floor as the group seats themselves to their liking. Orders are placed and food is brought to their table and the men dig in without hesitation, while the girls eye each other in amusement as they continue to devour the meat like a pack of ravenous wolves.

"Sorry," muffles Sanghyuk with his mouth full of food, earning a light slap to the head from Hongbin, "we haven't eaten anything all day,"

Conversation flows between them and she feels herself starting to relax in their presence despite their high ranking status, nerves finally melting away. Wonshik's joking and Hongbin's utter embarrassment at his brother eases the tensions and laughter comes to them easily.

It's hours later when they all finally rise with full stomachs and light hearts. The tab is paid for and they exit the tavern, the sun just starting to set in the sky, tinting the clouds with hues of orange and red.

"We'll have to leave you here," says Yue with a slight frown as she glances up to the evening sky, "I didn't realize it was getting so late and mother will be looking for us soon. We're terribly sorry we can't come along with you,"

"That's alright," replies Sanghyuk with that reassuring smile, "thank you for spending the day with us,"

Her ears burn pink and she quickly curtseys one last time, muttering a hasty "come on, Luan. Did you even finish your chores?" before grabbing her by the arm and the two dash off and out of sight.

She follows the men back to the stables as they untie their horses. As they check their tack, she runs a hand over the mare's nose. The horse nuzzles her pockets, no doubt looking for a treat.

"She likes you," laughs Sanghyuk.

Hongbin and Wonshik mount and adjust their stirrups and Sanghyuk turns to her.

"Are you planning on walking the whole way?"

She blinks owlishly. She had only been planning to go to the edge of the village and instruct them on how to reach the next town over.

"If you don't mind, I'd like for you to come along with us for a little while, so we don't get lost," he says as if to answer her question. He scrunches his nose in a way she finds absolutely adorable and tightens the girth, "I'd hate to get lost. Again,"

She finds herself laughing, "I do know of some shortcuts. I suppose I can tag along,"

Sanghyuk nods in contentment and bends to one knee, cupping his hands together.

"After you,"

She boosts herself into the saddle and Sanghyuk shortly follows. She feels her skin grow hot at the fact that she practically has her chest pressed up against his back, arms looped around his waist to steady herself as he urges Eun into a brisk trot. His strawberry blonde hair tickles her nose and she's thankful that he can't see her blushing furiously.

"Why does Sanghyuk get to ride with her?" Wonshik grumpily whispers from in front of them to no one in particular, pursing his lips. She chuckles and looks out over Sanghyuk's shoulder at the passing landscape.

Rolling hills and peach colored clouds surround them. With her hometown being a farming village, they cultivated wheat and fresh vegetables to sell to the surrounding kingdom. Their countryside was truly picturesque, especially with the sun setting against the green backdrop.

"It's beautiful out here," Sanghyuk muses and follows her gaze, sensing her drawn attention, "this is actually my first time being this far from the castle,"

"Really?" she can't help the surprise in her voice, "even for your brothers?"

He shakes his head.

"No, they've traveled quite far for their hunting trips before. They like to hunt foxes, their pelts sell well among the courts men,"

She hums, turning to look back at her hometown now starting to fade in the distance.

"How do you like it?"

She senses him smile and he relaxes, slightly leaning back against her.

"I love it. There's so much happening, but in a slightly different way than in the castle, if that makes sense? Sure, there's commotion and people bustling about, but it's different here, it feels more comfortable. Back home, it's just a bunch of stiff necked old men haggling over money and politics,"

She laughs again and Sanghyuk starts to chuckle.

"What? It's true!"

The silence that follows is a comfortable one, broken only by the steady click of hooves and the occasional singing of birds flying overhead.

"Are you tired?"

Her eyes snap open and she quickly straightens upright, causing Eun's ears to curiously flick back in her direction. She had been nodding off, leaning against Sanghyuk's shoulder.

"It's alright," he chuckles, "you can sleep if you want, I don't mind,"

She shakes her head in embarrassment.

"No, it's okay. I'm sorry, that must have surprised you,"

Night has started to fall, the sky now a deep navy with streaks of the sunset like fire in the distance. The pinpricks of stars gradually peak from behind the clouds as the four riders continue their travel.

"There's woods up ahead, take the fork to the right," she calls to Wonshik when they come to a divide in the path. He slows down slightly, looking back at her over his shoulder.

"Are you sure? Maybe we should try and cut through, save some time,"

She frowns as the towering tree line comes into view.

"I don't think that's a good idea. It looks too dense to ride through and I'm not familiar with how to navigate through them, I believe it would only slow us down," she says before adding a hasty "Your Grace,"

He chuckles as Hongbin pulls up alongside him and the two men exchange looks before turning back to them.

"Don't worry," Wonshik says reassuringly, "Hongbin and I have ridden through wooded areas plenty of times on hunts. As long as Sanghyuk follows us, we can assure safe passage,"

He smirks, his eyes flaring with mischief and with a quick snap of the reins, turns Dal and urges her into a canter.

"So try and keep up, little brother,"

Sanghyuk visibly tenses up and Eun feels his nerves and starts to paw at the ground, tugging forward, eager to catch up.

"Hold on tight," he murmurs to the maiden and she nods.

They jerk forward as Eun takes off in a full gallop after Hongbin and Wonshik, the woods rushing past them in a blur. They clear over moss covered logs and fallen trees with ease and she really feels like she's flying with the way the wind snakes through her hair, laughing breathlessly and she can't help but tighten her grip around Sanghyuk's waist.

She looks to see Hongbin to her left, a look of modest surprise on his face as he and Wonshik slow down their mounts.

"Sanghyuk, wait! Wait! You win!" he laughs, "I'm sorry, I take it back!"