Acceptance

Mechanical Love

“Jessica what the hell?” Krystal said watching Amber run to the forest.

“Listen up. Whatever happens you cannot tell father. He’ll destroy her if you do.” She hissed at her sister in all seriousness.

“What why would he do that? Where is she going?”

“If she leaves before he gets over here and you keep your mouth shut about what you saw she can get fixed and live. I’m going to go after her make sure she gets away.” The older one replied standing up.

“What? No I want to go. I can catch up to her.” Krystal interjected shooting up and running in the direction Amber went before Jessica could say anything. She coughed as she ran but it didn’t bother her she needed to find Amber and understand the situation a bit better. She ran as fast as she could despite the yelling from behind her. “Amber!” she called and called again as she searched around the woods. “Amber!” she yelled coughing violently thus having to stop in her tracks.

“Krystal?” the others voice said quietly. Krystal turned toward the direction of the voice to see a figure covered in shadow behind a tree. “What are you doing here?”

“Amber? Thank god.” She breathed with a sigh of relief taking a step closer to the other but stopped short when the Amber took a step back.

“Please don’t come near me.” She whispered.

“I want you to explain the situation to me. Now come out this instant.” The princess demanded. Hesitantly Amber stepped out of the shadows into the light giving Krystal a better view of the others face. Half her face was metal with gooey pieces of skin dripping from her face. It still surprised Krystal despite her having already seen the other this way. “St-Start talking.”

“I am Amber, Automated Metal Being with Efficient Reasoning, a prototype AI for a man who is trying to get funding from the government. Your father stated that in order for him to get funding I had to become your servant for at least 6 months without you finding out about me not being human. If you did find out he said I would be scrapped. I-I don’t want to be scrapped. This world is full of so many amazing things. I like being here. I like being with you.” The metal being whispered the last part looking away from the human.

Krystal couldn’t believe it. She was in love with a robot. What would the others say? Why would her father do that to both of them? That was something harsh that she thought he would never say.

“Krystal.” Amber snapped the other out of her thoughts. “If you plan to confront your father about this I understand completely. If that is what you wish to do I will not hesitate to go back to him and face my consequences for failing his request.” Krystal stood silent for a moment taking in everything the other had said. Why did she all of a sudden change her mindset? She was so scared to die yet if I wanted to do something she was willing to lay down her life again.

“Listen up I don’t give two s if you’re human or a robot or a computer. I love you.” She practically shouted at the AI. “I don’t want you to be scrapped but what he did was also out of line. I won’t be saying anything to him about it for now but when the time is right I will bring it up and make sure you are not destroyed.”

“Krystal…” Ambers skin side of her face had tears in her eye as she took another step forward and hugged the girl. “Thank you. Thank you.”

“Is there anyway we can fix your face so that my father won’t notice.” Krystal asked and Amber told her about how Jonghyun could get them to the scientist. She called up Jonghyun who met them both at a road a little ways from the house.

“You guys alright?” he asked as they got into the back seat of the car. Amber nodded and they left to return to the scientist. Krystal held onto Amber’s hand the entire way there and up to the house. The robot held up her arm but hesitated to knock before looking over at Jonghyun who nodded at her. Softly she knocked on the door. Rustling could be heard from inside before it opened revealing the scientist with a surprised look.

“Oh my god AMBER. What happened?” he asked before realizing that Krystal was next to her. “Oh no. You’re Krystal. Oh no. Did your father send you to demand me to scrap it?” Krystal noted Amber flinching at the use of the word it just like Jonghyun had. She looked at him with a smile before saying

“Why don’t we talk about this inside.”