XIX.

Bad

All good things comes to an end.

.... i'm sorry JoonMin fans please don't kill me x.x

---------------------------------------

 

Hyomin pulled the notebook out again in the afternoon, finding the right page, and turned to lie on her stomach on her bed. The middle of the book was covered with more drawings. She'd sketched the interior of a house. A large room with ornate lights hanging down and a man and a woman wearing what looked like bathrobes. The floor of the room was chequered black and white. On a table were glasses and a large jug or vase. A girl lay curled up on a couch; she had long hair. Her clothes were nondescript, but she wore trousers and a shirt.

Hyomin flipped forward a few pages and found a very short entry.

Bitterly cold. Always so cold here. My mother says we are going to move. Now that she's getting better, she wants to live somewhere warmer. I don't care. I don't care about anything any more. You are gone. And my choice seems clearer than ever.

She frowned. Jaejoong had said there was no happy ending to this. There was nothing to stop her reading through to the end of the book, but she didn't want to. In a strange kind of way she needed to hang on to each entry. It made her feel closer to Jaejoong. Hyomin had a feeling that once she had read everything and finished the book then he might fade away.

She got off the bed and put the book away in her drawer, burrying it beneath her clothes, where it couldn't be found, and then paused to look out of the window.

The trees were looking a little greener now. Spring was on its way.

She turned to see the Breton striped top on her chair. She slipped it on over her T-shirt and gave herself a quick inspection in the mirror. It was cute and it smelled of her mother.

Feeling in a good mood, Hyomin decided to take Bobby for a walk into town.

Downstairs, she flipped through her address book to find Joon's number, and after dialing the number she waited at the thought of a spontaneous meeting.

"Hey." The familiar girl's voice on the end of the phone startled Hyomin. So much that she was speechless for a second or two.

"Hello?" Hyuna's tone was back to its insolent drawl. "Anybody there?"

Hyomin cleared . "Um ... It's Hyomin."

"Oh hi." Just like that, the petulance turned to something much more syrupy sweet. "How are you, Hyomin?"

"Fine." She hesitated. She had nothing to say to her. "Is Joon there?"

"Hold on a minute, babe. I'll go and find him."

Babe?

Heavy footsteps got louder and she heard his breathing. Hyomin adjusted her own, which was all out of sync.

"Hey, Hyomin. I was just about to call you," siad Joon. "You ran off yesterday before I had a chance to make plans with you."

"Oh," she said, coyly, pleased. "I didn't exactly run off."

He laughed, a slow affectionate laugh, making her insides somersault. "Good. Want to do something now?"

"I was thinking of taking the dog for a walk. I thoguht, you know, we could hook up?"

"Want me to come up the hill?"

"It's a mountain. But no ... I thought I'd take him down to town. He likes the chance to mingle with other dogs from time to time."

"Does he indeed?" Joon teased. "Do you think he'd mind a pitstop at my favourite cafe?"

"He loves Eunjung," Hyomin smiled. "She spoils him with leftover burgers. Shall we meet there in, say, half an hour?"

"I can't wait," said Joon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was finally warm enough to wear her jacket loose, with just her new-old striped top on underneath it, as Bobby and Hyomin made their way down the track and over on to the rugged path leading to Jungamno. She breathed in deeply, remembering how spring can make you feel so exhilarated when it appears out of nowhere. A few degrees higher in temperature and everything changes. Hyomin lifted her face up to the sun and felt her heart lifting too. She was glad she was meeting Joon. He was right, she had rushed off. She'd got things out of proportion. Whatever her reasons, wasn't it good that Kim Hyuna was trying to make amends?

Bobby scampered ahead and she picked up her pace to catch him before he ran into the road.

"Bobby!" Hyomin jangled the lead to entice him back. Unsurprisingly he wasn't tempted but stood obediently, waiting for her to catch him up. Hyomin slipped the lead on him, pausing to give him a rub.

"I'm happy, Bobby," she whispered into his silky head.

Bobby cocked his head to one side, bemused, and Hyomin ran a finger over his soft ear.

"Right then," she told him. "You want one of Eunjung's special horizontal milkshakes?"

Bobby gave an enthusiastic bark and she stood and tugged his lead.

"Let's run," Hyomin said, lengthening her strides. "All the way there."

--------------------------------------------------

By the time they reached Jungamno's main street, Hyomin was out of breath and way too hot, so she slowed. Hyomin had to compose herself before she saw Joon. She stopped and put her hands on her knees, gradually recovering her breath, before straightening up and taking off her jacket, running her hands through her hair to calm it down.

"Okay," she puffed her cheeks. "I think I'm ready." She pulled the dog along the pavement and when they reached Fabio's, Hyomin stood slightly on tiptoe, peering over the net curtain.

He was in there, perched on a counter stool as usual. And next to him, swinging from side to side on her seat, tossing her silly brown mane around, was Hyuna.

Hyomin dropped back on to her feet, her breath coming quickly now.

He brought her? Why?

Bobby whined, confused as she remained standing on the spot. Hyomin looked down at him as though he would provide some remedy to the situation.

"Shut up!" She heard her say, loud, confident.

"Seriously." Joon's voice, more gregarious than usual. "They're vicious animals. They're not cute."

In spite of herself, Hyomin raised her head again to look at them. Joon had his hand on her shoulder, rubbing it as he talked. His face was animated and his free hand thumped the counter.

"They are! Koala bears are cute!" she protested.

Was she even wearing a skirt? All Hyomin could glimpse was acres of black leg.

"They bite," he said, lunging at her as though to nip her cheek with his teeth.

Hyomin was suddenly freezing cold. She shivered, touching the top of Bobby's head with her palm.

And she felt nauseous.

"Behave yourself, you," Hyomin heard him say. "Hyomin will be here any minute."

She couldn't even hear what Hyuna said in response. She tipped her head against the glass, but all she heard was a rushing sound in her ears.

Hyomin stayed there though. Tired all of a sudden. And humiliated.

Hyuna had spoiled everything. Or was it Joon?

Then she looked down at Bobby, who was cold too, she could tell. He looked back up at me. "Come on, boy," she said quietly. "Let's go home."

Keeping her head down. Hyomin put her jacket back on hugging it to her, as the dog shuffled alongside her in apparent sympathy.

------------------------

The walk back home was slow, and the clouds had gathered. The sun had gone in.

Oh boy, had the sun gone in.

When they finally got back to the track, Hyomin released bobby and watched him fly up to the house. Watched as Hwayoung appeared out of the back door, home from her sleepover and come forward to cuddle him. Spotting Hyomin, she waved, smiling, and Hyomin lifted a hand limply in return.

Hyomin couldn't face anyone right now. She knew where she wanted to be.

------------------------------------------------

 

So ...

I'm just gonna hide in a cave now.

/gulps/