Reassurance

Mechanical Love

When Amber was finally woken up she had skin on only her face. She still wasn’t able to speak but kept all her memories. “AMBER how are you feeling?” She opened to answer the scientist but nothing came out. Instead she had to lift up her hand and give a thumb up. “Fantastic. Your nervous system is working well I had to replace your speech chip but it should be updated now.” He pushed the chip into the back of her neck something clicked and then words flooded into Amber’s database; new words, different languages, mathematical equations.

“Where. Is. Jonghyun?” Amber asked figuring out the new chip.

“He’s over there we spent the last 3 days trying to fix you. He deserves a rest.” The scientist replied hooking up wires to her body. “This might be a little “Shocking”.” He giggled a little at his bad pun before sending pulses of electricity through her body.

“Sir…” Amber asked quietly. “am I human?

“What do you mean? Of course you aren’t. You are an It. You’re not real. You are literally something from my lab.” The scientist replied without looking at her. “Think of yourself as Frankenstein’s monster, and I’m doctor Frankenstein.” Amber knew the reference he was making as she had read it before. She knew deep down that this was true but she couldn’t help but feel like she was more than that.

After two hours she was finally able to stand up. She took a look in the mirror and saw her infrastructure. Every wire, every circuit, every bolt. Nothing there was real. She was just a machine. Nothing more. “Jonghyun wake up. Doesn’t it look good as new?” the scientist said waking up the boy. He looked over to Amber wide-eyed at the being in front of him. “Just think what I could upgrade, what I could change make it better make it more advanced.” Amber cringed every time the scientist said it and Jonghyun took notice.

“That’s fine and all but when can I take her home? Master is waiting for us.” He asked making eye-contact with Amber.

“Oh yes. Give me one more hour with it.” Another cringe. Finally Amber had all her silicone skin back on. She felt a little better as she felt more human.

“Ready to head back?” Jonghyun asked with a yawn and Amber nodded her head. They thanked the scientist and got in the car, Amber being silent the entire way back. “Hey don’t pay any head to what he said. You are whatever you believe you are.”

“He said I was Frankenstein’s monster. How am I supposed to believe anything if I am just an experiment meant for nothing more that to do whatever I am programed for?” Amber said voice breaking half way through.

“He’s old he isn’t up with the times. There are people coming out everyday, as something there weren’t originally. You aren’t going through this alone.” He said glancing over at her. Amber felt awful. She didn’t know what she was. Who would validate her? She needed someone to tell her she was a person. A real person.

When they returned to the mansion Jonghyun helped her to her room. “take another rest you can start work tomorrow morning. Don’t think too hard about what he said you’re the coolest girl I know.” He said trying to be comforting. When he closed the door Amber sat on the bed and did exactly what he said not to. She thought long and hard about what the scientist said. Logically she was Frankenstein’s Monster there was no doubt. Was she that repulsive to others though that no one wanted to be close to her? There was a knock on the door and Jessica let herself in. It was quite a surprise to see one of the princesses in the old building.

“Hey, mind if I sit and stay awhile?” She asked sitting down next to her before she could reply. Amber nodded anyway. “Jonghyun told me what was bothering you and asked me to come talk to you. Tell me in your words.”

“I asked the scientist if I was human and he told me that I was an experiment. An IT. He then compared me to Frankenstein’s Monster. Am I really that horrible? Every time I look in the mirror I see something that looks human but is really nothing but a shell. How can I not be real? I feel real but am I not?” Amber tried to explain but could only explain it like that. It frustrated her that she couldn’t articulate what she meant.

“He says you’re an because you were made in a lab? That’s a low blow from that scientist. You are real you are sitting here and having a discussion with me about mental and emotional things something that not just any normal being would do. You are you. You are Amber and she is an amazing person.” The older girl said touching Amber’s hand. “My best friend for most of my life was a boy. Last year he became a girl because that’s what he felt he was. When she was a boy she suffered a lot, she was very suicidal but when she transitioned she was happier and full of life. You know who you are supposed to be. Make the transition so that you can be happy.”