Youngjae

Online Dating

Youngjae yawned and stretched his arms over his head, it was getting a bit late but he wasn’t quite done with work for the night. With a sigh he turned his attention back down to the keyboard in front of him and his fingers hovered over the keys as he tried to figure out what to type. He was writing another email, the final one for the night, and despite it being over the same topic as the others he couldn’t seem to get the proper words out this time. For a moment he considered simply copying and pasting the information of his previous one into this but then thought better of it. These emails were personal to each YouTuber he was sending them too.

 

Recently he’d been getting quite the number of requests for more collaborations and tonight he was finally getting around to asking a few people if they would be interested. He already had one planned out for next week with a regular friend of his who starred in quite a number of his videos, Moon Jongup. His subscribers really loved all the videos they did together and so did Youngjae, it was much easier to film with an old friend rather than someone he’d just met hours before.

 

His fingers slowly began to type out the email, contents personalized for Jung Daehyun. He wasn’t quite sure about sending such a request, Daehyun wasn’t even subscribed to his channel so perhaps sending a request was a bit too much of a jump. Nonetheless he continued typing, staying formal with his request but not stiffly so. He kept things short and too the point, not wanting to ramble on and on as he knew he might if he was asking face to face.

 

Once he was finished Youngjae only saved the email as a draft, still debating on if he should actually send it or not. Recently there had been countless comments and requests for a collaboration with him, but Youngjae was a bit unsure he could fulfill this request from his subscribers. He stood from his chair and left to the kitchen, figuring he can contemplate it more while making himself dinner. Nothing too hard to make, it was already late at night and he should head to bed soon.

 

Even after he had finished making his food and settled into his chair with the television playing one of his favorite movies, Youngjae still hadn’t come to a conclusion. Technically the worst that could happen was denial, and he would just have to move on and maybe try another time in the future, but for some reason the idea of rejection was terrifying to him. Throughout all of the requests he’d sent, Youngjae had never been rejected, because usually he had talked a bit with everyone before asking about a video collaboration. This time though, he had no excuse to email Daehyun unless for the specific reason of asking. Youngjae set his empty plate down and ran a hand through his fluffy dark hair in frustration. He really didn’t know what to do.

 

And idea popped into his head and he picked up his phone to call a friend, one who always seemed to know what to do. He scrolled through his contacts and stopped at ‘Bang Yongguk’, someone he knew from high school that he was always able to rely on. With a quick tap to the call button and a moment of listening to a few rings, he heard the familiar deep voice and a warm smile spread across his face.

 

“Youngjae? It’s been awhile since i’ve heard from you, how’s the entertainment business treating you?” He could hear a smile in his old friend’s voice and the picture of it came to mind as easily as it always had.

 

“It’s going pretty well,” He replied, standing from the comfort of his chair so he could leisurely walk around his house, a habit he’d had for years and never bothered to try and shake. “Your job is more of entertainment than mine though.”

 

“I guess,” The deep voice replied, not sounding all too thrilled about their conversation topic. “recently it seems more like I’m doing it for the money than the fans though.” Yongguk had achieved his childhood dream only a few years back, he was a well loved musician whos lyrics held such a deep meaning sometimes very few could understand them. Youngjae was proud to say he understood most, though having known Yongguk for so long definitely contributed to his ability to do so. “I guess it’s just.. not what I expected it to be..” He trailed off, sounding a bit disappointed, and in what, Youngjae couldn’t tell.

 

“Sorry to hear.” He said, not quite knowing what advice to give. “Maybe you’re just focusing on that part of being an idol a bit too much though, try writing a song just for yourself, see how that goes for you.”

 

“Yeah.. Okay, I’ll give that a shot. Thanks Jae.” Youngjae smiled softly at the nickname and leaned against the counter in his kitchen. “Anyways, I’m guessing you didn’t call just to check in, what’s up?” Perceptive as ever, Yongguk could easily see through their bit of small talk and down to the root of the call.

 

“Well..” The younger began, not quite sure how to phrase the question. With a sigh he exited the kitchen and made his way to his laptop still sitting on his desk in the bedroom. He tapped it awake and opened a new tab to YouTube. “I’m not sure if I should request a collaboration with someone or not and I figured I could use an outside opinion.”

 

“Which YouTuber is it?” Yongguk didn’t exactly know many, he’d say his knowledge of them was limited to Youngjae and a small handful of others. Nonetheless he figured asking wouldn’t hurt.

 

“Daehyunnie.” Youngjae replied, sitting down and taking a quick look at his notifications. New comments, likes, subscribers… His eyes skimmed over the three new subscribers he’d received and his eyes widened in surprise. For a moment he wondered if he was seeing things correctly but after giving his eyes a quick rub and looking once more he realized it wasn’t a simple trick of the eye. “Actually I think I have it figured out but thanks anyways~” He said in practically a sing-song voice.

 

“Oh?” Yongguk asked in surprise, eyebrows lifting in curiosity and questioning but he decided it was best to leave the topic alone for now, he’d be told all of the details sooner or later and he could wait. “Well, if you’re all set I should get to writing that song I suppose. Bye Jae, good luck with things.”

 

“You too.” He replied, hanging up the phone and biting his lip to try and keep his smile at bay. He was practically giddy with excitement, wondering how on Earth he was supposed to go to sleep after finding out Daehyun followed him. Some way or another though he managed, slipping into sleep sometime around one in the morning and sleeping in until sometime near noon the next day.